Malaysian GP 2009 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Re: Malaysian GP 2009

The FOZ wrote:I don't know, there doesn't seem to be a right answer that satisfies all parties.

If the stunted one wants to run races on TV at European times, a novel idea would be to hold the f**king races in Europe.

Oh... but then $$$$ kicks in.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

roost89 wrote:Does anyone know what the white-things coming off the rear wing of the car were when they were coming down the back-straight when the rain started coming down?
Water droplets forming in the low pressure centres of the trailing vortex system of the rear wings.

Conceptual
Conceptual

People whining about the "diffusor" cars running away with the championship should STFU, and pray that your favorite "non-diffusor" team gets off their a$$ and make their own.

Who thinks that McLaren might be in talks with BGP for a KERS system trade for Gearbox/Diffusor?

I think that if Brawn pick up a KERS system, they WILL run away with both titles, but if McLaren want to finish in the top 3 teams, they need a solution to their downforce defficiency SOON!

Although, it is SUPER FRICKING AWESOME to see teams OTHER than Ferrari/McLaren/Renault win.

Just because your team isn't shouldn't make you cry... It should make you find a NEW favorite team that actually has the talent to compete!

nudger
nudger

Conceptual wrote:Who thinks that McLaren might be in talks with BGP for a KERS system trade for Gearbox/Diffusor?
i dont know...who does?
sounds a pretty daft theory to me.

zgred

nudger wrote:
The FOZ wrote: Everyone who thinks otherwise: How exactly should they have proceeded today, keeping in mind that safety is the first concern, and following the rules of racing is not up for debate?

i think the point some people were making was that the timing of the race was asking for trouble.
now, you cant blame the fia for that...i dont think they did anything wrong. The problem was Bernie trying to squeeze every last penny from the event.
Its mush like when they moved the british grand prix to april, and Bernie got all upset because everyone got stuck in the northamptonshire mud ... common sense said it was asking for trouble...just like all the locals had been telling us that the race wouldnt run its course...they were right.
Bernie:"Max, it is late and weather is terrible... I am going home..."

myurr
myurr

Conceptual you're normally pretty perceptive but are way off base with the Brawn and McLaren speculation.

Bolt the Brawn gearbox and diffuser on to the McLaren car and the McLaren would immediately be slower. A lot slower. There are all the little detail reasons like the suspension mounts being different thus requiring a new suspension design (or getting that off the Brawn as well, in which case it wouldn't necessarily play nice with the McLaren front suspension setup).

But the number one biggest reason is that aerodynamically the diffuser wouldn't get the airflow it requires in order to function correctly. McLaren need to update the majority of the front aero package (a process they have already started) so that more air is channeled under the floor of the car.

So McLaren will have to come up with their own aero solution and Brawn will have to stump up the cash if / when they want KERS.

Giblet
Giblet

timbo wrote:
Giblet wrote:The BRAWN cars don't have KERS, but the in-car there was a definite sharp drop then rise in RPM on the straight.
I noticed that effect with several reportedly non-KERS cars. I believe there's probably new audio/video system implemented this year, and honestly I think it sucks - much part of Saturday footage was made with delayed audio.

The rest of the world is going HD if not mostly already there, and F1 still can't get standard live broadcasting right. It's kind of lame really.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Conceptual
Conceptual

myurr wrote:Conceptual you're normally pretty perceptive but are way off base with the Brawn and McLaren speculation.

Bolt the Brawn gearbox and diffuser on to the McLaren car and the McLaren would immediately be slower. A lot slower. There are all the little detail reasons like the suspension mounts being different thus requiring a new suspension design (or getting that off the Brawn as well, in which case it wouldn't necessarily play nice with the McLaren front suspension setup).

But the number one biggest reason is that aerodynamically the diffuser wouldn't get the airflow it requires in order to function correctly. McLaren need to update the majority of the front aero package (a process they have already started) so that more air is channeled under the floor of the car.

So McLaren will have to come up with their own aero solution and Brawn will have to stump up the cash if / when they want KERS.
I can understand most of what you are saying, but you make some assumptions without any facts.

Like, how do you know that the Brawn rear suspension is so different from the McLaren? And, also, is it not the entire point of undercar aero to maximize mass air flow under the car? Wouldn't the McLaren already have a huge amount going there already?

I understand that there would need to be "some" changes made to make it work... I figure about as much as FIF1 needed to do to use the McLaren components...

I was just thinking that McLaren could either waste a LOT of tunnel/design/build time to get to the same place, OR they could trade something that they have that Brawn does not have for the finished solution, and then invest less time to fixing their problem.

How different are the undersides of these cars anyways? Aren't the stepped floors almost identical on all of them already? THAT was the understanding that led me to think that these parts may in fact be implemented.

I am quite possibly way off on this, but if I were Whitmarsh, I would be looking at EVERY possibility of solving the DF issue ASAP, and that includes looking to FIF1 and Brawn for possible solutions around the Mercedes lump.

But then again, maybe that is why I am not a team principal? :lol: :lol: :lol:

nudger
nudger

mclaren are in some ways quite fortunate with the flexability of their gearbox in respect of the suspension, thanks to Force India having different requirements.

Callum

kilcoo316 wrote:
roost89 wrote:Does anyone know what the white-things coming off the rear wing of the car were when they were coming down the back-straight when the rain started coming down?
Water droplets forming in the low pressure centres of the trailing vortex system of the rear wings.
I noticed this lastweek too, expecially with BMW. Do you think this means they are running at higher angles of attack, or have a less efficient wing?

The FOZ
The FOZ

kilcoo316 wrote:
The FOZ wrote:People. If you don't have a grasp on the sport, much less reality, please consider investing some time rectifying the matter.

This wasn't a case of a few guys sitting around a table with a bottle of scotch, making --- up as they went along today.
Maybe if you jumped off your soapbox for a minute...
I'm no expert, but I do believe we're on the internet. The world's number 1 soapbox. What the hell else are we supposed to do here? :lol:
...you'd see people are unhappy at the poison dwarf staging the race at the stupid time of day.The locals say "Don't start it at 5, because the evening rains will affect the race, and will kill the light".
But more people are either indifferent, or in the case of Europe, are happy to have the race at a time that's "easy" for them to watch. Far more people. Can't please everyone, and if you're pleasing most people, life's good.
But dickhead Bernie sees $$$$ and ignores them. Cue today's farce.

Charlie Whiting was not to blame, neither were the drivers, the teams, or Bridgestone.

FOM are entirely at fault here.
Please...if you'll check the address bar, this is F1Technical, not F1Emotional. I like to stick with facts, not feelings, and this place would likely function a lot better if others did the same. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind sharing my opinions, as you can see, but it's the bloody internet. Lighten up!

djos

Rob W wrote:
djos wrote:even Marcos Ambrose ....he thinks F1 are doing everything possible to ruin their own sport!
Classy call from Marcos. He's always been a bit of a big mouth but he's pretty much right in this instance.
IIRC he was specifically talking about that retarded points system we almost had this year where most wins = WDC regardless of points. :wtf:
"In downforce we trust"

djos

The FOZ wrote:
vyselegend wrote: Near as I can tell, Bernie and Max didn't charter some planes to do cloud seeding. I'm fairly certain the rain was a natural phenomenon.
yes true but the Malaysians told Bernie that the rain is usually torrential at 6pm local time everyday at that time of year and yet he still insisted on having the GP at 5pm just so the less dedicated fans (and technologically backward - TiVo anyone!) wouldn't have to get up so early to watch the race.

I wasn't very impressed with the late start in Melbourne either, we got the F1 in HD and even so the sun was so low I couldn't tell which car was which half the time!! :evil:
Last edited by djos on 06 Apr 2009, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

nudger
nudger

djos wrote:
Rob W wrote:
djos wrote:even Marcos Ambrose ....he thinks F1 are doing everything possible to ruin their own sport!
Classy call from Marcos. He's always been a bit of a big mouth but he's pretty much right in this instance.
IIRC he was specifically talking about that retarded points system we almost had this year where most wins = WDC regardless of points. :wtf:

talking of which...how would that have worked today? maybe just a badge instead of a medal...a championship won with half a race win?

djos

nudger wrote:
djos wrote:
Rob W wrote: IIRC he was specifically talking about that retarded points system we almost had this year where most wins = WDC regardless of points. :wtf:

talking of which...how would that have worked today? maybe just a badge instead of a medal...a championship won with half a race win?
1/2 a Medal? #-o
"In downforce we trust"