Is South Korean GP cancelled? Who would replace it?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mkw0101
mkw0101

Is South Korean GP cancelled? Who would replace it?

I have checked many F1 websites including F1Technical.com and I have read that South Korean GP is going to be cancelled for this season.
This is all because of political affairs with crazed lunatic North Korean dictators. It will not be safe for F1 to be when war will break (I hope war will not happen). Bernie E. even said that no one in F1 have booked a hotel and flights to South Korea but other races are good to go.

Let me know if anything has changed.

When money overpowers you, you will lose your values and principles.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 22 Jun 2010, 07:31, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edited title

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Is South Korean GP cancelled?

I don't want to call you a liar, but... if you check our home page their is an article stating that the Korean circuit is scheduled for completion in July, months ahead of the race date in October.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/14998

Whether or not "the war" will interrupt is another matter altogether. :roll:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

WhiteBlue

Except for force majeure to occur one has to assume that the race will go ahead.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

jon-mullen

No really, though, I'm thinking this GP isn't happening and honestly it'll be nice to see Bernie get embarrassed for being so greedy and so apathetic to the demands of the fans.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 18 Jun 2010, 06:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed video.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

I read a rumour a couple weeks ago that there is a back-up plan if the circuit is not complete. I don't know how true this is, but Magny Cours may be used if the South Korean GP doesn't go ahead.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/159705/1/m ... grade.html
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/160408/1/d ... _prix.html

I guess this may be the same for if the political situation worsens. I would imaging that the teams might be a bit nervous.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Im gonna put a very decent alternitive here, one that would probably, without looking at the tracks shedule for the remainder of 2010, fit in better than Magney Cours. Fuji in Japan is up to spec, and whilst the cars are out in Japan, give them a second race, call it the Pacific GP or something else.

Or if you are wanting a track thats in Europe thats up to spec, and will be popular to go back to, Imola. The only problem is that if you take out the cars and teams to Singapore and Japan, it would make better sence to have a race out that way from a Logistical point of view.

I think the Korean War is a good while away, but you never know how fast something could happen in such a volitile region of the world.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Hmmmm Magny Cours fair enough, but surely Portugal needs to stage a race too!
Spain has 2 italy has 2 and Portugal none.
Yes the old Estoril would be welcomed, but I would settle for the undulating Portimao track in the Algarve, what a venue that would be for F1!
More could have been done.
David Purley

andrew
andrew

Estoril and Fuji are good, but Imola is better.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Nah, Imola has history, but as a track it was neutered....sadly

Check this out with a soundtrack that will make your ear melt with glee!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1TFa_h_ ... re=related[/youtube]
More could have been done.
David Purley

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Nurburgring or even Paul Ricard would be fun.

I feel that it souldnt be in Europe, id vote for Fuji for the ideal track.

The hard thing to do is to find a track thats up to spec for F1, somewhere we know that will be fun to go to. And from my point of view, id put Fuji back to back with Suzuka as 2008 at Fuji was an entertaining race for me.

Going to do the Singapore/Japan loop would be pointless to come back to Europe in October, theres not a track in Europe that time of year that would be sufficently good enough, maybes thats why Magney Cours is mentioned, as they could be.

Paul

Crazy Japanese fans and commentators deserve a second race. :D

hecti
hecti

A1 ring!!

Shrek
Shrek

I just thought that what if they could have an exhibition (non points) race on a flat oval (not neccessarily USA) IF this race gets cancelled
Spencer

andrew
andrew

^^I like the idea of a non-championship race on an other track. However the teams will never go for it. The race to win points and finish as high up in the championship as they can. The more points they score, the more cash Bernie gives them at the end of the year. A non-championship race would be good but I would imagine that the teams would probably view it as not worth bothering with sadly.

aral
aral

hecti wrote:A1 ring!!
A1 ring is in a mess at present. Red Bull own it and are to redevelop it for F1 use.