McLaren 25kg KERS unit

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Ferrari F60

Recharging in 0.5s should be difficult, when it would take an 800 kW source to charge a 400 kJ battery to full in that time.
Without losses, that is.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Richard
Richard

xpensive wrote:Recharging in 0.5s should be difficult, when it would take an 800 kW source to charge a 400 kJ battery to full in that time.
Without losses, that is.
I wonder if they do go for a full charge/discharge. Wouldn't that put too much strain on the electrics, leading to over heating (kimi's fire)? Would operating below full capcity be more efficient??? They would have more batteries than needed, meaning more weight, but less kit for cooling?

The other thing is that they only use KERS in bursts so they only need enough battery capacity for the largest single discharge as opposed to the full allowance for one lap. Let's say the hit the button twice a lap, then they only need 50% batteries which recharged between each burst.

xpensive
xpensive

There are several threads on F1T, explaining the rules limiting KERS charge and discharge.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

The FOZ
The FOZ

It makes sense to have the option to go full discharge, in case a driver needs to defend against someone trying to pass them. That said, I'm sure the Ferrari engineers have very carefully considered weight vs capacity vs heat production when determining the quantity of batteries required for the system. Obviously they haven't got it quite dialed in, as was the case with Kimi, but again, surely this has been factored into the equation.
richard_leeds wrote:I wonder if they do go for a full charge/discharge. Wouldn't that put too much strain on the electrics, leading to over heating (kimi's fire)? Would operating below full capcity be more efficient??? They would have more batteries than needed, meaning more weight, but less kit for cooling?

The other thing is that they only use KERS in bursts so they only need enough battery capacity for the largest single discharge as opposed to the full allowance for one lap. Let's say the hit the button twice a lap, then they only need 50% batteries which recharged between each burst.

Metar

xpensive wrote:Recharging in 0.5s should be difficult, when it would take an 800 kW source to charge a 400 kJ battery to full in that time.
Without losses, that is.
I agree with you completely, but that's what Norbert Haug said in the RTL interview I translated for F1T..

Dukeage
Dukeage

Re: McLaren 25kg KERS unit

The 60kW limit is 60kW either in or out, so a KERS system will take as long to charge as it takes to discharge. If the cost cap things happen (unlikely), they can have unlimited in and 120kW out.

Conceptual
Conceptual

Can the ECU allow the KERS discharge button to operate on a pulse?

I was wondering if the driver had a knob that could set the pulse rate that the 60hp would kick in. Like, timing in music, so they could have 13/16 or 15/16 measures. It would equate to them "tapping" on the button very fast anyways, so could they simplify it with the ECU?

gridwalker
gridwalker

Conceptual wrote:Can the ECU allow the KERS discharge button to operate on a pulse?

I was wondering if the driver had a knob that could set the pulse rate that the 60hp would kick in. Like, timing in music, so they could have 13/16 or 15/16 measures. It would equate to them "tapping" on the button very fast anyways, so could they simplify it with the ECU?
According to formula1.com, "The regulations stipulate that the release must be completely under the driver’s control."
http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/under ... /8763.html
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Conceptual
Conceptual

gridwalker wrote:
Conceptual wrote:Can the ECU allow the KERS discharge button to operate on a pulse?

According to formula1.com, "The regulations stipulate that the release must be completely under the driver’s control."
http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/under ... /8763.html
In what I said, the driver would have 100% control over the pulse, from 1/16 to 16/16, and the discharge button. It is no different than the driver tapping a rhythm on the button with his thumb.