Server problems

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Server problems

Guys,

I'm really sorry for any problems you have encountered during the day, I hope it stays away now. I've been having discussions all day with the hosting company, I hope we can resolve it quickly.

Anyway, we were the first with images of the Ferrari F60, the first with our news, the first article about the F60 to be reported on Digg, so it's not really down to a lack of effort.

I'm doing all I can to have this resolved by the time Toyota launches in 3 days.

Regards,
Steven

jddh1

Re: Server problems

Best of luck, tomba.

seems like working now, otherwise I wouldn't be able to post. just hoping it's past us.

Steven
Owner

Well, I've just spent 6 hours in getting to run my code profiler, analyse the bottlenecks and implement some additional caching to alleviate the load on the webserver.

The forum problems are a result of the server being loaded too much, and when that occurs it automatically shuts down temporarily.

In an attempt to improve the situation, drastic caching was added for the news articles display, which, even to my own surprise, can reduce the page's rendering time to one third of what it previously was.

May I hereby ask to report any problem you encounter as soon as you can?

Thanks,
Steven

db__

Hi Tomba

Good luck getting everything working - life just isn't right when I can't access your site!

I'm still getting some problems with the site - if I put the site root in the browser (http://www.f1technical.net) it's showing as unavailable but accessing via a deep link (ie posting.php?mode=reply&f=7&t=6269) seems to work.

D

Steven
Owner

db__ wrote:Hi Tomba

Good luck getting everything working - life just isn't right when I can't access your site!

I'm still getting some problems with the site - if I put the site root in the browser (http://www.f1technical.net) it's showing as unavailable but accessing via a deep link (ie posting.php?mode=reply&f=7&t=6269) seems to work.

D
When was that, today, at the time of your post?
And also, what did you see when you say "showing as unavailable"?

db__

When was that, today, at the time of your post?
And also, what did you see when you say "showing as unavailable"?
Sorry to have been so vague - it was at the time of the post.

The message was as follows.

"Geen website geconfigureerd op dit adres.

No website configured at this address.

Pas de site Web configuré à cette adresse."

The message came when using Google Chrome - however appending a '?' to the end of the url (http://www.f1technical.net/?) to force a link to the server rather than cache resolved the problem - the site also seems to be working with other browsers (firefox, ie8, safari) so it may be a chrome caching issue.

Hope this helps

D

Steven
Owner

db__ wrote:"Geen website geconfigureerd op dit adres.
No website configured at this address.
Pas de site Web configuré à cette adresse."
OK thanks, that must have been a cache issue as that page only popped up yesterday. Thank for the help!

WhiteBlue

today again
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Steven
Owner

Yes indeed, disaster struck. Obviously the current hosting package can't stand the load.

We are probably moving to our own proper server tomorrow, I'll keep you guys updated. Until then, I'm afraid we're stuck with the current situation. :cry:

axle

I'm having issues - 8:23GMT
- Axle

rjsa

I've just seen it now.

Tomba, this might be too obvious, but did youy check the database indexes?

I've had a similar problem in a web site last week and found out I destroyed my indexes uploading and altered table.

ESPImperium

Had issues thru the day, none now.

Will be worse tomorrow with the MP4-24 being rolled out.

Steven
Owner

Hi guys,

first of all, it's probably not table indexes as apparently the database server is doing just fine. It's the webserver that can't cope with the requests.

Because the current situation is just impossible to live with, f1technical will move to a new server, both the website as well as the database. It is planned approx 4 hours after the McLaren launch. Downtime should be limited, if any.

Because of that switch, I hope we'll be decently powered to work through even more traffic peaks on monday and tuesday.

I'll keep you posted ;)

CMSMJ1

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /opt/www/vs03001/web/www.f1technical.net/gallery/modules/cor ... form.class on line 554: mkdir() [function.mkdir]: File exists

am getting errors and various disabled forum issues.

if I use a /? swith..it works but not everytime.

Thanks for your efforts Tomba - most appreciated
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

vyselegend

Is the transpantation done already? Because it seems to get better suddently. In the last few days I landed on the forum only 10% of trys maximum, and if I cliked on any link I was either on "the server is busy" message, a 404, or even the provider's page telling there's no website there. Now everything seems fine for the last 10 minutes :) .

Keep us posted ;)