Teams winning on their debut

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Keir

Teams winning on their debut

The apparent pace of the Brawn car in winter testing appears to leave us with the tantilising prospect of a new team winning its first Grand Prix.

If you can have avoid having a quiet giggle at the irony of this position given what the team has metamorphised from (Reynard/BAR in '99 aiming to win its first race), rack your brains, has an F1 team achieved this before?

Roland Ehnström

Re: Teams winning on their debut

No, I don't believe it has ever happened (not counting the first ever F1 world championship race in 1950 of course, which was won by Giuseppe Farina in an Alfa Romeo).

xpensive
xpensive

You youngsters forget about Jody Scheckter in the 1977 Wolf. New team with a new car.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Frenchblock
Frenchblock

sorry Can't see how the ex Honda BAR who was the laggards "even with intensive mounths dev of new cars" in all register from R&D to race staff can be instant genious, and with 2/3 less budget and no sponsors , how this year would claim any win, i hate harry potter, it makes the silly look "genious"

axle
axle

Frenchblock wrote:sorry Can't see how the ex Honda BAR who was the laggards "even with intensive mounths dev of new cars" in all register from R&D to race staff can be instant genious, and with 2/3 less budget and no sponsors , how this year would claim any win, i hate harry potter, it makes the silly look "genious"
Pardon?
Harry Potter?
WTF?
Testing Form...
- Axle

Sawtooth-spike

dependant on the Diffuser Gate. We might get to Quote that post with :lol: at the end of it :)
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

meves
meves

Frenchblock wrote:sorry Can't see how the ex Honda BAR who was the laggards "even with intensive mounths dev of new cars" in all register from R&D to race staff can be instant genious, and with 2/3 less budget and no sponsors , how this year would claim any win, i hate harry potter, it makes the silly look "genious"
The development was funded by Honda, as far as I knwo they still have funds from Honda and they have a talented team that started early, I don't see why they can't win! Now if you'd said Force India I would've been a little more sceptical...

natef1
natef1

meves wrote:
The development was funded by Honda, as far as I knwo they still have funds from Honda and they have a talented team that started early, I don't see why they can't win! Now if you'd said Force India I would've been a little more sceptical...
Yes, this. They (Brawn) have had lots and lots of time to prepare for this, and they have been bankrolled this year from Honda I believe. They are not in much difficulty, and if they start showing they're solid in races then we'll see sponsors queuing up to stick their logos on the cars.

jddh1

I can't believe you guys forget. One team winning on their debut will be Team America F1 in 2010. That's right, homies, we're coming to f&$# up your s@%!. :mrgreen:

Henning
Henning

jddh1 wrote:we're coming to f&$# up your s@%!. :mrgreen:
You're welcome to whatever you want to our "s@%!" :wink:

Some American slang phrases just sound wrong. :?

jddh1

Henning wrote:Some American slang phrases just sound wrong. :?
:lol: :lol:
I guess it's a culture thing.
Check this link out.

Roger the knife

I'm not sure that Brawn would count as a new team in comparison to the Wolf debut in 1977, it's a really just a continuation of Honda under a new name, whereas Wolf left he Willaims operation and set up their own team.

Henning
Henning

jddh1 - Ahhh, I see. Appologies, I forgot about that site.

Keir

xpensive wrote:You youngsters forget about Jody Scheckter in the 1977 Wolf. New team with a new car.
My excuse is that I wasn't born until four years after that.

axle
axle

Roger the knife wrote:I'm not sure that Brawn would count as a new team in comparison to the Wolf debut in 1977, it's a really just a continuation of Honda under a new name, whereas Wolf left he Willaims operation and set up their own team.
If the FIA have deemed them a new team - stripping them of vital cash from Bernie and demoting them to the back of the pits - then they should be counted as a new team for something like this.
- Axle