How will Americans fair in Formula 1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
acela
acela

How will Americans fair in Formula 1

How will the americans fair in formula 1.As far what i see is the americans will excell in field like electronics and software/system engineering. we all know this field is something the americans are good with their electronics /software capabilities. besides that the other field they will excell is in material engineering and aerodynamics.Also proven to be one of the best in the world since they have good space programme which R&D in this field is excellant. other field such as engine or chasis? nope no chance. we all know the Japs,french and Germans are good engine builders. but the chasis department is something the ohers cannot touch since the British are very good in this area.They made this are by their own. What do you all think?

All of those are clichés if you ask me. Just because a country has a reputation in breeding good engineers in a particular field does not automatically mean it is absolutely valid.

I'm a cliche for my opinion...Americans as drivers in F1 won't fair very well, remember, all things have to be equal in the racing series, and cardinal rule #1: No racing with right hand cornering or turning involved!

sharkie17

If American corporations wanted to get involved in F1 in a typical American way, they would eventually excel.
However, main reason (in my opinion) that U.S. based team will not happen is that, there is no money in F1 for them... U.S. already has too many series, one of them being the most popular in U.S. history (NASCAR), then we have CART, IRL, and numerous other grassroot series which all have commercial potential. There is no interest in American motorsports population about F1 and since there is no interest, companies dont have interest either.
(Indy Grand Prix was aired in only one channel in the entire U.S!!!!!)

All the attempt in the past from U.S has been half hearted at best (sending over few drivers who really wasnt ready for the commitment that F1 requires i.e. Michael Andretti).

but it is my sincere belief that IF American team would want to commit the time and resources to F1, we would do very well.

sharkie17

Anonymous wrote:I'm a cliche for my opinion...Americans as drivers in F1 won't fair very well, remember, all things have to be equal in the racing series, and cardinal rule #1: No racing with right hand cornering or turning involved!
that may not be true. Just because they race the other way doesnt mean that they cant go the other way.
Last edited by sharkie17 on 10 Jul 2004, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

My personal opinion is that Americans haven't had a break in F1!

My opinion is that alot of people don't like to leave their country....so they tend to get an education in a area that lets them stay in their country. Japan is so good in engines and electronics because these are areas that are developed there and since people don't want to leave they study in order to work in a area that existes in the country. Same thing with NASA (for example) if you have something in your country that is more or less a national pride probably alot of people will think want to work for them.

Leaving a country involves alot of things...it isn't easy starting a life from basicly scratch...so people tend to stay where they already have something! In the UK motorsport is a very big industry with alot to give and people knowing this and having much more contact with motorsports then in any other country will be interested in it and will want to be conected to it in some way.

sharkie17

you have a point... when Michael Andretti was racing in F1, he was absolutely miserable because he missed U.S. so much. Jeff Gordon was considering F1 at one time but he could not imagine leaving U.S.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

I notice that even with my collegues that have never left Portugal, for a few weeks.

In my case I lived in Canada for 4 years...I went to Canada when I was 4, back to Portugal, 2 years in Lisbon then 8 years in Évora....now University in Covilhã....I'm one of those guys that I really don't mind leaving Portugal to go after my dream of working in Formula 1. (to tell you the truth I don't like Portugal that much...I grew up in Edmonton (Canada)....which is 1000 times better then Portugal)

But I have friends that are studying aeronautical engineering and their "dream" is to finish university and go back to their town and work in something else....they don't care whay kind of job they get...they just want to stay in the place they grew up and were born!!!

axle
axle

Erm the Yanks are in F1...BAT (British and American Tobacco) anyone?? Owners of BAR....ok so they don't have direct input but they do have input.
- Axle

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

The yanks are also in Ferrari...Marlboro (35% of the bill is paid by Philip Morris America)....but the thing is about engineers and drivers....why don't they fair in F1...cause if you look at the sponsors....there are quite a few in F1.

axle
axle

I watched part of a Champ Car race the other day....loads of the chief engineers were Brits - lol :D
- Axle

West
West

Michael Andretti didn't live in England when driving for McLaren, so he was basically flying to Woking or wherever before flying to a race.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

SKRAT
SKRAT

From a general coporate point-of-view, it's having a focused, well-directed, and supported organization (large or small) that makes good engineering teams into great ones.

Heck, with globalization running rampant these days innovation can come out of anywhere for people willing to listen and learn for a second. For heavens sake, I was reading in Racecar Engineering about a Kiwi who's putting motorcycle racing suspension experience to good use in top-level four wheel motorsport. A Honda design center in the middle of Ohio? Seems like well funded racing will basically import (or just buy) the talent they need to suceed regardless.

Loads of smart engineers out there, not so many smart leaders I'm afraid (and I happen to think engineers do make good, if not the best, leaders)

-Paul C

sharkie17

axle wrote:Erm the Yanks are in F1...BAT (British and American Tobacco) anyone?? Owners of BAR....ok so they don't have direct input but they do have input.
lol.. Axle, BAT is based out of London, IS NOT an U.S. (or Yankee) corporation.

it is true that engineers would make good leaders... but engineers doesnt necesasrily make the best business leaders. Remember people investing in F1 will be business people, not engineers. They will expect some kind of return from their investments. Marboro did a smart thing by supporting Ferrari... color is red, (marboro color is red), Ferrari wins a bunch, which means that they will be SEEN a bunch, so they are getting every bit of that money back from Ferrari advertising. (You dont see them supporting Minardi for example).

my initial assessment stands... there is really no money in F1 for U.S. based corporations (or for U.S. based team).