McLaren MP4/19B

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Timstr

McLaren MP4/19B

Image A tiny picture from Autosport.com

Timstr

Monstrobolaxa

New nose, new rear aero, new side pode aero.....and the engine seems be running! :lol: anything I missed out?

inspectah

I was just wondering what was up with that, don't remember its name, hmm.. coolergrill?:D inside the side pod? isn't it positioned rather high? Is the purpose of the air running through under it to go straight to the engine, cool it down a bit more?

F1-Noob

Monstrobolaxa wrote:
New nose, new rear aero, new side pode aero.....and the engine seems be running! anything I missed out?
Yes, indeed but isn't the nose similar to the current car?
The sidepods are looking like the f2004s.
I really hope that this car will be very competivtive and very fast to. :D

F1-Noob

inspectah wrote:
I was just wondering what was up with that, don't remember its name, hmm.. coolergrill?
It's called for radiator :)

Monstrobolaxa

Whem I said nose....I was considering the front wing struts.

About the grills....the radiator goes from the bottom to the top of the side pod....and the grill you see might be a grill that is used in front of the radiator to prevent debris from hitting the radiator!

inspectah

the radiator goes from the bottom to the top of the side pod....and the grill you see might be a grill that is used in front of the radiator to prevent debris from hitting the radiator!
Well would you just take a look at the picture and tell me where you see the radiator running all the way to the bottom?? I couldn't find another picture with the insides of the sidepods visible, but judging from this one, i would say you're wrong! Anyway, i don't see the radiator even fitting to the bottom of the sidepod, seeing that it is so goddamn narrow. If you have a picture showing the whole radiator, then do post it. If you don't, then what is your info based on?

Irvingthien

I thought what was wrong with the car is the integration of the machinery,not the aero...how could they just update the aero instead???

Monstrobolaxa

even not seeing the bottom of the radiator, the radiator could be slopped to the back (like the Ferrari, Renault, Sauber, Minardi)...and probably everyone else) and the top part of it is vertical while the lower is slopped. I don't know I'm just guessing...

Monstrobolaxa

Well just looked in a few magazines...and the Mclaren radiator is divided into 3 parts the top 1/3 and the bottom 1/3 are water coolers and the middle 1/3 is the oil cooler....this is their configurations on both sides. The thing we see in the picture might be the top 1/3 of the radiator (which is vertical) and the other 2 radiator parts might be slopped to the back!

But in any case the radiatores always go to the bottom of the side pod! It's and "anti-low-CofG" to put the complete radiator so far up!

If they left the bottom section without anything what gain would it give? Cooling the engine block (externally) and the exhaust pipes??? If they weren't going to use the complete height of the side pod they would have built a lower side pod.

Well just looked in a few magazines...and the Mclaren radiator is divided into 3 parts the top 1/3 and the bottom 1/3 are water coolers and the middle 1/3 is the oil cooler....this is their configurations on both sides. The thing we see in the picture might be the top 1/3 of the radiator (which is vertical) and the other 2 radiator parts might be slopped to the back!
Thanks for cheking! But it's just strange that you can't see anything in the sidepod under the "grill"... You would think that if the lower part of it was sloped, then you still would see something. But now, all i can see is just emptiness... Strange indeed

Spencifer_Murphy

MP4/19B First Impressions

Sup people. I was just wondering, we have all just seen the first few pictures of the long awaited Mclaren MP4/19B. But what are your first impressions? And do you think this car will mark a turn around for Mclaren?

Personally I think the MP4/19B looks fantasic...but so did the MP4/19 and that was, well...less than adequate, shall we say? The major problems have been integration of the whole package and problems revolving around the Mercedes engines which persist in detonating halfway through a race. The logical way to address this is to improve cooling? But the car looks EVEN SLIMMER at the rear than it did before...to be honest it doesn't look too great...but Mclaren are an experienced team and they would not push the envelope further without addressing their current problems...would they?! I hope not...unless the whole woking brigade has gone mad.

I really hope this car will mark a turn around for Mclaren...and I believe it will (I'm not saying they will be challenging Ferrari against straight away) But I think they will be battleing it out with Williams more often and getting many more race finishes. So what do you guys think???
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Spencifer_Murphy

Just noticed the sidepod mounted winglet...its now a two element version (Much like on the Williams FW26). I wonder how much this will effect downforce to stabilise the car, and more importantly how much it will affect the airflow towards the rear of the car...specifically to the rear wing.

Spencifer_Murphy

Also just noticed the engine cover:

Its more "curvy", it seems they have extended the spine on the back of it in a similar manner to the engine cover on the Renault R24. I know that this will affect aero performance over the rear wing...but I don't know what effect (if any) it will have over engine cooling. Does anyone know???