British GP 2010 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: British GP 2010 - Silverstone

alvinkhorfire wrote:Sorry guys, off topic a bit.

Why would they relocate the pit straight of the track starting from next year?
1. The pits need updating - the facilities are a bit tired now.
2. They need to have pits available for support races (these currently use tents in the car park!)
3. The new location is the best place for a new pits because it has a nice slow corner for the pit entry to feed off from.
4. The run down to the new Village complex will mean that the opening lap will have a slow corner early on - the existing start feeds into one of the fastest series of corners on the calendar (Copse to Maggotts/Becketts) which isn't great for "first corner" action.

Just my thoughts on it...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

raceman

Welcome to FP1!

Village section of the new revised track seems to give some problems as some drivers had moments there, notably Schumacher suffering same problem on two successive laps!

Currently Webber first with 1m33.905s.

raceman

Silverstone FP1 over with results:

Vettel 1:32.280
Hamilton 1:32.714
Kubica 1:32.725

..... alongside Webber, Sutil, Rosberg, Hulkenberg, Button, Schumacher, and Barichello in top 10.

See full results here.

timbo
timbo

Abbey is cool!
I am surprised that the huge bump that was a major PITA in rFactor track is actually there.

Blackout

PITA ?

Poleman

Pain In The Ass

Richard
Richard

Blackout wrote:PITA ?
Urban Dictionary to the rescue - an invaluable resource for old fogies like me!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PITA

Richard
Richard

This sounds awesome, I wonder if it will be available on the FOM site as well? ...
BBC F1 introduces driver tracker
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson ... track.html

We will be adding to the selection of video feeds available to UK users on the website a graphic showing the live location of all the cars on the track during the race.

The animation, which will be selectable in the video section at the top of the F1 live page, is provided by Formula 1 Management (FOM) - who call it a driver tracker - and we hope it will prove a nice complement to the rest of the BBC's F1 coverage.

The best use of it is probably in addition to the TV coverage as a way to better understand the race. It could be a huge help, for example, in the pit-stop period, when the TV coverage does not always show whether a driver emerges from his stop ahead or behind a rival. The driver tracker will show you all this live.

Blackout

richard_leeds wrote:
Blackout wrote:PITA ?
Urban Dictionary to the rescue - an invaluable resource for old fogies like me!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=PITA
ah. thx :lol:

Pandamasque

timbo wrote:Abbey is cool!
I am surprised that the huge bump that was a major PITA in rFactor track is actually there.
Which version are you using? MMG or the earlier one?

Richard
Richard

There have been a few off road excursions at Maggots & Becketts (3 & 4). Most notably Hamilton off twice in 4 laps. Rear end just snapped out on him. Anthony Davidson thinks the wind is destabilising the cars.

Also a factoid from Davidson - there are shrouds next to the pedals so the driver's foot don't slide off under the lateral g-forces.

Richard
Richard

Here's a nice new detail - they are doing practice safety car laps after FP2. Gives the guys a chance to get a feel for how fast they can go.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

Looks like McLaren are struggling to get heat into them tyres?!

djos

Despite him missing the end end of the session due to an electrical gremlin, Webber Brained everyone in FP2 by 4/10ths (Nando) and 6/10ths (Boy Wonder)! =D>
"In downforce we trust"

ringo

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

I was wondering why there were so low in the pecking order myself.
Ferrari are up the top now.
For Sure!!