British GP 2010 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
timbo
timbo

Re: British GP 2010 - Silverstone

Pandamasque wrote:
timbo wrote:Abbey is cool!
I am surprised that the huge bump that was a major PITA in rFactor track is actually there.
Which version are you using? MMG or the earlier one?
Dunno. I played it only once last week and haven't time to look into it later.
I think it was very early version. Basically just a road with nothing else.

vall
vall

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

ringo wrote:I was wondering why there were so low in the pecking order myself.
Ferrari are up the top now.
it is still Friday....

jddh1

How I want this race to finish:

1st: Alonso 25 pts
2nd: Webber 18 pts
3rd: Massa 15 pts
4th: Vettel 12 pts
7th: Button 6 pts
10th: Hamilton 1 pt

Post GB GP Drivers Standings:
(If the above happens)

1st: Hammy 128 pts
2nd: Button 127 pts
3rd: Vettel 127 pts
4th: Alonso 123 pts
5th: Webber 121 pts

Isn't that juicy? Someone call Bernie and tell him to make it happen.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

I want the following to happen:

P1 : Vettel
P2 : Webber
P3 : Alonso
P4 : Hamilton
P5 : Button

Then with 4 laps to go, I see Webber making a move on Vettel, crashing into him sending them both off the track.

As a result the safety car is called out, which Hamilton overtakes. As a result Alonso is that mad, he goes into the pits and has a paddy leaving Hammy and Button P1 + P2!

donskar
donskar

Surprisingly, according to Autosport, most drivers are cool to negative about the new layout. Seems good to me, but I don't have to drive it!

Looking forward to a good race, sans rain and safety cars.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

segedunum
segedunum

I'll be very surprised if this is anything other than a Red Bull pole position and win. The stability of the car in high speed corners over bumps is astonishing and you can visibly see the difference internally and externally versus the McLaren and Ferrari. The McLaren seemed to handle very poorly today.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

The MotoGP race was poor. There wasn't much overtaking and usually the overtaking comes in truck loads in MotoGP. There also seems to be a bit of unevenness in the track where the old tarmac meets the new stuff. The changes have made it worse if anything.

forty-two

jddh1 wrote: Isn't that juicy? Someone call Bernie and tell him to make it happen.
Bernie has his spies everywhere, they would have read your post before it left your computer! :twisted:
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

myurr
myurr

segedunum wrote:I'll be very surprised if this is anything other than a Red Bull pole position and win. The stability of the car in high speed corners over bumps is astonishing and you can visibly see the difference internally and externally versus the McLaren and Ferrari. The McLaren seemed to handle very poorly today.
Wow segedunum beating up on McLaren again.... they've released pretty much a B car today with massive changes to the entire package and you wonder why they're having to relearn how to set up the car? The McLaren wasn't the only one that was struggling and Vettel didn't look all that comfortable either and Webber had some reliability issues.

Agree that Red Bull are likely to be the team to beat here, but once McLaren hone in on the correct setup on the car then they'll be running them close, and are likely to get stronger and stronger over the next few races as they refine their package and get the most out of the new exhaust system.

godlameroso

The same can be said of ferrari, I think we'll see an inverted repeat of Bahrain, where Webber will get pole but develop a gremlin and Massa cruises from second to victory lane
Saishū kōnā

ringo

I agree, especially since this track has a bumpy new section like bahrain. Race could turn out exactly the same.
For Sure!!

segedunum
segedunum

myurr wrote:Wow segedunum beating up on McLaren again.... they've released pretty much a B car today with massive changes to the entire package and you wonder why they're having to relearn how to set up the car?
I'm not really specifically mentioning McLaren, but they are where they are I'm afraid and I'm not terribly interested in what they're having to relearn. They're doing that because they're behind, that's the bottom line.

The difference between the stability of the McLaren and the Red Bull through high speed corners, especially where there are bumps, is night and day. That's just a visual. For some reason the McLarens have always been bad over bumps this season and their stability under braking at Turkey was startling. A straight line speed advantage isn't always going to bring them back into play.
Agree that Red Bull are likely to be the team to beat here, but once McLaren hone in on the correct setup on the car then they'll be running them close, and are likely to get stronger and stronger over the next few races as they refine their package and get the most out of the new exhaust system.
This is going to take many, many races to perfect and it isn't a set up issue. The RB6 is a far more complex machine aerodynamically than anyone thought and that is what everyone is having to copy. All the talk of gigantic diffusers with large holes in them has fallen by the wayside.

It's a question of how quickly McLaren and others can catch up in their lack of usable downforce versus how quickly Red Bull can get to grips on the one area in straight line speed where they're short and how sensible everyone has been in where they've put their effort. Is it easier to copy a whole back end downforce and exhaust system or an F-duct? :wink:

donskar
donskar

segedunum wrote:I'll be very surprised if this is anything other than a Red Bull pole position and win. The stability of the car in high speed corners over bumps is astonishing and you can visibly see the difference internally and externally versus the McLaren and Ferrari. The McLaren seemed to handle very poorly today.
You could be right, but I have great respect for McLaren's ability to develop/tune their car. They'll do much better Saturday. And Ferrari should continue to progress.

Webber will be VERY motivated to beat Vettel in Vettel's "bad" car.
1 - Webber
2 - Alonso
3 - Hamilton
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

segedunum
segedunum

I'm sceptical of other teams being able to simply bolt these exhaust systems on to their cars. The exhaust flows are hellishly unpredictable to manage and predict and I'll be very surprised if this hasn't come from years of research as soon as Adrian Newey joined Red Bull. This is very firmly Newey's pet project and I suspect other teams haven't gone for this approach over the years because they didn't want to face what was necessary.

Afterburner

Why didn't they repaved the new section of the track? They saw how bumpy it was when motogp raced there and they didn't changed it, at least they could kept the old layout, that would be a good call about concerning safety.