Who first adopted a wing to a race car?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
polaris
polaris

Who first adopted a wing to a race car?

I heard that it was Bobby Unser on the Gurney Eagle Indy cars.

What is the real scoop? The Chaparral?

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Into F1....Colin Chapman (Lotus).

Reca
Reca

The story about Bobby Unser and Dan Gurney that I know is relative only to the Gurney flap, not to wing itself, and it was an episode that happened in the 1971 at Phoenix, I don’t know if it’s the same story you are referring to or maybe is a different one.
Actually outside F1 I really don’t know who first put a wing on a car, it’s just one of these things that when you see the first time you usually think “It looks so obvious, why didn’t they thought about that earlier ?” .
Surely the idea to generate downforce wasn’t new, I’ve seen sketches, dating back to 1937, of the AutoUnion cars with arrows pointing downwards clearly suggesting the concept of using the body to generate a vertical aero force, I wouldn’t be surprised to discover that someone thought about it even earlier.
About wings in F1, I’ve a Schlegelmilch’s book with pictures of F1 since 1950 and according to the summary of the 1968 season, the first rear wing appeared on the Ickx Ferrari 312/F1 at the Spa race that year.
There’s also a pic showing a row of the grid at 1968 Rouen race with J Rindt, probably on a Lotus (please correct me if it wasn’t a Lotus cause I’m not sure and there’s no caption), J Stewart’s Matra and J Ickx Ferrari.
The Ferrari has a single element wing, with small endplates, apparently tilted towards left, quite high above the engine, between driver and rear wheels. The car has also two small dive planes at the sides of the nose.
On the Rindt’s car, there’s a very simple rear wing, single plane without endplates, above the rear wheel axle and just a bit higher than the wheels. There are also the dive plates at the sides of the nose.
Stewart’s car has no wings or dive plates.

dumrick
dumrick

First I heard of, long before F1 adopted it, or even before the Chaparrals, was in a Porsche 550 that was raced by an engineer called Michael May.

You can check it out at http://www.mulsannescorner.com/history.htm

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well...I found something even older then what dumrick wrote:

- Im 1928 Fritz Von Opel used 2 inverted wings in the Opel RAK2, which was powered by rocket engines, built by Eugen Sander. Each wing was 1,25 m wide. And the car reached 192 Km/h.

This was taken from a Motor Sport History book. (and was adapted...and translated)

Further down the text it mentions Michael May (like Dumrick said), but it mentions that Mercedes used a wing on the Mercedes 300SLR before May used it!

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

I'm still looking for it but I have a documentary with images from before 1920....with a road car racing with a wing!!!! In a Mille Miglia (if I'0m not mistaken) if I find it I'll post back with the info I can get from the documentary.

davecooper
davecooper

Mercedes air brake

Am I right in saying that Mercedes stumbled upon downforce when they adopted a rear mounted braking flap for the 300SLR Le Mans car of 1955. Drivers reported that the airbrake seemed to stabilize the car under braking and the fact that this was due to the downforce generated by the flap was not realized at the time.

Reca
Reca

Not exactly. The flap wasn’t actually generating downforce, it was disrupting the lift generated by the car body.