Cool engine

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Ciro Pabón

Cool engine

http://www.atomracing.se/6M.html

The camdrive:

Thanks to Clag at Gp-lounge.com for the link.
Ciro

donskar
donskar

Re: Cool engine

OK, I'm guessing a W12. Whose?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ISLAMATRON

give me a 20B three rotor anytime over all this complicated W-9 6 camshaft stuff. Nice work though

Ciro Pabón

Close, close. It's a prototype for a thesis by Thomas Johansson:

3 liter W9, at 105 Kg (118 with pipes), 500 Hp, 12.500 rpm. Built in 13 months. Here is the thesis in PDF form:

http://epubl.ltu.se/1402-1617/2006/099/index-en.html

C'mon, Islam, maybe "when you have a hammer everything seems a nail". ;)

I have only praise for Mazda, but the excellent engine the 20B is has 2 liters and the core weighs around 140 kilos in racing configuration, around 300 kilos in the standard, all gadgets included, configuration that I have seen.

For me, the difference is not technical, but of means: the 20B is the work of a corporation during the 80's, this one is the work of one guy in one year and a half in the 00's, that's what catches my eye (and what, I think, proves that PCs have changed the world).
Ciro

Giblet
Giblet

Nice little read Ciro. I really enjoy new engine tech/concepts.

There is a website called halfbakery.com. I suggest you look at the car:engine section of the site, a bunch of very fertile minds there talking about the cutting age of engine tech.

Better than some troll who instead of discussing the content of your post, simply goes off on his own opinion of an old unrelated motor.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ISLAMATRON

Ciro Pabón wrote:Close, close. It's a prototype for a thesis by Thomas Johansson:

3 liter W9, at 105 Kg (118 with pipes), 500 Hp, 12.500 rpm. Built in 13 months. Here is the thesis in PDF form:

I have only praise for Mazda, but the excellent engine the 20B is has 2 liters and the core weighs around 140 kilos in racing configuration, around 300 kilos in the standard, all gadgets included, configuration that I have seen.

For me, the difference is not technical, but of means: the 20B is the work of a corporation during the 80's, this one is the work of one guy in one year and a half in the 00's, that's what catches my eye (and what, I think, proves that PCs have changed the world).
Excellant points Ciro, no doubt this engine is quite impressive, especially having been built by 1 guy in such short time. He even designed the pistons when he could have easily bought them off the shelf. PC's have definatly improved the quailty of home grown engineering for sure.

Just a note, the 3 rotors that I built up were easily picked up by hand by me & my cousin, so it had to be much less than 140kg... of course that didnt include turbos & piping.

donskar
donskar

Wouldn't it be great if such exciting engines could be found in F1 cars - or at least in F1 labs? Today's bright young engine designers would be well advised NOT to enter F1.

The last 1o years or so have seen a general stagnation in F1 engine development. But stop me before I go off on a rant . . .

donskar
donskar

Ciro Pabón wrote:Close, close. It's a prototype for a thesis by Thomas Johansson:

The thesis is an excellent read. I recommend it to all. A very good intro to "newbies" and a refresher course for others beyond that stage. The only disapponting aspect for me was the lack of discussion about head design -- combustion chamber size and shape, number of valves (4, but why?), design of intake and exhaust tracts, and camshft lift and duration. I'm nitpicking - it's a very good work.

jorektaylor
jorektaylor

Hi Ciro Pabón...
I have visited the link which you have posted here. I saw your assembly guidance. W9 technical data is very useful. I like the information about engine.
The design of intakes and exhaust channels is good. You have share a lovely information.

raceman

hmm

looks quite complex, but hey, nice engine pic Ciro

xpensive
xpensive

Not bad at all, coming from that particular University in Sweden that is...not mine, quite obviously :wink:

Wonder who paid for it all though?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

tomislavp4

Cool stuff, I envy him :) but it´s way too complicated... Anyway, talkin of cool engines, have you guys seen the EcoMotors new oposed cylinder engine? I really see potential in it, it´s sooo much simpler than this beast :wink: http://www.ecomotors.com/technology

SZ
SZ

Sorry to disagree.

That's an awful thesis with very little consideration as to why or why not anything is an ideal solution for anything. It's at the very least very well funded. I've read far better work on far more limited topics concerning engine development.

There's a key difference between a 20B at this. A 20B runs, and is well developed.

Don't be too quick to confuse 'bright young engineer' with 'flashy well-funded broad project'. They're far from the same.

Anyone having ever done any engine development will tell you that what's presented here is the very tip of the iceberg regards a running engine that lives up to its hyperbole... that includes a wide variety of engine development projects spanning 'what's achievable' from 'what's acceptable' at university level.

And a few very, very easy-to-find and very well reputed references give a very good breakdown of what's unfeasible about a W9 configuration... much of which isn't addressed in that particular engine design, one might add.

Having read that particular thesis I'm wondering where the rest of the work is.

gcdugas

tomislavp4 wrote:Cool stuff, I envy him :) but it´s way too complicated... Anyway, talkin of cool engines, have you guys seen the EcoMotors new oposed cylinder engine? I really see potential in it, it´s sooo much simpler than this beast :wink: http://www.ecomotors.com/technology
Yeah the W9 looks like a complicated beast and breaks no new ground. Conventional in every aspect. Impressive engineering from these students or student team leader. I still want to see innovation over refinement. This ecomotors engine shows fresh thinking. I know the answer lies in some sort of rotary valve or two stroke design. The conventional poppet valve engine simply uses way too much energy just to move the valve train. I guess this engine has to be a diesel as I cannot see (or imagine) a spark ignition working effectively in that combustion chamber shape. Unless you have radial spark plugs all perfectly timed, how could the flame front efficiently burn the mixture?

The Coates engine Clicky and Bishop Valve engine Clickyintrigue me more.
Last edited by gcdugas on 11 Aug 2009, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1

xpensive
xpensive

Interesting as well as very straihtforward comments there SZ, while I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one.

Though I miss a theory or hypothesis to be presented, tested and possily proven, to call it awful is to my mind out of line.

Believe me, I have seen far worse University work through the years, in Sweden as well as in Canada and the US.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"