3? place penalty ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
modbaraban
modbaraban

Re: 3? place penalty ?

myurr wrote:Read my post again - I was grumpy at the Heidfeld penalty - I had no idea at the time what Rubens was fined for and therefore said I didn't have an opinion on it. I was only commenting on the Heidfeld incident.
Noew perhaps I misunderstood something. What was the 'Heidfeld incident' you were talking about then? :)
Last edited by modbaraban on 28 Sep 2008, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

andartop
andartop

I think when you look at the video it is clear Rubens had at least half a car's width of space on the outside, and Heidfeld an equal amount of space on the inside. Combine the two and you have enough space for both! I have not seen any telemetry I must admit, so this is just the impression that I get from the video. It is worth thinking though how did the rest of the drivers avoid to get themselves in a similar situation? I can hardly believe this was the only instance during the whole quali that 2 cars found themselves in similar positions on the track. Of course I could be wrong, I was not there. If that was not the case it should become apparent tomorrow. If there really is no way for the drivers to accommodate 2 cars on that part of the track without blocking each other I expect half the grid to be penalised with drive thrus during the race. If that does not happen then we can all agree it was indeed Heidfeld's fault!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

myurr
myurr

modbaraban wrote:Noew perhaps I misunderstood something. What was the 'Heidfeld incident' you were talking about.
The one where he 'held' up Rubens gaining himself a 3 (roll that dice and see what comes up) grid slot penalty.

myurr
myurr

andartop wrote:I think when you look at the video it is clear Rubens had at least half a car's width of space on the outside, and Heidfeld an equal amount of space on the inside. Combine the two and you have enough space for both! I have not seen any telemetry I must admit, so this is just the impression that I get from the video. It is worth thinking though how did the rest of the drivers avoid to get themselves in a similar situation? I can hardly believe this was the only instance during the whole quali that 2 cars found themselves in similar positions on the track. Of course I could be wrong, I was not there. If that was not the case it should become apparent tomorrow. If there really is no way for the drivers to accommodate 2 cars on that part of the track without blocking each other I expect half the grid to be penalised with drive thrus during the race. If that does not happen then we can all agree it was indeed Heidfeld's fault!
It is my *opinion*, and I could be wrong, that for Heidfeld to take the tighter line he would have had to have been slower through the previous corner and therefore Rubens would just have come up behind him earlier.

myurr
myurr

myurr wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote:Lots of stuff about Tony Scott Andrews being a permanent steward since the beginning of 2007.
Bit of a shame that Mr Tony Scott Andrews stepped down at the end of the 2007 season then isn't it :P
Should add that as far as I am aware he hasn't been replaced since then - which is one of the criticisms leveled at the FIA.

boci
boci

I think that the pitlane line was actually changed from yesterday because on the video that modbaraban posted you can see that the line is erased at the point where Barrichello enters the pitlane.

Looks like Heidfeld hadn't known about the change and got cought out.

WhiteBlue

They now have a stewards political advisor in the person of Mr. Donnelly. He seems to be the most useless person in the system. If he has done anything then it is making decisions worse.

I have said from first practise that the pits are completely effed up. Only the dumb stewardsapparently have never heared of that.

Rubens penalty of 10.000 $ is at least consistent. That seems to be the rate for going over the line unforced.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ciro Pabón

Sigh... myurr. I already said that this was LAST year news. Do you want me to google who's the chief permanent steward for you? I was complaining about posts that ask for a permanent steward, but there is no worse deaf that the one that does not want to hear. Besides, I bet you think I don't know F1...

Thank the gods we have now WB's post to clarify who's intelligent and who's not. I bet he would do better as steward, specially in Heidfeld case. What would you say to Rubens, White? That he's not into a BMW? :)

I'm marveled at the impartiality of your posts.

Every time someone complains about decisions, is about the decisions that somehow interfere with his team (and lately, any decision is wrong for Hamilton's enshriners, as if he needed to be enshrined: how many times has he said in the last month that he's the best driver in the world? I've already lost count).

I'm truly fed up with ignorant posts ranting about FIA or Ferrari. Yes, I belong to FIA, but only because I'm a member of my local club, as all of you, I guess.

I don't like Ferrari in particular, but I certainly dislike posts that criticize the work of other without having the slight idea what they're talking about, IMHO. I have to read posts that say that the FIA is sold to Ferrari in a decision that involves Honda and BMW. Ridiculous.

Besides, why should we need stewards? Any time they make a mistake, we can detect it on the TV and besides, you can claim that you detect by TV that the stewards are sold.

I bet you would be happy if decision were made by polling the public, altough I'm afraid the results won't make britons happy unless they only polled britons.

I guess you would be happy at the Roman Coliseum, where decisions were made by the mob, pointing their thumbs up or down.

Oh, my. What's happening to my beloved F1? Are we really thinking that is full of crooks, liars and bad drivers? Then, what in heaven are you doing posting here?

At least Boci points to an explanation, altough I have to say that I was pretty well informed that the entrance was modified, before the qualy. I live, I dont' know, about 20.000 km from Singapore. If Heidfeld made a mistake, then whose fault is? The stewards and Ferrari? 8)
Ciro

WhiteBlue

Ciro Pabón wrote:....Thank the gods we have now WB's post to clarify who's intelligent and who's not. I bet he would do better as steward, specially in Heidfeld case. What would you say to Rubens, White? That he's not into a BMW? :)

I'm marveled at the impartiality of your posts.

Every time someone complains about decisions, is about the decisions that somehow interfere with his team (and lately, any decision is wrong for Hamilton's enshriners, as if he needed to be enshrined: how many times has he said in the last month that he's the best driver in the world? I've already lost count).
why don't we stick to the facts Ciro? Rubens had a choice to do an outlap and not cut across the line. cutting the line has been penalized in Valencia already. to be consistent the stewards had to hand out the penalty.

Heidfeld did nothing wrong, he is supposed to slow down while entering the pits. Unfortunately the racing line for Rubens was interferring with the pit lane entry.

It's not true that I'm a Merc fan. But I found the Spa decision wrong. One can criticise stewards for obvious failures and still try to be objective.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Rob W

God, the FIA are in need of a:

Building a track which basically ensures complaints and penalties on this corner.. :roll:

R

Ciro Pabón

WhiteBlue wrote:It's not true that I'm a Merc fan. But I found the Spa decision wrong. One can criticise stewards for obvious failures and still try to be objective.
I haven't even stated what I think about the incident. The stewards can be wrong, but calling the stewards bribed or useless, well... requires more proof.
Ciro

persovik

Ciro, we can all agree that stewarding is difficult, but does that mean that stewards shouldn't be criticized? Given that stewarding is difficult, shouldn’t we ask for competent people to do the job? And not only stewarding of course, the whole pit entry - pit exit story clearly shows that there is a lot of incompetence in key positions when there is such an obvious solution to the problem, and no-one seems capable of thinking of it, let alone implement it.
Both entry and exit could easily be routed inside the kerbs of the last and first corner respectively, and I am amazed and appalled that this hasn’t been done.
Is there any other explanation than idiocy, incompetence and arrogance?
"Rules are for the interpretation of wise men, and the obedience of fools." -Colin Chapman-
"Trying is the first step towards failure." -Homer Simpson-

freedom_honda

the pit design is stupid.
actually to be honest i think the whole track design is even worse than valencia.
anyways back to the topic, it was not heidfeld's fault for blocking Rubens. but he did blocked Rubens, which according to the rule book he should get a penalty.

myurr
myurr

Ciro Pabón wrote:Sigh... myurr. I already said that this was LAST year news. Do you want me to google who's the chief permanent steward for you? I was complaining about posts that ask for a permanent steward, but there is no worse deaf that the one that does not want to hear. Besides, I bet you think I don't know F1...
That's an awful big high horse you have there. Yes you said it was last years news, but all the information contained in your post is a year out of date. As white blue has pointed there is a permanent adviser, who is a political appointee of the FIA and does not appear to be widely accepted, but if you actually listened to what I was saying then you would have seen that this is not what I was asking for in the slightest.

I, and many others, want to see a permanent panel of stewards - preferably appointed by common vote amongst all the teams. This is wildly different from the situation we have now where we have three different stewards at every race advised by an FIA representative.

It shouldn't matter how difficult the rules are to judge as long as there is some semblance of impartiality, fairness, and consistency. It is very hard to argue that recent decisions have been consistent.

Even taking this incident as an example - why suddenly give out a 3 grid place drop when in the past there have been 5 grid place penalties, fines, deletion of times, etc.?

Shaddock

Ciro Pabón wrote: I don't like Ferrari in particular, but I certainly dislike posts that criticize the work of other without having the slight idea what they're talking about, IMHO. I have to read posts that say that the FIA is sold to Ferrari in a decision that involves Honda and BMW. Ridiculous.
How can the FIA be truly impartial if Max's representative at each race has financial links to Ferrari ?

Donnelly is the Executive Chairman of a Sovereign Strategy, a company that lists both the FIA and Formula One Management Ltd among its clients. It has previously boasted of working for Ferrari :!:

Donnelly is/was a carreer politician who served 10 years as a Labour MEP at the european parliment. Donnelly, a divorcé who has revealed he is gay, was elected as Labour MEP for Tyne and Wear in 1989. He became leader of the European parliamentary party in 1997. As such, he declared a £6,000 payment from the FIA to help with the cost of an assistant.

He became known as a Blair loyalist but embarrassed the party when it was revealed by The Sunday Times in May 1999 that he had been leased a 4-litre Daimler car at a massive discount, saving him almost £30,000, which he did not declare