Schumi comes back

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: WHY SHUMACHER?

+1 scarbs
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

jonathan189
jonathan189

Schumacher is the obvious choice for Ferrari. Why not Badoer and Gene? Because they were also-rans even when they were at their best. Schumacher is in a different league.

gridwalker
gridwalker

I totally agree with DK, to the point where I don't think any further comment from myself is that necessary ... though there is one thing that is irking me about this thread :
xpensive wrote:Adrian Gray's portrait perhaps?
I believe you mean Dorian Grey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray

I know I'm a pedant, but Oscar Wilde was a genius IMHO ;)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

As Scarb mentioned, for Badoer and Gene to get up to speed its the same hurdle. With the test ban they haven't driven the 2009 car in anger on track since early testing in its initial trim. While MS was just a bit less recent in his last time would've been winter testing 2008. So their familiarity with the 2009 car would be similar. While actual F1 racing seat time MS has obiviously much more to draw from. Gene have raced at Le Mans being his most recent outing(and won), but MS has been racing bikes, which can also be tremendously physical. So realistically on getting a reserve to be ready, using MS is not more or less difficult than the rest(and age wise they aren't that different either). On top of all the publicity generated for this.....

And from 2010 development standpoint, I'd think having both Kimi and someone with the experience of MS will help Ferrari since all the race weekends are test weekends now....

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Re: Schumi comes back

Though I have to say though, one of the last time he raced on a new track(China I think?) He didn't do so well...albeit the times before on Bahrain and Malaysia he was quite good, and ok in Turkey...

xpensive
xpensive

Nice touch Grid, impressive really, when I am pedantic of the third degree myself.

I could try to make it easy for myself now saying it was a deliberate miswriting in order to see who's common knowledge on F1T, but I'm a little too honest for that.

Of course I was referring to the classic Oscar Wilde's "Picture of Dorian Gray"

Fitting to some of the players within F1 though, don't you think?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

djones
djones

Its not a new track though is it? I thought he had won this race 6 times or something???

WhiteBlue

Valencia was inaugurated by the F1 race 2008.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 30 Jul 2009, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

it is interesting that if he races the rest of the year he'll have to learn 3 tracks, and 2 of them the rest of the grid will be more familiar on it than he does....

sticky667
sticky667

scarbs wrote: • Recent drivers to leave F1 are either consultants to other teams, no good or left the sport for good (jacques.v, ralf.s, david.c, Sebastian.b, juan.p.m, alex.w).
I'd be interested to see who you feel were "no good"?

sato, davidson, wurz are still very good IMO

bourdais obviously failed miserably, JV and RS need to stay away for good, DC's time was up, JPM is stuck in hillbilly land

There are definitely other options for Ferrari but Michael was most probable because of the publicity and connection with the team.

djones
djones

Will he actually get a go in the latest car then or will the first time be FP1?

I thought its a 4 week break but only 2 week testing ban?

SZ
SZ

scarbs wrote:Ferraris situation:
• They have a seven times world champion on their books
Who is 40, recovering from a bike accident, won't drive for them next season and hasn't seen the inside of an F1 cockpit for a while let alone in a car of these regs.
scarbs wrote:Ferraris situation:
• Other good drivers possible for 2010 are still contracted to their current teams with seven races to run (robert.k, fernando.a)
You really think at at what MS is getting per race times the number of races left (let alone Ferrari's other considerable financial resources) that a deal couldn't have been worked out for RK at least? You're kidding yourself. Ferrari's well capable of getting who they want - driver contracts are as fluid as the money that lubricates them, and Ferrari has plenty more than any other team. MS isn't an arrangement of pure convenience and coincidence.

I don't doubt for a second he's very good, and that his racecraft alone is a cut above anyone currently racing.

But he's old, he's well off race fitness and recovering from a neck injury. If he comes out and is immediately competitive it'll speak volumes about how poor competitiveness is among the current crop of drivers (especially Ferrari's two), not about how awesome MS is. MS was awesome. He's now retired - well retired. His physical condition reflects it. I'd be very happy, as a fan, to see him do well. I'm under no illusions about why he's back though, and it has more to do with the current state of F1 than the current state of Ferrari's fortunes in the Championship or their plans for next season.
RacingManiac wrote: Gene have raced at Le Mans being his most recent outing(and won), but MS has been racing bikes, which can also be tremendously physical.
You'd be kidding yourself to think the G loading experienced on bikes and in race cars (and the corresponding fitness requirements) are comparable. They're way off.

I'd still take MS over Gene on racecraft alone.

But had there been no FOTA war/BMW fckup/no FA in Valencia/general poor image in F1... you'd see RK or FA start a few months early.

scarbs
scarbs

sticky667 wrote:
scarbs wrote: • Recent drivers to leave F1 are either consultants to other teams, no good or left the sport for good (jacques.v, ralf.s, david.c, Sebastian.b, juan.p.m, alex.w).
I'd be interested to see who you feel were "no good"?

sato, davidson, wurz are still very good IMO

bourdais obviously failed miserably, JV and RS need to stay away for good, DC's time was up, JPM is stuck in hillbilly land

There are definitely other options for Ferrari but Michael was most probable because of the publicity and connection with the team.
Hmm, no comment, but nice try....!

I think there are good development drivers, good race drivers and a few who do both well. Plus there are other drivers who are good, just not in F1.

Right now Ferrari need a good race driver.

siskue2005

xpensive wrote:You are absolutely correct as usual DK, but in addition to the publicity stunt, I'm afraid there's also an element of reconciliation between Ferrari and the FIA.

Lord knows who's really paying for this and what Ferrari has gained from FIA in xchange of the rebuilt reputation of F1, which the return of the seven-time champ brings?

Adrian Gray's portrait perhaps?
:roll: :roll:

toto1041
toto1041

probably a stupid question, but what are the rules regarding drivers from other teams being able to compete for points using another team's car? is it FIA rule that a driver must only compete in one car all season? or is it a manufacturer contractual thing? I ask this because it would be very interesting to see Alonso step into that car for Valencia.