2008 Barcelona Testing Thread (17 Nov - 19 Nov)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

2008 Barcelona Testing Thread (17 Nov - 19 Nov)

So whats the programme for each team???

Also whats going to be tested out there????

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: 2008 Barcelona Testing Thread (17 Nov - 19 Nov)

I believe that slicks will be ready for teams to test, so that's one thing on the programme list.

And maybe teams will have cars setup like the F2008K, a 2008 car that is KERS ready and/or simulates the package with ballast. And features some if not all of the 2009 aero features.

And some teams are going to be testing a number of new drivers, such as Toro Rosso and Honda.

Force India is going to have it's last test with Ferrari engines, as reported in the news section, and is not expected to test until testing resumes in early 2009, when the new chassis with the Mercedes engine is ready.

So there's plenty of work to be done for everyones, all excuses used for a lack of performance in 2008 have been thrown out the window. Hopefully teams like Honda can step it up and produce results next season, since that's all they have been talking about since who knows when. They have a very serious winter testing programme, according to them they have the largest available supply of tires, of which they saved for throughout the season. Although as I see it it's rather pointless, because next season they will have to use slicks.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

freedom_honda

I heard Honda are testing two cars this week. but i thought teams can only bring one car to testing?

WhiteBlue

mx_tifosi wrote:... Hopefully teams like Honda can step it up and produce results next season...., since that's all they have been talking about since who knows when......According to them they have the largest available supply of tires, of which they saved for throughout the season. Although as I see it it's rather pointless, because next season they will have to use slicks.
The old fox Brawn can be relied upon to pull such stunts. If you run grooved tyres consistently and have a conversion factor to slicks you can do a lot of evaluations on grooved. That may give you an advantage to early test a number of issues that other teams can't due to lack of tyres. :lol:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Conceptual
Conceptual

I'm looking forward to seeing some 2009 aero packages, and SLICKS!

It would be cool if on day 3, the teams opted for a 20 lap "scrimmage" race simulation. It would be like mini-races during the off season!

ernos5

WTF?!?!?!?! although i was prepared for the 09 aero spec' i am still amazed... :o

Last edited by ernos5 on 17 Nov 2008, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

Miguel
Miguel

OMG!!!! :o That's an IRL frontwing! I thought the modified FW30 looked wicked cool (a wider rear wing would have helped, though), but this is horrible. Can't be fast.

EDIT: One more picture of the BMW. Notice the cooling solutions. Has it been like this the whole year?
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

dumbdave
dumbdave

I'm never going to get used to this - looks like a smaller formula car :shock:

meves
meves

That is remarkably ugly! Williams must be happy they can dust off the Walrus design from a few years ago!

djos

WOW, looks like High Side-Pods are back - I for one rather like the look of it ... took me a few mins to get used to it, but now that I have, I like it! :-D

Btw, I stumbled across this 3/4 side view:

"In downforce we trust"

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

The rear wing is very interesting, and seeing the overall package it seems we'll have some variation but OMG...This front wing and Nose are Hideous!!!

I'm going to cry..

Sawtooth-spike

hummm, Interesting. That front wing looks really easy to take off in close racing. Bet DC is glad he retired.

What are the odd bits just behind the main wing on the BMW?

The only thing i really dont like is that silly little rear wing. Its looks almost like an after thought.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

theDr
theDr

the odd bits behind the wing are there to channel the air
so that some air is channelled away onto the sidepods.

Some teams already ran those those anyhow. Mclaren did before in 2005

freedom_honda

that gotta be the worst looking formula one car in history.
the rear wing just looks wrong.
and the high nose cone looks bloody awful with its MASSIVE nose.

Shaddock

A couple of things strike me from the photos. Looking at the front wing it looks like the top outboard flap will be the moveable unit. I wonder whether the driver will be able to operate the left and right independently of each other.

In the first & second photo what’s the object under (black, not the white vanes) the nose where the front keel used to be? It looks like it’s only on the right hand side of the car.