Death of the DDD's

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

Death of the DDD's

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80766

2 seasons too late if you ask me

Scotracer
Scotracer

Re: Death of the DDD's

The cars don't need slowed down in my opinion. As Mike Gascoyne stated, removing them won't improve the overtaking situation...we'll just have slower cars. And who wants that?
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

ISLAMATRON

I think it will help the overtaking situation... but we shall see.

and for those who complained about the FIA allways changing the rules every year and that costing the teams so much money please read
AUTOSPORT understands that technical chiefs discussed reducing downforce levels in a meeting of FOTA's Technical Regulations Working Group (TRWG) late last year, and agreed that the rules should be changed to effectively outlaw double diffusers.
And that is how it has pretty much been done since the first Concorde... it is the teams that make all these rule changes

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

1 year in advance, before any work has begun on the 2011 design. That is how rule changes should be.

xpensive
xpensive

ISLAMATRON wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80766

2 seasons too late if you ask me
Indeed, one can only speculate on MrM's and the FIA's incentives when they declined to quench this "interpretation"
of the rules when they had the chance, almost one year ago?
Last edited by xpensive on 07 Jan 2010, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

wesley123
wesley123

why not let them drive wooden boxes? then overtaking would be made alot easier and also the cars are going way slower. Really, they should stop taking downforce out as it is proven it doesnt help overtaking, this year is a great example, there wasnt any more overtaking then the years before.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

tarzoon

why don't they increase the power instead? Fast cars with big cojones drivers will definitely result in massive entertainment!

ISLAMATRON

because FOTA destroyed KERS, so no "more power" for anyone

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

This year we'll see how how much difference the DD diffusers make. 2010 will be a shocking year compared to 2009. For me, it's good to see this upcoming ban. They should have had the vision to do this for 2010 in 2009 when they did the "clarification". They really didn't see how that loophole would change the nature of F1 design.

WhiteBlue

tarzoon wrote:why don't they increase the power instead? Fast cars with big cojones drivers will definitely result in massive entertainment!

Yes, and add some JATOs instead of KERS to improve the spectacle.

Joking aside, I agree with the view that DDDs should have been banned in winter 2008/2009 or when the first inquiries were made to Charlie Whiting. We might have seen a much better technical execution of KERS. But it is water under the bridge now.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

ISLAMATRON wrote:because FOTA destroyed KERS, so no "more power" for anyone
Ah, so this was just another "blame FOTA in general"-thread?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Richard
Richard

wesley123 wrote:why not let them drive wooden boxes? then overtaking would be made alot easier and also the cars are going way slower. Really, they should stop taking downforce out as it is proven it doesnt help overtaking, this year is a great example, there wasnt any more overtaking then the years before.
I'm in favour of less downforce, it makes the drivers work harder to keep the car on the track.

There used to be some classic fast sweeping corners where drivers had to lift off to stay on the track. Nowadays it is hard to sort the men from the boys when they can all burn round with the foot flat down. .... and anything that sorts men from boys will improve overtaking.

Wasn't Suzuka this year brilliant for sorting men from boys? We'd see more of that if the cars slid off the track more readily.

WhiteBlue

It looks like they all try to find another round of aerodynamic changes. 2010 change was about front wheels and bigger fuel tanks. 2011 something new was required to have yet another stupid aero configuration that has no value in itself and just serves to create artificial change. 2012 they will probably complain about lack of performance and find another aero tweak.

What F1 needs to do IMO, is finding competitiveness in fuel efficiency.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ISLAMATRON

xpensive wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:because FOTA destroyed KERS, so no "more power" for anyone
Ah, so this was just another "blame FOTA in general"-thread?
No, but there are so many things to blame them for it will always come up... kinda like your stupid worthless posts

* again... this is me attacking the post and not the poster

roost89
roost89

Hmm, not sure what to make of the banning of the extra deck. I'm looking forward to seeing how big those decks'll be this season. The double deckers are within the rules guys, no matter what you believe.
The "frisbees" are banned this season, so we'll probably see an improvement in overtaking possibilities.
It'll only be a loss of 1 second. So that'll be made up pretty swiftly I would imagine, with optimisation of the car.

If they really want overtaking, why not go back to random order of the grid? (pre-world-war 2 system) Give some points for Quali or Race 1. Then have them shuffled for Race 2, the main event. Then we will see some overtaking as fast cars will have to overtake slower ones...no?

Food for thought from the bottom of the article:
Gascoyne: "But if you look at it carefully, what the [F1 teams'] aero group set out to achieve it actually did, and if you take the diffuser away it will do exactly what it said on the tin. Unfortunately that will never help you overtake anyone."
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green