Sam Michael at Williams

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Steven
Owner

Sam Michael at Williams

hmm I was reading that Patrick Head admitted the change of technical director from him to Sam Michael may not have proven to be the right one until now.

I think there has been some serious talking there at Williams, and I sure don't want to be Sam at the momemt :lol:
Is it possible then that that "igniting Montoya's engine too late" was a responsibility of Sam Michael there?
I see he is responsible of course, but could he have changed it and resolved the matter at that time?

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

I've had the impression for the last couple of weeks that Head made Sam Tech director for a simple cause....in 1998 when Villeneuve left Williams Jock Clear went with him....in 95 when Coulthard went to Mclaren he took David Brown (the only eng. to work with Mansell, Prost, Senna and HIll...he was considered one of the best)...in 1996 Damon Hill took 3 eng with him to Arrows......

I know Sam Michael and Montoya have a close relationship....I'd say that Head put him as tech director in order to secure him at Williams....so that he didn't have the temptation of going to Mclaren...I'd bet that Montoya would convince him to move and Mclaren would be willing to pay!

West
West

He's new to the job and has limited experience, so I wouldn't say anything yet.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well he might not have too much experience...but in any case he was the director of research and development at Jordan in 96 and 97. And even without too much experience...I really don't believe Patrick gave Sam 100% of the job....probably Patrick is still giving a hand behind the sceens.

West
West

I meant limited in the sense of technical director... running all the operations pretty much.

He's only 33 also; he's hella young
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements