German GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JamesS
JamesS

Re: German Grand Prix 2008

bazanaius wrote:I can understand some people finding the aero parts on the cars ugly, but at the same time I shall miss them next year. It shows off some incredible integration and manufacturing expertise on the side of the teams. that mirror/sidepod/aero device is gorgeous as a solution.
The bits bolted on shows technological progress, IMO.

I can see 2009 cars taking time to get used to, in terms of watching them on TV.

Conceptual
Conceptual

JamesS wrote:
bazanaius wrote:I can understand some people finding the aero parts on the cars ugly, but at the same time I shall miss them next year. It shows off some incredible integration and manufacturing expertise on the side of the teams. that mirror/sidepod/aero device is gorgeous as a solution.
The bits bolted on shows technological progress, IMO.

I can see 2009 cars taking time to get used to, in terms of watching them on TV.
Taking bets on how many teams copy this and ditch their cockpit wings by next race!

RBR/STR - 3:1
Renault - 4:1
Toyota - 4:1
Williams 3:1
Mclaren 6:1
Ferrari 10:1

And why isn't Ferrari donating seamless shift gearboxes to FIF1 for data collection purposes? You would think that the ECU programming could be done jointly as well.

I think that if Ferrari were really interested, VJM would put a ton of money into co-development on technology.

I think that is the future of F1 actually, if you want cost reduction, co-development could immediately reduce by 30% or more.

Anyways,

Times look good, and as always I will watch with a big grin when the announcers are besides themselves when whatever underdog God smiles upon on Sunday finishes WAY above their car.

If it rains, Look for a podium or win from Alonso!

Chris

bar555
bar555

Unfortunately no rain is predicted during race :|
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

chasefreak
chasefreak

lewis on pole
he seems to have the momentum
kimi seems to be on heavy fuel load....
massa is trying o prove a point or something
any guess who will win

Steven
Owner

Qualifying is done, and Hamilton is on pole
:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/9891

This session, and particularly Q1 showed what a difficult track Hockenheim is to get a bit of free space ahead of you. Many drivers were held up during Q1.

Another note is again the great qualifyings of Alonso and Trulli, while Raikkonen is disappointing. I'm not sure why, he's been slower than Massa all weekend... any thoughts?

timbo
timbo

Tomba wrote:Another note is again the great qualifyings of Alonso and Trulli, while Raikkonen is disappointing. I'm not sure why, he's been slower than Massa all weekend... any thoughts?
Maybe it is Kimi's summer vacancy time like last year?
On a serious note, his car seemed to be nervous and probably Massa's style (he seem to be smoother) works better on such type of a track.

bar555
bar555

1:15.666 the number of the ..... 'Hamilton's beast' :wink:
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

axle
axle

Did anyone else notice that McLaren are using the oval side pod intake ala Silverstone? ;)
- Axle

Moanlower

Kimi often seems to struggle to find the right setup and messes up by going in the wrong direction. I remember how upbeat Kimi was at Barcelona if i'm not mistaken saying how pleased he was finally finding the right setup that he's been looking for. I uess it was more of plain luck.
Kimi might be one of the fastest in a great car with the right setup but don't ask to much of him when it comes to finding a good setup cuz he might be lost.

This is also the main reason why I rate Fernando higher than Kimi.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

donskar
donskar

Just catching up on German GP here at work . . .

Simply astonishing that Honda's drivers admit that 14th and 18th on the grid represent the best they can get out of that car! All that money . . . How much longer can Honda stomach this blotch on their reputation?

Comments from the Ferrari camp are very gloomy in tone if not in actual words. Reading between the lines their tone is more "we'll do the best we can" than "we can win." If Hamilton wins as decisively tomorrow as he did in GB, it could be over. Very surprising about Kimi's lack of performance (and seeming lack of fire). He's never shown much emotion, but he seems too passive even for Kimi. He does not seem to be fired up about defending his championship.

Nice to see Toyota showing some speed. Maybe the second level is now BMW, Toyota, Red Bull? BMW seems to have shot their bolt for this year.

Good to hear Nico R say he is definitely staying at Williams. They need him, but he deserves a better car. Let's hope Williams can somehow find more performance. Can't see them coming up with the resources needed to develop a winner under next year's new requirements.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

Some surprising results for a dry qualifying. Trulli and Alonso are unusually high on the grid. Red Bull puts 3 cars into the top ten which speaks for Neweys 2008 car design. Significantly Vettel splits the RBRs and justifies his future promotion. BMW are still playing a very dumb game on Saturday morning. They always run low lap numbers and only on heavey fuel loads. They should routinely let Heidfeld do 10-15 additional laps on low fuel. He is usually 2 tenth slower than Kubica unless he can familiarise himself with the conditions and hone himself to the pace. with a bit of training that shouldn't be so drastic as it was today. again Nick missed out on Kubica in Q2 by two tenth and in the end that meant a difference of five places. when will they learn. or are they hell bent to get rid of Nick?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

waynes
waynes

Where are Toyota's F1 team based again?

Kimi is fuelled heavy, he isnt comfortable with the car on a 2 lap run but on a long stint its quicker than the McLaren

we'll see

Steven
Owner

waynes wrote:Where are Toyota's F1 team based again?

Kimi is fuelled heavy, he isnt comfortable with the car on a 2 lap run but on a long stint its quicker than the McLaren

we'll see
Indeed, we'll have to wait and see about Kimi. He hasn't been quick on Friday too, so I'm not sure what to expect.

As for Toyota, they are in Cologne, Germany.

EAKMotorsports
EAKMotorsports

I´m mad Hamilton is so dirt driver. I hate FIA for that, I´m mad furious.
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` * EAK

Steven
Owner

EAKMotorsports wrote:I´m mad Hamilton is so dirt driver. I hate FIA for that, I´m mad furious.
As I wrote in my GP report, I agree that he didn't drive cleanly and should we watched closely by the FIA. Pushing someone off the track to pass him is on the limit, but when you do it twice in two laps, it's not a coincidence anymore.

Anyway, great drive from Piquet, he held on to it nicely. I'm sorry for Fernando and I understand he was angry and therefore drove his Renault a bit harder than it apparently can handle. I feel for him though as the problematic traction out of corners costs him deerly in race conditions, despite setting very nice qualifying times.