Website performance - server speed?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Website performance - server speed?

All,

since we are evaluating the current server infrastructure, I was wondering if any of you have remarks to make about the performce of f1technical. I'd like to hear it when everything is fine, or when it's down or slower than the average of websites.

Thanks,
Steven

Sawtooth-spike

Re: Website performance - server speed?

I only have speed issue on my Iphone, When i load a new page is can take quite sometime to download (using wireless). Both my Work PC and Desktop never have any problems, in fact F1 Technical runs a lot faster than GP Update.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

hollus

Performance seems absolutely fine to me, less than 1 second tipically to load a page... I would say better than the average site.
Rivals, not enemies.

Giblet

Same here as sawtooth on my iPhone but I think it's just due to the device. I have a 3g and my brother has a faster 3gs and pages load faster on his phone.

I have noticed some minor slowdown during peak periods on my desktop. I have occasionally received a server error during these times. I can't remember the specific error as it cast off with single refresh.

Overall snappy with pure HTML but sometimes scripts when posting a message seem slow, leading to some impatient users double posting. Sending a pm seems to take disproportionally longer than it should.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Carlos

Since going from server to server company has not made a difference,maybe thats not the problem, just as a computer needs to be cleaned up and optimized, maybe this article about website parameter evaluation will be of help:
http://blogs.msdn.com/alikl/archive/200 ... d-ibm.aspx

Yslow seems to be popular:
http://corfield.org/blog/index.cfm/do/b ... with_YSlow
http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/help/

Opinions differ and more advice:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/0 ... blems.html

:D When you need a break from all that coding stuff; read Jeremy Clarkson. :D
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... _clarkson/

ESPImperium

Id give it a 96% audit score if i were using corperate language.

I sometimes get the raw page, but nothing a small refresh click doesnt solve. Sometimes i log out overnight, but thats a problem with my computer not the server.

My only critisism is that theres a lack of a quick reply function at the bottomk of each thread like there is on a few other boards like ones that are "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0" ones. And the second one being that when ever typing a long reply, lines and paragraphs get lost from where they should be, but i think thats a functionality issue with my computer.

Other than that, im fine. Im happy and thats what matters.

Pandamasque

It's absolutely fine for me except on few special occasions (new car presentations IIRC), but that was the same for everyone I guess.

donskar

My job (e-commerce) keeps me on the Internet 60-65 hours per week. I hit at least 15-20 different sites daily. F1Technical is far above average -- say, 95-97%.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Ganxxta

hollus wrote:Performance seems absolutely fine to me, less than 1 second tipically to load a page... I would say better than the average site.
+1 According to fasterfox 1.1s for load...

roost89

on my slow internet, I tend to load a page while reading another so I'm not sure how fast it is.

However, I sometimes get various errors. 404 and another. Most of the time they're in the busy sessions (launches and race weekends).

Just now, everything seems to be within the normal speed for my internet browsing.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green