Turkish GP 2010 - Istanbul Park

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

chasefreak wrote:all that matters is ... when the lap is over who is faster... just being faster in T8 does not help... and we all know rb's have more downforce
Slow in turn 8 would indicate to me that the rear wing is not living up to it's hope. That is a massively long corner and to be slow there indicates a DF problem in relation to the Red bulls, which I've read, were almost flat thru all of turn 8.

wesley123
wesley123

so that means the only good cars on the grid are the renault and the red bulls? the rest is 10Kph slower
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Sean H
Sean H

Re: Turkish GP 2010 - Istanbul Park

I didn't know how the gearbox limit was written. So other than eating up some equipment, it should be a non-issue.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Yes, you're right .. the Renaults are pretty good :lol:

Sorry for the dig, but the new rear wing package seems to be sacrificing too much downforce for the benefit of the blown wing (I'm tired of the stupid F duct name). I wonder if they will revert to the previous rear wing tomorrow? I wonder how long it takes to swap those out? A few hours I would guess, given all that's involved.

WhiteBlue

Sean H wrote:I didn't know how the gearbox limit was written. So other than eating up some equipment, it should be a non-issue.
There is no rule for a change of equipment on Friday. The rule only cuts in on Saturday with FP3 and qualifying.
28.6 For the purposes of this Article only, an Event will be deemed to comprise P3, the qualifying practice session and the race.
a) Each driver may use no more than one gearbox for four consecutive Events in which his team competes. Should a driver use a replacement gearbox he will drop five places on the starting grid at that Event and an additional five places each time a further gearbox is used.
Any replacement gearbox must be fitted with the same gear ratios that were declared under d) below and will only be required to complete the remainder of the Event in question. Any change to the gear ratios declared under d) below will incur a further five grid place penalty. In either case a new four race sequence may start at the following Event.
Unless the driver fails to finish the race (see below) the gearbox fitted to the car at the end of the Event must remain in it for three further Events. Any driver who failed to finish the race at the first, second or third of the four Events for reasons which the technical delegate accepts as being beyond the control of the team or driver, may start the following Event with a different gearbox without a penalty being incurred.
A gearbox will be deemed to have been used once the car’s timing transponder has shown that it has left the pit lane.
b) If a driver is replaced after the first, second or third of a four Event period, having finished the first, second or third Events, the replacement driver must use the gearbox which the original driver had been using.
c) After consultation with the relevant team the FIA will attach seals to each gearbox in order to ensure that no moving parts, other than those specifically permitted under d) below, can be rebuilt or replaced.
d) At each Event seals may be broken once, under supervision and at any time prior to the second day of practice, for the sole purpose of changing gear ratios and dog rings (excluding final drives or reduction gears). Competitors must inform the FIA technical delegate which ratios they intend to fit no later than two hours after the end of P2.
Gear ratios and dog rings (excluding final drives or reduction gears) may also be changed under supervision for others of identical specification at any time during an Event provided the FIA technical delegate is satisfied there is evident physical damage to the parts in question and that such changes are not being carried out on a systematic basis.
e) Other than under d) above, a replacement gearbox will also be deemed to have been used if any of the FIA seals are damaged or removed from the original gearbox after it has been used for the first time.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

outer_bongolia

Judging from the sector times in Formula1 website, McLaren definitely seems to be lacking in downforce.
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... times.html
They are really fast in sectors 1 and 3, but the curvy sector 2 is killing them. Red Bull is 0.4s faster there. It seems the new rear wing is not bridging the gap too much..
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Sean H
Sean H

Thanks.

So it is safe to assume that nobody uses a race gearbox in FP1 or 2, correct?
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

wesley123
wesley123

it is simply well known mclaren is lacking downforce

WhiteBlue

Sean H wrote:So it is safe to assume that nobody uses a race gearbox in FP1 or 2, correct?
Unless you were in Bahrain. :wink:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

forty-two

wesley123 wrote:it is simply well known mclaren is lacking downforce
Sorry Wesley, but do you have a quotable source for this information?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

wesley123
wesley123

forty-two wrote:
wesley123 wrote:it is simply well known mclaren is lacking downforce
Sorry Wesley, but do you have a quotable source for this information?
Actually it is said everywhere. Hamilton said it multiple times already this year and it is just a fact, it was actually discussed in this thread recently

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

outer_bongolia wrote:Judging from the sector times in Formula1 website, McLaren definitely seems to be lacking in downforce.
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... times.html
They are really fast in sectors 1 and 3, but the curvy sector 2 is killing them. Red Bull is 0.4s faster there. It seems the new rear wing is not bridging the gap too much..
Yes, the RB is ~4/10ths faster in S2 but over a lap the MP4 is ~1/10th faster. We'll need to wait for Q3 tomorrow (assuming both make it that far) to see how much the RB has in reserve because if those times are representative of outright pace (and that's not very likely I suppose) then the RB boys will need to pedal well in S1 and S3 to get pole.

In the race, of course, the RB being able to run away in S2 will protect them from attack in S3. Not sure that, even if the MP4 was as fast in T8 as the RB, that the MP4 could drive closely enough to make use of the 'straight' that follows to attack the RB (although the MP4 seems to have very good front end grip which might help them stay closer than others in the long turn).

Qualifying should be quite interesting. I reckon there is some sandbagging going on by a couple of teams but tomorrow will show if that's really the case.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

roost89
roost89

mx_tifosi wrote:Roost89, at least read the last few pages! :wink:

Note: I just cleaned up this thread by removing the Monaco/Hill/Schumacher discussion. It doesn't belong here so I moved it over to the Monaco GP thread where it's more relevant. Beating a dead horse in the current GP thread isn't welcomed.
Apologies Mx. I should've done but with the monaco duel I glazed over.
I did have a look at the news sites for info, but they just stated that it was changed (didn't say for what race).

Anyway:
I think it will be interesting to see how the recently F-ducted teams top speed compare to previous races, if a comparison is do-able. Catalunya vs Istanbul possibly? Also interesting to see how many use the tool later in the weekend, like the race and quali.

I'm also impressed by Renaults improvements to their car. They seem to be getting them out pretty quickly. I do, however, echo Kubica's comments on not rating them highly for repeating their Monaco performance later this weekend. Also impressed with the Force India teams improvements, I expect them to run reasonably well here.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

segedunum
segedunum

Just_a_fan wrote:Yes, the RB is ~4/10ths faster in S2 but over a lap the MP4 is ~1/10th faster. We'll need to wait for Q3 tomorrow (assuming both make it that far) to see how much the RB has in reserve because if those times are representative of outright pace (and that's not very likely I suppose).....
I don't think it is likely. Everyone has said something similar on the Friday of every race this season and it's never worked out that way. I actually think Red Bull play some sort of game on Fraiday where they see how much fuel they can put into the car whilst being level or even ahead of everybody else. Fair play to them, because they can. If Red Bull weren't carrying quite a bit more fuel then I would have expected to see them be much faster in sector 3 given they showed good mechanical grip in Monaco and it should show up in the slower corners. If they really are four tenths ahead in sector two whilst carrying more fuel then it all looks a bit hopeless.

Whatever though, I think we can say that the McLaren is closest right now. What is happening at Ferrari I have no idea. I have a funny feeling about Jenson for this race though, and tyres will be important. The loads going through that Red Bull might be unmanageable.

PlatinumZealot

My prediction is RedBul 0.8 seconds ahead again in Q3. they can't fool me this time!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN