Car enginetones... like ringtones?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Ciro Pabón

Car enginetones... like ringtones?

Hybrids make no noise, so some people is asking for the car to produce some kind of noise, with speakers on the bumpers, to warn pedestrians and cyclists.

I want the enginetone of a Formula One engine, of course.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/autom ... l?_r=1&hpw
Ciro

ISLAMATRON

Re: Car enginetones... like ringtones?

crazy people down here in south Florida put speakers on the outside of the car and blast terrible music... usually those same cars have 26 in rims and truck nuts... it is a horrible thing to see, but the tourists get a kick out of it, and so do the police.

roost89
roost89

I've been thinking about this over the past few weeks, I get bored quite often at work :lol:

I was thinking that collisions will increase, in urban environments especially, when there're lots of hybrid/electric cars rolling around. Purely because if you've got your musical device playing in your ears and the car that's coming toward you is silent. Assuming people don't look more often then I think they'll walk out and claim they never heard the car. Even now, with your ear/headphones in/on you can hear a car coming especially the chavvy/ned cars, maybe just a wee bit, but it's enough to alert you to its presence.

I think that these sound emitting devices would be good. How about it they modified the sound so that you felt it but was inaudible? Is that even possible? I know they can do it with cars when an emergency vehicle is coming.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

flynfrog

I want to have a Train Engine / Train Horn

what about saturn 5 launch is that an option.

qw56q

read that as well, thought about spitfires and stucca's.

flynfrog

ooh the merlin out of the p51

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihgz7opX ... re=related[/youtube]

Giblet
Giblet

flynfrog wrote:ooh the merlin out of the p51

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihgz7opX ... re=related[/youtube]

this summer I was at a big party on Texada island, which is one of the gulf islands near Comox CFB (Canadian Forces Base). This is where we keep a couple squadrons of f18s this side of the Rocky Mountains.

Well, on the Sunday, I am not at the beach, about a 5 minute walk, and I hear this _sound_.

Living in Vancouver we have seaplanes taking off all the time, but this sounded different, and like more than one plane.

I make my way to the beach, and three guys, two in p51's and one in a p38, with a Super Chipmunk style stunt plane hanging around, but no in formation. I wish I had my camera with 720p video fully charged, but I didn't.

So imagine, a beach with about 1000 hippies on it (don't worry, I'm not a hippie :)), and having these three planes doing dive bombing runs for fun over the beach.

It was so awesome, and way better than any air show. I am sure the pilots were pretending to shoot hippies, but thats just me.

The whole fading in of the sound, and the doppler effect. Gives me goosebumps. I barely even got a look at the Chipmunk, and those are cool as --- as well. Piston engine develoment was at it's peak then. the incoming jet engines moved focus away, but man, what Alison was doing with turbo compounding has not been bettered by much since.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

flynfrog

When I lived in Denver a gentleman had a P51 and a spitfire hangered at the airport where I worked. On Fridays they would mock dog fight over the state park with them. Sound was unreal

Hey if we all got WW2 fighters for our hybrids could we dog fight?

autogyro
autogyro

flynfrog wrote:When I lived in Denver a gentleman had a P51 and a spitfire hangered at the airport where I worked. On Fridays they would mock dog fight over the state park with them. Sound was unreal

Hey if we all got WW2 fighters for our hybrids could we dog fight?
We used to have a Hawker Sea Fury at Elstree near London back in the 70,s. It could be rolled just on throttle, 2800 hp. I helped change the starter ring gear from cartridge (awesome) to GPU from a Beverley. The sound it's Bristol sleeve valve engine made, eclipsed the Merlin and of course the Allison by miles.
Seriously though, electric and hybrids can be silent and deadly because of it. In China a number of Cities have banned electric push bikes for this very reason.
So this thread is a serious subject for discussion.

flynfrog

I was taught to look both ways before crossing the street. Maybe not adding the sounds will weed out the ones that didnt pay attention.

ISLAMATRON

flynfrog wrote:I was taught to look both ways before crossing the street. Maybe not adding the sounds will weed out the ones that didnt pay attention.
Exactly, it really does not matter, Idiots will remain being idiots(until they die from their own stiupidity)... I remember driving the BUS(40 ft long and loud as hell) in college and people would step in front of it and tell me they did not see it.

Giblet
Giblet

ISLAMATRON wrote:
flynfrog wrote:I was taught to look both ways before crossing the street. Maybe not adding the sounds will weed out the ones that didnt pay attention.
Exactly, it really does not matter, Idiots will remain being idiots(until they die from their own stiupidity)... I remember driving the BUS(40 ft long and loud as hell) in college and people would step in front of it and tell me they did not see it.
not everyone can look. The blind I am sure would appreciate it
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

autogyro
autogyro

Giblet wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:
not everyone can look. The blind I am sure would appreciate it
Having experienced electric vehicles and racing close up, I do believe it is a serious problem for the future.

Giblet
Giblet

Everyone should just ride one of these.

Should be loud enough.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWqJe1dCgY&NR=1[/youtube]

autogyro
autogyro

Giblet wrote:Everyone should just ride one of these.

Should be loud enough.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWqJe1dCgY&NR=1[/youtube]
I would hate to see it hit a tree!
Two wheels of environmental hazard!
Just the thinking that will see the end of motor sport.