Brawn & Co. swindled in fake $130 million sponsorship deal

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pup
Pup

Brawn & Co. swindled in fake $130 million sponsorship deal

Nick Fry was adamant all season that he had arranged ample sponsorship for next year, but it turns out that one major sponsor (I'm guessing the title sponsor, judging from the size of the deal) was nothing but a sham. Convicted fraudster Willy Luchs did a deal with Fry, acting as a representative of the German company, and former McLaren sponsor, Henkel. With the help of a former Henkel employee and some fake letterhead, he signed up to sponsor the team for a 3-year deal worth over $130 million dollars. Apparently, he then used the contract as collateral to obtain some $65 million in loans, out of which, $16 million is still missing.

It's not clear to me whether Mercedes found out about this after the purchase or before. Joe Saward says afterward, but the dates given in Henkel's press release suggest that it was revealed in Merc's due diligence review prior to the purchase. Or, it's also possible that the Merc/Brawn deal was signed much earlier than the formal announcement.

Regardless, MercGP is now behind the eight-ball in getting another sponsor. I seriously doubt they can get any money out of Henkel, since this looks to be an obvious screw-up on the part of Brawn not doing due diligence, so next year may be a lot more expensive for Mercedes than they'd thought.

Here's Henkel's press release on the deal...
A fraud case, in which the Düsseldorf Prosecutor's Office is investigating the previously convicted fraudster Willy Luchs and a former Henkel employee, has greater scope than originally believed.

Brawn GP has concluded a 3-year sponsorship agreement for 90 million euros with the Dutch letterbox company operated by the convicted fraudster Willy Luchs. A former Henkel employee is alleged to have entered into a guarantee from Henkel to support such sponsorship agreement.

Additionally, it is totally unprecedented to believe that an employee at the 5th management level of a DAX-listed company would have been authorised to either negotiate or sign agreements of such magnitude and commercial profile without involving the company's senior management, Finance, Marketing or Legal departments. The appropriate level of diligence does not appear to have been undertaken by Brawn GP as even a simple "Google" search would have revealed Willy Luchs' criminal past.

Following an enquiry by Daimler on September 28, Henkel informed Daimler that a Formula 1 sponsorship agreement with Brawn GP neither exists nor was planned.

On October 28, after Henkel was informed by the Dusseldorf Prosecutor's Office and the fraudulent acts became apparent, it immediately notified Daimler of the acts of Willy Luchs and the former Henkel employee. Henkel fully supports the Dusseldorf Prosecutor's Office in their investigations.

On November 13, Brawn GP demanded payment from Henkel with a fixed deadline and with the threat of legal action. To safeguard its legitimate interests, on November 19 Henkel began court proceedings against Brawn GP in the Dusseldorf District Court in order for the Court to determine that there are no obligations whatsoever on Henkel on the basis of the existing documents. Henkel will not accept a fraudulent sponsorship arrangement with Brawn GP, based on clear and obvious fraudulent acts.
Last edited by Pup on 14 Dec 2009, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

ISLAMATRON

Re: Brawn & Co. swindled out of $130 million...

No problem... MercGP will go bust and Nick Fry will buy it for 1 pound :wink:

wesley123
wesley123

well, if im correct someone put his signature on the cotract, the represetive of henkel is then responsible, so the fraudster is probably responsible for the deal now, so i think that he now actually has to come with $130 million
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pup
Pup

Re: Brawn & Co. swindled in fake $130 million sponsorship deal

I'm not clear on whether the former Henkel employee was former at the time, or just now that he's been found out. If he was still an employee, then there's an argument that was legally acting as an agent of Henkel and therefore, Henkel is responsible. Judging from Henkel's press release, though, it doesn't look like the man would have been in a position to make such a deal, nor would it have been reasonable for an outsider to infer that he would.

So to me, this looks like a clear failure on Brawn's part, though of course we're only hearing one side of the story right now.

WhiteBlue

wesley123 wrote:so the fraudster is probably responsible for the deal now, so i think that he now actually has to come with $130 million
You can't take money out of a naked man's pocket. LOL, so typically Fry.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

GTO

It's not like the team lost any $$$, except their own legal team cost. Looks like they have some sponsorship shopping to do...perhaps now that Toyota are out, on Boxing Day they can get some good deals. :lol:
I would think Merc. has a list of clients that sponsor their other racing programs that they can hit up.

Pup
Pup

What they've lost is time and opportunities for signing up other sponsors, which in turn is worth, one could argue, at least $43 million, since I suspect it's too late for them to find another sponsor of that size for next season. And there's the cost of wining and dining potential replacement sponsors. There's also the damage to their reputation to consider. But, as WB points out, there's no real recourse for the team other than going after Henkel, and I think that's a dead end.

GTO

Pup wrote:What they've lost is time and opportunities for signing up other sponsors, which in turn is worth, one could argue, at least $43 million, since I suspect it's too late for them to find another sponsor of that size for next season. And there's the cost of wining and dining potential replacement sponsors. There's also the damage to their reputation to consider. But, as WB points out, there's no real recourse for the team other than going after Henkel, and I think that's a dead end.
Without knowing details of this scam, I think it's their own fault due to not performing due diligence. Too bad so sad. Why do you think it's too late to find another sponsor? They have 90 days until Race #1. They have experience from last year.

xpensive
xpensive

My intial reaction when I first heard about it was; A 90 MEUR deal to market detergents and shampoo, in F1?

Secondly, I was thinking about a rather smug Nick Fry, who already in October or something declared that he had financing for the next three years in his pocket.

Good Lord, don't tell me Mercedes based their buy-out on this?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JamesS
JamesS

Funny stuff.

donskar
donskar

I'm at work, therefore using as few brain cells as possible. That may be why I am totally confused by this:
With the help of a former Henkel employee and some fake letterhead, he signed up to sponsor the team for a 3-year deal worth over $130 million dollars. Apparently, he then used the contract as collateral to obtain some $65 million in loans, out of which, $16 million is still missing.
The contract bound the fraudster to paying Brawn $130 million+. How could he use money he owed as collateral to borrow more?

Is this not like going to a bank and saying, "I want to borrow $65 million."

"Collateral? Certainly. As collateral, I am obligated to pay another organization $130 million over the next three years. I will use that debt as collateral to go more deeply into debt."

:wtf:

Now, if he was selling space on the Brawn car, as Marlboro apparently does with Ferrari, that's different.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Fil

i wouldn't really expect anything else from the marketing team that brought us 'earthdreams' :roll:

does the marketing team at ex-honda/brawn even know how to sign up sponsors? They've been out of practice for the better part of 3yrs now..

They probably claim they have the financial backing of a Nigerian civil servant; they just need to help him get his money out of his war-torn country to get their reward... :lol:
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

axle
axle

I wonder if some of the "value" Mercedes saw in Brawn was tied up in that deal and therefore now they will be really pi55ed at making Brawn's owners a far too large offer....

I expect monies have not actually transferred yet and so I can forsee a behind closed doors swift revaluation completed...thus reducing the amount that each individual is "owed".

I can see Nick Fry being booted for this...'bout time too!
- Axle

Craigy

axle wrote:I can see Nick Fry being booted for this...'bout time too!
He still owns a fair percentage of Merc GP, so he's in the money either way.
Iah wouln't-ah feel too sorry-ah for him-ah, becaus..ah his eh way of speaking is-uh very-uh annoying.

C

axle
axle

Craigy wrote:
axle wrote:I can see Nick Fry being booted for this...'bout time too!
He still owns a fair percentage of Merc GP, so he's in the money either way.
Iah wouln't-ah feel too sorry-ah for him-ah, becaus..ah his eh way of speaking is-uh very-uh annoying.

C
Where did you read that I felt sorry for him?!?!
- Axle