Brazil GP 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
modbaraban
modbaraban

Re: Brazil GP 2008

Project Four wrote:
meves wrote:Interesting that Renault is top. They have made great leaps and bounds and has anyone seen what http://www.grandprix.com/race/r803p3report.html are on about with the renault flexing wing?
Just found a very short clip on youtube that does show the Renault wing moving. The upper plane does seem to move towards lower plane as the car goes over the bump. Now this maybe well be an optic illusion as the wing would have past all the Bridge of Doom checks,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OlC-7L8L2TE
I looks like it's not flexing but acting like a damper :wtf:

donskar
donskar

A good test: Massa has a chance at the title if he can keep it between the white lines. Hamilton can take the crown if he can control himself.

Hamilton certainly deserves the WDC, and Massa has shown plenty of speed. And he has done especially well when you consider he was up against the WDC as his team mate.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I recon that Massa has a good chance, Hamilton as well if they can exersice personal control.

However, i can see there being a non Ferarri or McLaren winning if Trullli can show his levels of spped and show that the Toyota can do something. However, could he be pulling the same strategy as last year, and do a 3 stopper??? With that last year he started 8th and finished 8th.

But Hamilton has it all to do, he has both Ferarris and a surprisingly fast Toyota in front of him, and his worst enemy directly behid him in Alonso, His only lifeline is Hekki being beside him on the grid. If theres a mistake to be made in the first couple of corners, and Hamilton makes one, he has many fast cars to overtake, and many of them wont budge over as easily as some of them did last year.

Somthing says to me that McLaren are scared about the Merceedies Engine in Hamiltons car with him not doing that many laps in Quali. Also, will McLaren change the brakes on both their cars, as Ferarri do, or will they just simply grind a little off them like they traditionaly do between Quali and the Race.

But Tomorrow will be full of emotion, a new WDC crowned, and at least one driver will be retiring. I feel that Rubens showed us something today at the end Quali 2 when he went onto the pit wall to thank all the Brazilian fans, also with him wearing a replica helmet of his Mentor, all that looks like a retirement is also imminent for Rubens as well. And with DC retiring, all this will add a little extra spice to a already spicy race.

I am looking forward to it.

axle
axle

It definately appears that Massa is lighter, and that McLaren are banking on it being wet or doing a long first stint, low downforce will stop anyone out dragging them in a straight line, so defence should be easy enough. I expect Trulli and Massa to pit on the same lap and the other about 4-6 laps later, it's a risky strategy for Massa and one that mean he MUST lead into the first corner and race away with Kimi controlling the pace of the pack.

With the intervention of rain, I hope McLaren arn't too low on downforce to compete. Though I'm sure they've factored that in...
- Axle

rjsa
rjsa

This was a happy day at the track. Tomorrow TV only, and I'm pretty anxious.

It was funny, I was at a Santander sponsored McLaren corporate box. 1/3 Spanish, 2/3 Brazilian. Hamilton went there before FP3. The PR lady that 'interviewed' him kindly requested that everyone cheered him properly when he got there. It was OK. But during practice everyone was wanting McLaren to under perform.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Does anyone remember an example in Grand Prix history where the top 17 cars were within 1 sec in quali? That's what happened in Q1 today.

donskar
donskar

ESPImperium wrote:
However, i can see there being a non Ferarri or McLaren winning if Trullli can show his levels of spped and show that the Toyota can do something. However, could he be pulling the same strategy as last year, and do a 3 stopper??? With that last year he started 8th and finished 8th.
I fear Trulli will be nothing but trouble. He is an excellent qualifier, but in the race is often a slow-moving chicane. Best scenario for Massa: he leads into first turn, then Trulli and Kimi hold up the field and let him get away. I can't quite see Kimi playing a blocking role . . .
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Heres a question for Podium etiquette people;

If hamilton win the WDC, but finished say 4th to eighth, would he be allowed on to the podium to celebrate???

And another question for the Podium Ettiquette guys:

With DC retiring and posibly Rubhino retiring as well, would they be allowed on to the podium as well to thank the fans???

rjsa
rjsa

If he is WDC and 4th or more he will have no place on the podium. The WDC trophy will be presented in the year end gala.

tomislavp4

Great quali!!! =D>

I think that Massa will win this one, if nothing unpredictable happens that is :roll: BMW (read Kubica, can´t really expect anything from Nick) dissapointed but looking forward to the race tomorrow!

Motley
Motley

Tom Castellani wrote:http://www.itv-f1.com/photo.aspx?IM_ID=51062&PG_ID=22

... What the hell is that supposed to mean? Unless this is some weird technicality I don't get, ITV better fire their researchers. I'll be looking forward to '09 and a lack of ad with the BBC.

EDIT: Doh, they should be clearer. The Championship, of course D:
Farina won the WDC at his home Grand Prix in Italy in 1950, Massa has the chance to do so at his home grand prix this weekend. Hence the reference. Regardless of personal opinion, ITV are a national broadcasting company, I'm sure they hire decent researchers....

Ciro Pabón

modbaraban wrote:Does anyone remember an example in Grand Prix history where the top 17 cars were within 1 sec in quali? That's what happened in Q1 today.
Well, mod, Interlagos is a short track. For example, in 2006, 2nd qualy, the difference was 1 second between the 2nd and the 14th, and they weren't as "spec-ed" as they are today (and the first was Schumi, who made a "monstrous time"). Besides, Interlagos is heavy on engines because of the uphill parts and now you have limited RPM.

As you say, it is notable and a way to measure FIA's success in leveling the field, but not totally unexpected.

For the "etiquette guys":

If Massa wins, his family will wave the checkered flag. Same goes for Hamilton, if he wins.

For the "stats guys":

Of the 59 F1 championships, 25 have been decided in the last race. Not bad.

I wish I could say "may the best man wins"... but I'm afraid it's impossible. ;)
Ciro

shir0

From F1.com:

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren (4th, Q3 - 1m 12.830s):
"Congratulations to Felipe for achieving pole position in front of his home crowd - he did a great job today. But, tomorrow, I will be focusing on my own race: it will be a tough afternoon but I'm comfortable with the fuel strategy we chose; the guys in front are probably on a different strategy. But we're in a good position to finish in the same place as we are today - and that's got to be our aim. We don't need to do anything spectacular."
Now I have to say that I like Hamilton talking and acting this way...all conservative like. Full of confidence as a full-fledged WDC is supposed to be. I just hope his driving (and his strategy) would be as conservative and polished with the same confidence tomorrow. If he wins the WDC this way, my full respect goes to him. But, until then...

Although, if it rains...all bets are off!! :mrgreen:
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

Tom Castellani

Motley wrote:
Tom Castellani wrote:http://www.itv-f1.com/photo.aspx?IM_ID=51062&PG_ID=22

... What the hell is that supposed to mean? Unless this is some weird technicality I don't get, ITV better fire their researchers. I'll be looking forward to '09 and a lack of ad with the BBC.

EDIT: Doh, they should be clearer. The Championship, of course D:
Farina won the WDC at his home Grand Prix in Italy in 1950, Massa has the chance to do so at his home grand prix this weekend. Hence the reference. Regardless of personal opinion, ITV are a national broadcasting company, I'm sure they hire decent researchers....
Sorry, read my edit. It was the wording that caught me off guard, my mistake. If it had said 'win the title / championship' I would have got it right away. Because I'm a little bit slow and special I thought it just meant the race :D
The road to success is 20,832 meters long...

ISLAMATRON

shir0 wrote:
From F1.com:

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren (4th, Q3 - 1m 12.830s):
"Congratulations to Felipe for achieving pole position in front of his home crowd - he did a great job today. But, tomorrow, I will be focusing on my own race: it will be a tough afternoon but I'm comfortable with the fuel strategy we chose; the guys in front are probably on a different strategy. But we're in a good position to finish in the same place as we are today - and that's got to be our aim. We don't need to do anything spectacular."
Now I have to say that I like Hamilton talking and acting this way...all conservative like. Full of confidence as a full-fledged WDC is supposed to be. I just hope his driving (and his strategy) would be as conservative and polished with the same confidence tomorrow. If he wins the WDC this way, my full respect goes to him. But, until then...

Although, if it rains...all bets are off!! :mrgreen:
I hate it, I wish he was fighting for the win, rather then running thru the motions trying to maintain position in forth.... This points racing is crap and it shortchanges the fans... I want to see all the drivers all out all the time, balls to the wall. Points racing is for suckas!... the regs need to change, driver with the most wins should be WDC... point blank period.