Malaysian GP 2009 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: Malaysian GP 2009

jamsbong wrote:
Giblet wrote:Just because it's the first time you've seen half points doesn't mean they haven't been doing that for ages.
I understand that this is not the first time but it is certainly very rare. I've followed F1 for 15 long years, from the days when Michael was a hero to the day when he retired. I have never seen this.

Apparently all locals who lived in Msia agreed that 5pm is too late for a start of a GP. I hope they will fix that next time... Unless they want to nite race like Spore.
It was used 5 times.

Four times for weather, one when a Lola went into the crowd in 1975 killing 5 spectators.

15 years is not very long. Thats after Senna. You've only been watching F1 for less time than Coulthard was driving in it.

All I'm saying is jumping in and saying you've never seen something so it's dumb is kinda silly,and then passing judgement on it, also silly.

I think it's awesome that the cars can even run in the rain, and welcome the rain like we had, allowing not only drivers to shine, but race engineers as well.

When things don't go according to plan and people have to rise up that's what make the other side of the sport so fun.

All sports have rules about incomplete games due to rain, only difference is most sports there is a clear winner/loser, and no grey area.

This is why if less then half a race is run, half points make sense. You can't just tell everyone to come back tomorrow and re do the GP. This way the teams that are able to shine in the --- conditions can go home happy that they managed to come away with something, when the majority come away with nothing.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

EAKMotorsports
EAKMotorsports

I don´t know but I think FIA made mistake again in final results in Malaysian GP. Is right only one lap countback :?:
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` * EAK

EAKMotorsports
EAKMotorsports

-Suspending and resuming a race-

If for whatever reason it is impossible to resume the race, the rules state that “the results will be taken at the end of the penultimate lap before the lap during which the signal to suspend the race was given”.
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` * EAK

EAKMotorsports
EAKMotorsports

EAKMotorsports wrote:-Suspending and resuming a race-

If for whatever reason it is impossible to resume the race, the rules state that “the results will be taken at the end of the penultimate lap before the lap during which the signal to suspend the race was given”.
So I think right to say is 2 laps before the race was stopped. (penultimate, last and finish)

So the race stopped on 31 lap the right results must on 29 lap.
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` * EAK

EAKMotorsports
EAKMotorsports

My mistake I I didn´t sow the race was stopped on 33 lap I think ed it stopped on 31. sorry.
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` * EAK

jddh1

EAKMotorsports...4 posts in a row....wow. don't think I've seen that before. :lol: :lol:

jon-mullen

TheMinister wrote:I'm not too worried about the farcical aspects of it, as at the end of the day it's about providing great entertainment and I really enjoyed it. More exciting than a lot of dry races where nobody overtakes and nothing happens.
I also enjoy a sloppy GP now and then, to remind people that entropy isn't just a thermo concept. Sometimes life s**ts on your preparations, and it doesn't make sense to not enjoy a grand prix just because it's less predictable. Was I pissed Alonso slid off the track and ruined a strategy and start with podium potential? Hell yeah, but I'm not going to give up on F1 because of it.
Giblet wrote:I think it's awesome that the cars can even run in the rain, and welcome the rain like we had, allowing not only drivers to shine, but race engineers as well.
I don't know that I'd go quite that far, but it's true that there aren't many other series that would've continued in that downpour. My favorite TV shot was of ~3" of water at an apex. These guys definitely makes NASCAR drivers look like a bunch of pussies.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Conceptual
Conceptual

jon-mullen wrote:
TheMinister wrote:I'm not too worried about the farcical aspects of it, as at the end of the day it's about providing great entertainment and I really enjoyed it. More exciting than a lot of dry races where nobody overtakes and nothing happens.
I also enjoy a sloppy GP now and then, to remind people that entropy isn't just a thermo concept. Sometimes life s**ts on your preparations, and it doesn't make sense to not enjoy a grand prix just because it's less predictable. Was I pissed Alonso slid off the track and ruined a strategy and start with podium potential? Hell yeah, but I'm not going to give up on F1 because of it.
Giblet wrote:I think it's awesome that the cars can even run in the rain, and welcome the rain like we had, allowing not only drivers to shine, but race engineers as well.
I don't know that I'd go quite that far, but it's true that there aren't many other series that would've continued in that downpour. My favorite TV shot was of ~3" of water at an apex. These guys definitely makes NASCAR drivers look like a bunch of pussies.

Watching the water pouring OVER Kimi's sidepod was a sight that I have never seen in motor racing!

After seeing that, I had a discussion with the only other person that I know that follows F1, and we came up with the idea that there should be a new series called "Formula H20"

The cars are similar to F1 cars, but instead of wings, they have front and rear "fenders" that act like splitters, and are about 2-3mm from the ground. Then they drive around on a track that has 2-3 inches of water covering it, and run the full wets.

That way, the fender scrapers only allow a small amount of water to reach the tyre, and produce an enormous amount of downforce at the wheel. The monocoque splitter produces the chassis downforce, and the rear fenders/diffusor take care of the back. The sidepod inlets would become water heat exchangers.

I don't think that this is a serious idea by any stretch, but I bet it would be super cool to watch!

Anyways, here is to money being more important than safety to Mr. Eccelstone!

PlatinumZealot

You read my mind.. They should have had to pitsop where the put on the "Water" body work.. bodywork design to cut through flood waters and attachable Fog lights.. :mrgreen:

I would watch that any day.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

andartop
andartop

Been very busy the last days so did not have a chance to visit the forum. It's interesting to see that we got a thread half the normal size (for a GP) after a race that was halted halfway through (or it might have to do with the fact we did not have any penalties in Malaysia!).
As far as the actual race is concerned, I only want to make one comment: If McLaren get banned from the championship for lying, Ferrari should also get banned for utter stupidity which resulted (again) in ridiculing the sport. THAT would be fair, and then we can all just sit back relaxed and enjoy the rest of the season...
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

shir0

andartop wrote:<snip> If McLaren get banned from the championship for lying, Ferrari should also get banned for utter stupidity ... THAT would be fair, and then we can all just sit back relaxed and enjoy the rest of the season...
:mrgreen: Let me build on that line of thought. Why not ban the rest of the non-undead-diffusered cars (with the exception of the red bull of vettel and the bmw of kubica) and let the undead-diffusered cars run around the track unimpeded for all the remaining gp's?
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

This time Bernie Ecclestone was totally in the wrong. Many people had expressed concern about the late starting time because of the low light and the fact that during this time of season, heavy rain is expected in the late afternoon. Well, the heavens opened up and the race did not finish as we hoped.
And the entire blame rests on Bernie's shoulders. This time, he was wrong.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

shir0

Yes. BE was wrong. Problem is that he refuses to accept it. Now, the FIA, who hold themselves as the entity that brought F1 to it's highest safety standards, should now bank on that and go against BE on this. The Malaysian GP Organizers concur with this observation but I think they have a dilemma:

1) go with Bernie and risk another such race or shell out huge sums for a night race
2) submit to a possible FIA decision on moving it to a 2pm race start time again and risk having BE sack the Malaysian GP altogether
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

xpensive
xpensive

This time?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

shir0

xpensive wrote:This time?
No.

I agree.

Not JUST this time. But, we are talking about JUST the 2009 Malaysian GP on this thread...aren't we?