Williams FW32 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raceman

Re: Williams Cosworth FW32

mx_tifosi wrote:Do you guys say that because of the engine itself, relationship with manufacturer, or what else?
At least I here say it is (mainly and mostly) just because of the engine that is causing Williams to downperform as they are quite strong in aero department. And yes, they will be ruing their decision not to go with Renault!

Morteza

bjpower wrote:
gibells wrote:
raceman wrote:Get rid of that Cosworth sh!t lump is all Williams need to do to climb up the field. :twisted:
Got to agree with you there mate. They'll be ruing the day they didn't go with Renault.
im no entirely sure the engines make that much difference. look at redbull and renault last year.
or fearri and force india when they were using fearri engines.
there is a difference in engines but i dont think its as big as people think.

sure you can look at the face that all cossy engine teams are at the back.
but 3 of them are the new teams and the other teams have poor cars.

i dont think they would be anywhere different if they had merc engines.
Agreed.
It's all about how you transfer the power of the engine to the tires and the aerodynamics. I believe what they lack is aerodynamics not the power.

But do engines make that much difference? We have STR Ferrari and Force India teams that are using Ferrari and Mercedes engines but they're not performing well. I wonder what would happen if a top team used Cosworth engines :mrgreen: Keep it mind RBR Cosworth, Vodafone Mclaren Cosworth!!! :mrgreen:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

marcush.
marcush.

http://www.baranidesign.com/acceleratio ... ation.html

try this link and play a bit with power and weight for a typical straight with decent exit speed and you will see ..
also very revealing to put in different corner exit speeds like we saw in turkey with 260 vs 248 ..for the time on the straight and endspeed this has only minor significance...

axle
axle

I don't think the Cosworth is short of grunt, but it's definitely being criticised on the driveability front.
- Axle

marcush.
marcush.

funny to see that Barrichello with a fresh engine is exactly as quick as Hülkenberg with a down on power 900km lump...so he runs a lot less downforce ,or what?

Race:
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/erge ... 71ts.shtml

Qualy:
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/erge ... 51ts.shtml

engine usage:
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/erge ... 7/76.shtml

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

axle wrote:I don't think the Cosworth is short of grunt, but it's definitely being criticised on the driveability front.
Its not short of grunt if you use the 2005-2008 engine rule of one engine to 2 GPs. However this 8 for the season rule is where the CA2010 seemingly looses more grunt over a certain distance, rumored to be arround the 1600km mark. There was the 7% to 9% more power is lost with the Cozzie over the benchmark engine (Mercedes) for every 200km over that distance.

The CA2010 was rumored to be the most powerful at the start of the season at 770hp, 10 more than the Mercedes, 15-20 more than the Ferarri and up to arround 25 more than the Renault. Its this fact that Williams have been pissed off with their decision, the Renault was gonna cost the same, and they would have got the same service that Red Bull enjoy with Renault, the only thing that was scratchy was posible engine supply issues, whitch they didnt want to contend with that may have seen Willaims have to use one engine for as many as 4 GPs on a couple of occasions.

Personally, i think Williams, altho not publically saying it, are feeling that they could now have managed the supply issues with Renault over over the posible power issues with the Cosworth.

raymondu999

Do you have a source for those numbers though?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

How are they for next year though? Williams Renault, back in blue white and yellow?
For Sure!!

zgred

ringo

Do they have the redbull exhaust as yet?
For Sure!!

zgred

raymondu999

That cascade looks positively redbull-ish
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Blackout

No more Brawn splitter + new fins under the nose a la Toyota/Lotus/Ferrari...+ the new wing

axle
axle

I did think it was odd that McLaren chose to copy Williams' FW30 for the MP4-25 and fit the under nose splitter, only for Williams to abandon it for the Brawn splitter...

Guess they realised they were right first time, though they've not yet intro'd the old splitter I can see it being something they look at again.
- Axle

WhiteBlue

ESPImperium wrote:Personally, i think Williams, altho not publically saying it, are feeling that they could now have managed the supply issues with Renault over over the posible power issues with the Cosworth.
raymondu999 wrote:Do you have a source for those numbers though?
ESPImperium, please allow me one personal remark. I will delete if if it is offensive. :oops: You seem to have the biggest pair of crystal balls from all of us. :wink:

I simply love to gossip with you and enjoy the stuff you gather by apparent divination.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)