2010 FIA F1 Calender Published

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

2010 FIA F1 Calender Published

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78775

14/3 Bahrain
28/3 Australia
04/4 Malaysia
18/4 China
09/5 Spain
23/5 Monaco
30/5 Turkey
13/6 Canada*
27/6 Europe (Valencia)
11/7 Great Britain
25/7 Germany
01/8 Hungary
29/8 Belgium
12/9 Italy
26/9 Singapore
03/10 Japan
17/10 Korea
31/10 Abu Dhabi
14/11 Brazil

Korea then Abu Dahbi then Brazil all in 1 month, quite alot of miles there
Would make more sense to have Abu Dhabi before Singapore

28 days between Hungary & Spa... why this again?!??!!?

Mr Satay

Re: 2010 FIA F1 Calender Published

the teams need a summer break! thats why. and the season is finishing VERY late, later then usual, so i think its pretty good! Just bring back Imola and its a damn near perfect calander. get rid of china though...horrible track in comparison.

WhiteBlue

More races like 25 would be good from 1. March to 30th September.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ISLAMATRON

Mr Satay wrote:the teams need a summer break! thats why. and the season is finishing VERY late, later then usual, so i think its pretty good! Just bring back Imola and its a damn near perfect calander. get rid of china though...horrible track in comparison.
they should get 3 weeks after the first set of flyaway races(which they do) and 4 more weeks before the second set of flyaways, that would be more than enough, but 4 weeks between Germany & Hungary and 2 more to Italy and then 2 more to Singapore seems somewhat excessive.

Mr Satay

good point. i guess this shows you can easily have 20+ races on the calender! Which they really should anyway! Add America, India, Russia...thats already 22!

ISLAMATRON

more races means more money for everyone... plus more for us fans

sticky667

more dramas and conspiracies too!

Alexpcenteno

Is this korean race has something to do with Hyundai?? Is there going to be a Hyundai team in the near future?! :shock: Maybe or maybe not? :wtf:
"Racing, competing, it's in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I have been doing it all my life and it stands out above everything else." - Ayrton Senna

mx_tifoso

When the hell are they going to schedule a GP in the west coast of the US? :evil:

Although I am willing to travel to the east coast (New England area preferably) if necessary. :mrgreen:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

WhiteBlue

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=352053
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21976.html

So what do we think about the British GP's chances at Silverstone? I would think that the BRDC is as much entitled to a risk sharing arrangement as is the Hockenheim circuit.

In fact all the big names in F1 circuits have prospered on special deals by Bernie. Monaco pays nothing for the priviledge of hosting F1 because they make huge infrastructural efforts to host the race. But that is true of Singapore as well.

Monza has never been in danger and pays a lot less than other European venues because Ferrari would would have Bernie's stones for a dog meal if Monza was left of the calendar.

The US GP has always made less money for Bernie and that should be agnowledged as well. CVC needs to do a big investment in risk sharing to get the sport off the ground in the US. Actually the US should have a northern summer and a southern winter event IMO. SoCal would be perfect for that purpose. Long beach or a purpose build facility with elevation changes in reach of LA or Las Vegas would be the thing to do.

The suggestion to do more races and let CVC share the risk of traditional venues making a loss seems entirely sensible to me. That way the circuits can figure in the necessary investment and greedy CVC can raise their race fees by 7% annually. If the market does not bear the squeeze they will be saddled with the miscalculation instead of the race promoters. If their projections are correct they will make a lot of money.

F1 in the long run IMO needs to think truly global and needs to find 10 or 12 races in the southern hemishere. There is no real reason why the holiday season needs to be 4 months any more. Nowadays there could be 6 weeks of holiday brake and two more substantial brakes in spring and fall. That way the summer could run mainly the traditional European and north American season.

So lets see if we can get 10 "winter" venues together:
  • Bahrain
  • Abu Dhabi
  • Dubai or other South American venue
  • SoCal
  • Brazil
  • Australia
  • Malaysia or Singapore
  • South Africa
  • Turkey
  • India
This is actually not looking all that bad. Summer events could be:
  • Canada
  • Indianapolis
  • Spain
  • Italy
  • Monaco
  • France
  • Britain
  • Germany
  • Belgium
  • Hungary or East European replacement
Lets also assume that:
  • Canada and Indy
  • China, Japan and Korea
  • SoCal and Brazil
  • Malaysia and India
  • South Africa and Australia

would be back to back fly aways with one week between them. The rest of the races would be spaced by two weeks.
This calendar would take 39 week to run without holidays. So 13 weeks of holiday can be spread over the whole year. If we take 7 weeks of winter break we can still have two 3 week brakes after some of the 2 and 3 ender fly aways.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Timomies

Worst thing with that calendar is that Canada GP is same weekend with 24 hours of Le Mans. It means that Alonso will definately not be racing in Le Mans next year :|

-KMR_NH-

I like the calendar. The start isn't that late as it was this year and the final is even later.
And we have another 4 week summer break which I like because the teams will have a break and you have some time to go on vacations without thinking of missing a race. :D
Kimi Räikkönen
Nico Hülkenberg