Points system to be scrapped for 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ernos5

Points system to be scrapped for 2009

Bernie wants to introduce a medal system that goes towards becoming the Formula 1 World Champion and scrap the points for driver championship, although they will be used for the constructor championship.

He wants to introduce this in time for next season (2009) :wtf:

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 1013.shtml

Personally I'm not sure about this, it could be interseting, the whole 2009 season will be a little "honkey-dorey" :lol: because of all these new changes to the sport

Sawtooth-spike

Re: Points system to be scrapped for 2009

So win the first 10 races so you dont have to turn up for the last 8.

Please please please can somebody stop the insanity!
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Beemer4

I reckon it'll be a good system because whoever wins the most GPs in that season will be champion and encourage drivers to fight for the win
Red Bull gives you wings

Sawtooth-spike

Yeah but there will be more team orders (for lack of a better word)
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

timbo

I don't like the idea...
But maybe there's something in it, maybe I'm just afraid of changes)))
However, the key thing I don't like in all this logic, is creating a tendency from single event. If Hamilton and Massa had same number of points last race won't be the same. It's all irrelevant. And it is also a half-assed attempt, or so it seems - would silver and bronze medals count in deciding a WDC? If yes, it is still a "points" system, and we only have medals instead of the points.

But there's aspect I would like to see - the increase of the role of single GP, something like pre-WWII racing, or like Grand Slam events in tennis today. Maybe the better idea would be to have event lasting a week, with all test and stuff, and maybe a several qualifying mini-races... Oh, I'm completely offtopic... But still if medal system would increase the GP-winner status, that maybe good.

Ouch, I guess I sound like mentally challenged... All in all I can't decide is medal system good or bad...

woohoo

nuts.
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

Rob W

Sawtooth-spike wrote:So win the first 10 races so you dont have to turn up for the last 8.

I agree. I'd like to see a points adjustment but not as far as Bernie is going.. maybe going 12-8-6-5-4.... and offering a point each for pole and fastest lap... That way a dominant win could earn you 14 points compared to 8 for the second placed driver.. but a driver who was on pole but had his day ruined with a puncture etc could still pick up a couple of points despite not finishing on the podium.

R

repaf1

I think the 10-6-4-3-2-1 points systems was by far the best. It rewards the race winner's more than the current system, which rewards the most consistant drivers (Remember, the new systems was brought in to deter an early championship winner, which at that time was Schui/Ferrari, as they were dominating each race at that time, the championship was boring)

Also, Q3 should be done on LOW FUEL. qualifying should be about the drivers who can perfrom the ultimate fastest lap. the race stratgy (fuel load) should have no part in qualifying, IMO

Sawtooth-spike

Also Make sence of this

He wants Each driver to push Each weekend as if its there last, But the cars engine and Gearbox must last more than one weekend. So You Cant just treat each weekend as a seperate entity as you have to think about how pushing to hard could effect your engine for the next race.

1 engine per weekend and this system would be fine. Anything else us just silly!

Jersey Tom

Seemed to be a pretty good championship this year.. no?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Project Four

Rob W wrote:
Sawtooth-spike wrote:So win the first 10 races so you dont have to turn up for the last 8.

I agree. I'd like to see a points adjustment but not as far as Bernie is going.. maybe going 12-8-6-5-4.... and offering a point each for pole and fastest lap... That way a dominant win could earn you 14 points compared to 8 for the second placed driver.. but a driver who was on pole but had his day ruined with a puncture etc could still pick up a couple of points despite not finishing on the podium.

R
Totally agree Rob W,

A points adjustment that encourages wins, poles, fastest laps, would be far better than a medal system that will only reward the top three. As Sawtooth-spike stated get gold in ten races and then don’t turn up for the remaining races.

Ecclestone was quoted in the UK newspaper ‘The Times’ as saying that
‘this will encourage overtaking’
I don’t see how this system will encourage overtaking if you are outside of the top three or four. We have just had one of the most exciting finishes to a championship season, with a driver fighting and overtaking to finish 5th.

i70q7m7ghw

They are only making a fuss because everyone at Ferrari was moaning to the FIA about how Massa won the last race but didn't win the championship. Di Montezemolo lambasted anything that didn't go Ferrari's way. After Singapore he said the Singapore circuit was bad and he doesn't want to see any more street circuits... would he have said that if they won? After Brazil he said how the points system was wrong and the person who won the most races should win the championship... oh hang on that would have been that young Ferrari driver... would he have said that if Massa had won the championship?

2008 was one of the best F1 seasons for a long time, part of me thinks the technical regulations probably didn't need changing so much but OK we'll go with that. But the points system?! There is nothing wrong with it! If there was going to be one change it would be to return to the older system where the only the top 6 positions give points... but wasn't the current system put in place to stop drivers like Schumacher running away with the championship year after year? Just look at this year, Kubica was in contention for the title because he was just so consistant - why would we want to change this?

The fact is McLaren and Ferrari both made big mistakes this year and that's what made the championship so hard for both parties.

Principessa

timbo

Yes, but that was not looking like some serious proposal. Now it is a topic for an official hearing...

DaveKillens

The emphasis will be on only winning, nothing else. Teams will have to decide very early in the season who is number one driver, and who will support. These tactics will wreak havoc on the engine rule... do you run one engine flat out for just two races, to win, and just hope for the powerplant to last for the third race? I's personally play those odds.. two out of three ain't bad, and would be good enough to capture the WDC.
After one of the most exciting finishes to a season, now we will see the WDC decided by a very dumbed-down method. Even a very obtuse individual from Butt-f**k Nowhere could understand this new system.

Oh, and believe it or not, qualifying will be even more important.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.