Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Ferrari F10

Astro1 wrote:Diffuser re-design likely source of Ferrari lacking aero rumor.

http://ferrarif1forum.com/2010/02/02/di ... ero-rumor/
I think it is more of an opportunity to push the regulation to the limit than a lack of aero. Their aero could be where it needs to be a the moment, but they may want a green light to exploit the regulation and go all out on the TDD.
For Sure!!

segedunum
segedunum

vall wrote:is it wise to sandbag with the very limited testing this year?
Probably not. It's reassuring to see Ferrari hit the ground running from the off, and they really need it, but the other rival teams simply haven't turned up yet.

Mr Alcatraz

ringo wrote:
Astro1 wrote:Diffuser re-design likely source of Ferrari lacking aero rumor.

http://ferrarif1forum.com/2010/02/02/di ... ero-rumor/
I think it is more of an opportunity to push the regulation to the limit than a lack of aero. Their aero could be where it needs to be a the moment, but they may want a green light to exploit the regulation and go all out on the TDD.
I tend to agree.
Plus nobody knows if Ferrari have shown their hand.
Last year Brawn came out fast, and nobody (including myself) wanted to believe it.
With the new fuel regs it makes for a more complicated equation.
Developement programs are of little real use to us at this point!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Are the winglets on the uprights connected to the endplates?

That's one beat up car! Look at the scratches on the suspension and the messed up hole at the end of the monocoque.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

christopher.mahlon
christopher.mahlon

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the endplates are connected to the diffuser, but I'm surprised they haven't gone whole-hock with the connection like Red Bull did after they adopted the DDD. One would think that would be even more beneficial.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

No, the circled winglets....

Pandamasque

mx_tifosi wrote:No, the circled winglets....
I suppose they need some travel as they're an essential part of brake cooling system. :wink:

PNSD
PNSD

Those circled winglets are actually the upper wishbones I think.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Correct, PNSD. The small winglet is behind the upper wishbone, which is what I was circled.

And no Panda, that winglet does not have anything to do with brake cooling. Just extra DF at the rear? As it doesn't really feed anything else..

Pandamasque

mx_tifosi wrote:And no Panda, that winglet does not have anything to do with brake cooling. Just extra DF at the rear? As it doesn't really feed anything else..
That was me being sarcastic. Wheel/spindle mounted aerodynamic devices aren't allowed, AFAIK. Hence all those fins and stuff is officially a part of the braking system. (correct me if I'm wrong)

ISLAMATRON

no correction needed... you are correct

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Isn't the brake system sealed off except for brake duct opening (inner side)? I would've thought that the little fin is a flow conditioner for the air behind the wishbone.

From the F60,
:arrow: http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 9/699.html
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 03 Feb 2010, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

mx_tifosi wrote:Correct, PNSD. The small winglet is behind the upper wishbone, which is what I was circled.

And no Panda, that winglet does not have anything to do with brake cooling. Just extra DF at the rear? As it doesn't really feed anything else..
I just noticed the winglet behind the brake ducts on the inside of the wheel, I wonder if more teams will adopt this solution
Saishū kōnā

raceman

Pierce89 wrote:Bar555 please come back
yes pls, we are missing your posts here!

Crabbia
Crabbia

raceman wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Bar555 please come back
yes pls, we are missing your posts here!
+1.

lets be honest, I'm a ferrari fan but maclaren is a lot more interesting to follow. i mean their car looks like its been playing paint ball all day. its the cool kid in class that always has the cool new trainers with lights and air pocket in them. Then there is the fact that every day of this test there has been a little detail change: a slice out of the body work here, a new intake there, protective tape on the exhaust, or a new set of shiney wheels.

by contrast ferrari is boring, lets be honest. the newest thing they had since launch was the new front and rear wing, which we knew last week would be the case. and the diffusers. but every1 hid their diffusers. that got old in a day. you only have to look at mclarens 55 pages of thread and compare to ferraris 30 pages to see that its much more interesting in woking than in maranello. (granted, 20 pages of the McL thread is exploring the benefits of working in the Dead Zone, but still...)

my theory (yes another one): the star bucks in woking. its a little over a mile from the MTC. dont believe me?
http://ipass.jiwire.com/wi-fi-wireless- ... try_id=226.
with caramel macchiatos virtually on tap who can blame the blokes at the MTC for pumping out different parts like they work at puzzle factory.

Conversely, the Mob from Modena have all but become immune to the production improving powers of caffiene. Since 2005 its been progressively slowing with new parts not even added to the car this whole test. sad really.

so, Mr Bar 555, please, save every1 else on this forum from another one of my rants and post one of your much appreciated photo comparisons.

think of the ppl u'll save from tedium and dementia.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...