Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Crabbia
Crabbia

Re: Ferrari F10

scarbs wrote:I heard today the Ferrari engine\gearbox combo has its oil tank in the conventional position, not in between the pair
i have a theory that the air intakes that you see on the Merc and the Mclaren are to feed the oil heat exchanger.

If the oil tank was put between the engine and gearbox, it follows that they would want the heat exchanger placed near the tank (to save on weight) and not in the conventional area (the sidepod). so they have inlets just below the airbox opening feeding the oil heat echanger.

if what you say is true this could be the reason why ferrari dont have the additional inlets below the airbox opening. its not necessary as the oil heat exchanger is in the conventional place.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Astro1
Astro1

Diffuser re-design likely source of Ferrari lacking aero rumor.

http://ferrarif1forum.com/2010/02/02/di ... ero-rumor/

horse

FLC wrote:James Allen has posted this on his website:
with a hole the size of a sheet of A3 paper! I
Ha Ha. Aren't they worried they might lose things in an opening that big? Like a German Shepherd?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

jyeo777
jyeo777

so... is Ferrari going to make a major update based on the new diffuser design just before the first race or will they just stick to what they have now?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

jyeo777 wrote:so... is Ferrari going to make a major update based on the new diffuser design just before the first race or will they just stick to what they have now?
Impossible for any of us to know... don't take the rumors too seriously, they are after all just rumors...

jyeo777
jyeo777

a little off topic, but y are they developing a black carbon helmet? Anyone noticed that massa was wearing a black helmet?

'Felipe drove several laps wearing a black carbon helmet: this is a test for a new type of helmet planned by Schubert for the Scuderia.'

axle
axle

jyeo777 wrote:a little off topic, but y are they developing a black carbon helmet? Anyone noticed that massa was wearing a black helmet?

'Felipe drove several laps wearing a black carbon helmet: this is a test for a new type of helmet planned by Schubert for the Scuderia.'
Schuberth are testing a new design of helmet which is a direct reaction to the injuries that Massa sustained in Hungary. The new Helmet has to be verified as suitable by the driver before they bother to put his colours on it etc. All the helmets are black carbon, this one just has a new visor/mount etc to combat the risk of anyone else suffering a hit like Massa took.

If you recall his visor detached and there was a fair sized hole in the helmet.
- Axle

King Six
King Six

Astro1 wrote:Diffuser re-design likely source of Ferrari lacking aero rumor.

http://ferrarif1forum.com/2010/02/02/di ... ero-rumor/
It would have been so much better if they had just said it during early 2009, that for 2010, the dubious diffusers would be outlawed and everyone would have to have proper, simple single decked diffusers.

Now we're gonna have to likely ensure a whole new season of this --- until 2011 when they finally sort their act out.

Pierce89

Bar555 please come back
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

segedunum
segedunum

I wouldn't read anything into Massa's times at the moment. At least the car seems reasonable. Ferrari are the only team who have got fully up to speed yet and I rather suspect McLaren and Mercedes are just verifying and sandbagging. We haven't seen Red Bull yet either. No one wants to show their hand so early, but Ferrari have.

As for the diffuser, it would explain Costa's comments, but if their worries are well founded then the net effect is the same - they're behind.

vall
vall

segedunum wrote:I wouldn't read anything into Massa's times at the moment. At least the car seems reasonable. Ferrari are the only team who have got fully up to speed yet and I rather suspect McLaren and Mercedes are just verifying and sandbagging. We haven't seen Red Bull yet either. No one wants to show their hand so early, but Ferrari have.

As for the diffuser, it would explain Costa's comments, but if their worries are well founded then the net effect is the same - they're behind.
is it wise to sandbag with the very limited testing this year?

sticky667
sticky667

kubica was wearing a black bell helmet too.

BorisTheBlade

Not for the entire testing season. But for the first one or two tests it won't make a hell of a difference concerning gain of experience.
Remember McLaren 1998 where they basically only pushed 2 of the 3 sectors in barcelona while testing. Everyone was thinking they had a dog of a car - until they proved the opposite.

Rikhart
Rikhart

BorisTheBlade wrote:Not for the entire testing season. But for the first one or two tests it won't make a hell of a difference concerning gain of experience.
Remember McLaren 1998 where they basically only pushed 2 of the 3 sectors in barcelona while testing. Everyone was thinking they had a dog of a car - until they proved the opposite.
This is false, what actually happened was the first or second timed laps on that car were immediately faster than anyone else, by more than a second. It was quite shocking :lol:

BorisTheBlade

Rikhart wrote:
BorisTheBlade wrote:Not for the entire testing season. But for the first one or two tests it won't make a hell of a difference concerning gain of experience.
This is false, what actually happened was the first or second timed laps on that car were immediately faster than anyone else, by more than a second. It was quite shocking :lol:
So either it's my brain tricking me or it was just another year ;) But you get the point, eh ;)