edit post limitations

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Richard

edit post limitations

Is it just me, or has the edit function become more restrictive?

A couple of times recently, I've wanted to go back an correct spelling or grammar and I've not been able to edit my post.

Most the time it doesn't matter, but I once missed out the word "not" from a sentence! Also, today, I messed up a quote and can't correct it.

It used to be possible because I once referred to a "120%" rule for quali times, someone corrected me and I went back to the earlier post to correct it to "107%".

Steven
Owner

Re: edit post limitations

It's not you ;)

There is a time limit specifying the number of minutes you can edit your posts after having posted them. I understand 60 minutes can be a bit short to correct errors, so I've changed it to 24 hours.

I hope this helps.

Steven

xpensive

My problem is related, revered moderator. If I fail to correct mis-sprelings of my ever so eloquent insults within a certain timeframe, I get a very embarassing "Last edited..." under the post, can said timeframe be xtended somehow as well?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Steven
Owner

xpensive wrote:My problem is related, revered moderator. If I fail to correct mis-sprelings of my ever so eloquent insults within a certain timeframe, I get a very embarassing "Last edited..." under the post, can said timeframe be xtended somehow as well?
Don't think I can do much about that xpensive.
I wouldn't worry about that anyway, everybody mistypes and nobody cares :D

WhiteBlue

Perhaps we can have an explanation why the postings cannot be edited unlimited as they used to be. I prefer to be able to make changes to thread titles if necessary. It is sometimes useful when events change the perspective but a continuing thread is an advantage. If there are substantial changes we can mark the edited section. I just don't like unnecessary restrictions that we never used to need before.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pandamasque

I agree that posts/topics should be editable (update-able) w/o limits.

The "Last edited..." thing is ok, imo.

tok-tokkie

I prefer the short time frame for editing posts - 30 to 60 minutes.
On another forum I follow there is an obnoxious poster who edits his posts so they are very different to how they originally were to disguise his previously rude postings. 30-60 minutes to correct simple errors but thereafter what you said stands.

WhiteBlue

why make a change to something that worked perfectly?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive

tok-tokkie wrote:I prefer the short time frame for editing posts - 30 to 60 minutes.
On another forum I follow there is an obnoxious poster who edits his posts so they are very different to how they originally were to disguise his previously rude postings. 30-60 minutes to correct simple errors but thereafter what you said stands.
I agree, I have actually noticed xactly the same problem on F1T. :wink:

Pandamasque

xpensive wrote:I agree, I have actually noticed xactly the same problem on F1T. :wink:

Steven
Owner

WhiteBlue wrote:why make a change to something that worked perfectly?
Well, it wasn't working perfectly, which is why we made the change. You should be around he long enough to have noticed the editing possibility having been misused.

Anyway, 24h is still a long stretch, which I think is reasonable.
If a topic really needs renaming, just ask by sending a PM to Moderators.

WhiteBlue

Ok, I obviously did not observe any abuse. Sorry to learn that people cannot use the board responsibly.

xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:Ok, I obviously did not observe any abuse. Sorry to learn that people cannot use the board responsibly.
Indeed. #-o

Richard

Tomba wrote:I've changed it to 24 hours.
Thanks