Death of the DDD's

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Death of the DDD's

Gascoyne will never understand because he has never designed a car capable of overtaking another, only of being overtaken :wink:

Pandamasque

ISLAMATRON wrote:Gascoyne will never understand because he has never designed a car capable of overtaking another, only of being overtaken :wink:
Unlike yourself.

Richard
Richard

Do not feed the trolls!

ISLAMATRON

Pandamasque wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Gascoyne will never understand because he has never designed a car capable of overtaking another, only of being overtaken :wink:
Unlike yourself.
actually I have helped design quite a few cars capable of overtaking its competition, Goscoyne's lastest accomplishment? Getting Fired from FIF1 who was at the rear end of the grid and having the team be much more successful the next season. Every team he is fired from seems to immediately do better... does not say much for his management or design skills.

Flabbio Fixatore
Flabbio Fixatore

Do you actually think that MORE restrictions is what is needed?

I agree that at that point, you might as well ban stressed skin chassis as well as inboard suspension.

If certain teams coming up with brilliant loopholes (and thus crushing your favorite team in the process) puts you on the "ban-wagon", you might as well as send them back to the stone age.

I can't see how banning advancements makes anything better, it just makes the development money that has already been spent an utter waste, all for a percieved gain in spectacle that never seems to come anyways...

ISLAMATRON

DDD's were not an "advancement" it was just another way to increase the size of the diffuser... KERS was an advancement... and FOTA killed it off...

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

ISLAMATRON wrote:DDD's were not an "advancement" it was just another way to increase the size of the diffuser... KERS was an advancement... and FOTA killed it off...
Quite agreed, but understand that DD diffusers real advance is in being able to create tunnels and move the center of DF forward in the chassis.

Flabbio Fixatore
Flabbio Fixatore

There's no sense arguing with bigotry. No matter how well you present, it will be nitpicked to death.

I think that DDD was a huge advance in technology. You may not (for whatever percieved reason), but now that all teams have it, it is more of a waste to get rid of it than it is to keep it.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

In the interests of reducing costs, the FIA needs to step in and resolve this one way or another. Teams are currently spending a lot of money designing the 2010 car, and any major change drastically increases costs. Heck, Ferrari came out with a super-lightweight chassis for Kimi.. I wonder how many millions it cost them to develop that piece of kit. And if DDD is around in 2010, it will likely disappear in 2011, requiring a major redesign of the cars.

Although I love technology and believe that Formula One cars should be the peak of automotive technology, it's also time to realize that in this day when we need to contain costs, excessive spending is still hurting the teams. Just last season, KERS was introduced, and now it appears it's destined for the boneyard. And for the teams having to completely redesign their cars to accomodate the DDD, more money spent.

The FIA has to be more stringent and thoughtful in how they write the regulations, and they need to make every effort to stabilize this kind of spending. I hate to say this, but at this moment in time, rules stability is required until the economy becomes less fragile.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

conni
conni

F1 is about the best driver car combination thats it everything else is rules but I think the rules are far too tight and dont allow the teams to use their brains
I think they should base the fuel allowance on the Co2 produced and have a low limit so that the sport forces innovation and the use of different fuels that will benefit the world

all great innovations are based on sport or war they are both competions but id rather have sport than war

conni

ISLAMATRON

DaveKillens wrote:The FIA has to be more stringent and thoughtful in how they write the regulations, and they need to make every effort to stabilize this kind of spending. I hate to say this, but at this moment in time, rules stability is required until the economy becomes less fragile.
The FIA does not write the rules, the teams do... IT HAS BEEN LIKE THAT SINCE THE FIRST CONCORDE... the FIA merely approves the rules and enforces them.

If FOTA wants stable rules then they should just do it... but it does not seem to be what they want. So far they have put into effect the refueling ban, the front tire size change, the wheel cover ban, increase in ballast, Death(for now) of KERS, and soon the banning of DDDs.

I thought mostly everyone on these boards was yelling that the teams know what is best for them, so now that Max is gone and Todt works quietly and allows FOTA to be at the forefront everyone is saying the opposite?

The teams have never agreed on what is best for F1, because they only care about what is best for themselves.

sticky667
sticky667

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Pandamasque wrote:
Unlike yourself.
actually I have helped design quite a few cars capable of overtaking its competition, Goscoyne's lastest accomplishment? Getting Fired from FIF1 who was at the rear end of the grid and having the team be much more successful the next season. Every team he is fired from seems to immediately do better... does not say much for his management or design skills.
actually most cars are designed at least 1 yr prior. for the most part. so that would mean he had a huge influence in both designs which improved the following year.

Richard
Richard

Back to topic

Yes, the technology of DDD's has been a big advance. We should keep the innovation of packaging large tunnels and moving the centre of suction forward.

I believe you can get rid of the "double" bit to keep a check on excess downforce, and still keep the innovative packaging noted above.

Rule stability is important now, and also start to think of low cost options to open up innovation and variation in the different cars on the grid. The current performance levels are too close, hence little overtaking or variability of results.

Actually, what we need for the diffusers is a rule freeze so a rule can only be changed with a clear full season. For example any changes made after the first race in 2009 don't come into force until the first race in 2011. Then teams know its worth investing in innovation because the result will stay for at least 2 seasons.

ISLAMATRON

So now holes in the floor are big technology in F1... wow has it progressed... large tunnels are nothing new, poking holes in the floor to make them are.

ISLAMATRON

sticky667 wrote:actually most cars are designed at least 1 yr prior. for the most part. so that would mean he had a huge influence in both designs which improved the following year.
Everything I read said Force India got rid of Gascoyne's design and started from scratch... they even left their aero model at the wind tunnel for some bum to come collect... at least thats how the story I heard goes.