Talking to a turbo expert

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Re: Talking to a turbo expert

WhiteBlue wrote:
Tommy Cookers wrote:you have again unfortunately caught an early version of my post. 27% BTE on a rich mixture corresponds to 29.5 or 30% on a near-stoichiometric mixture (but less power) IMO
Realistically those PFI engines never run lean in racing conditions. They are nearly always on full throttle or completely off the throttle. Lean running may be less than 5% so it is negligible for our consideration.
I had in mind general race running
the Honda paper seems to agree with me, it shows 12% gain in BTE going from 18% rich to stoichiometric
this is what the endurance versions of the NA F1 engines did (more or less)
Honda ran only 2% rich throughout 1988 F1 season
a NA V8 or V10 should this way manage 30% best power BTE IMO

I now accept the 32% best power BTE for the Honda (I was not using the correct rather low calorific value/kg for the 84% Toluene fuel used)

WhiteBlue

Tommy Cookers wrote:a NA V8 or V10 should this way manage 30% best power BTE IMO
The V10 and V8s of the early nineties were usually having smaller fuel capacities than the V12s. But they did not have less than 200 L IMO. I would logically place them somewhere between modern V8 (29%) and the old V12 (26%) when you compare race conditions. I do not have the data to support that theory other than the fuel tank sizes which are pretty well known. With no refuelling before 1994 the fuel caps give a pretty good clue to the race consumption. Check for the old thread dealing with fuel caps of 1991. You will generally find 200-220L with one single exception of 190L. That team probably had a low downforce setup combined with a weak engine.

BTW do we have any information on current fuel tank sizes? It would give an interesting clue.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

the Tipo 159 Alfa Romeos that won everything in 1951 ......

had 2 stage Roots type supercharging to pressures impossible without huge charge cooling from intentionally over-rich mixture
(fuel 100% methanol @ 20 MJ/kg)
power c 400 bhp .. mpg less than 1
up to 3 fuel stops in 500 km race, tankage (including engine bay tank under exhaust manifold) 68 ? UK gallons
about 1 ton of fuel
an efficiency of about 10% !!
EDIT some sources give 1.7 mpg(US gallon?) ........ efficiency 15% (or 17%) ?
also reminded of very late exhaust valve closure for internal cooling via fresh charge, a '5th stroke' almost

further off thread, if you can find a Tipo 160 drawing etc somewhere on Google it's well worth doing
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 07 Nov 2012, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteBlue

Tommy Cookers wrote:an efficiency of about 10% !!
Pretty dismal compared to modern standards where new engines are pushing 40%. But in those days there were few privileged car owners in the global village and fuel was pennies per liter. Today we have one hundred times the car density and the fuel prices have also grown to hundred times the price of 1951. Different economy and ecology. WE must be concerned with sustainability while then it was all about finding more power. Some F1 engines at that time had just 260 hp. Today the kids in F3 get almost the same power.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

olefud
olefud

WhiteBlue wrote:
Pretty dismal compared to modern standards where new engines are pushing 40%. But in those days there were few privileged car owners in the global village and fuel was pennies per liter. Today we have one hundred times the car density and the fuel prices have also grown to hundred times the price of 1951. Different economy and ecology. WE must be concerned with sustainability while then it was all about finding more power. Some F1 engines at that time had just 260 hp. Today the kids in F3 get almost the same power.
The technology of the Typo158/159 is basically 1937 with HP topping out over the years at about 300.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

olefud wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
The technology of the Typo158/159 is basically 1937 with HP topping out over the years at about 300.
I think the 159 went to super-rich 100% Methanol as the only way to boost the power (the huge vapourisation charge cooling allowed the superchargers to develop pressures impossible otherwise)
380 hp with 400 hp overrevving/panic by end of 1951
the efficiency suggests they were throwing away more than half the fuel IMO

the engine had the traditional 2 valve hemi head with super-big valves extending beyond the cylinder (plan view) I think, only possible with integral head/cylinder
99.9% of historians have ignored this (why Europe had 2 valve as standard in GPs for 40 years, even after integral construction abandoned)

olefud
olefud

2 vs. 4-valves may have had other considerations. It’s difficult to use 4-valves in a hemi without getting porcupine valve activation. Piston speed limitations reduced the need for greater valve area, and allowed for the control of heavier valves. And of course boosting allowed for greater intake flow with a smaller intake valve to make room for a larger exhaust. Some of the early 3-valve arrangements have the exhaust as the 2-valve end.

I think Cosworth brought everything together for 4-valves with the pent-roof combustion chamber

Edis
Edis

WhiteBlue wrote:Edis, your considerations are certainly useful for an air limited formula but the discussion here was meant for fuel flow limited F1 turbo engines. At least a big part of it. If you check the 2014 rules they do not allow a significant portion of the fuel to be port injected. If memory serves me right it is just 20%. So if you are committed to inject the vast majority of the fuel shortly before TDC you are going to use the most efficient combustion method available to you. And that is spray guided AFAIK. Spray guided combustion achieves a certain amount of stratification by design and the rules leave some head room for even faster injection than we know from todays existing 200 bar systems. They are allowed to use 500 bar. The engines will not go much beyond 10,500 rpm either because they will be fuel starved above that limit.
I cannot answer the question what kind of AFR they will be using at different power levels but I'm confident that they plan to burn leaner than the current crop of air limited engines. The logic of the formula enforces that strategy. As I have said before I'm not working in the field but I can read the rules and I believe that your proposal does not fit the new rules from 2014. So I would be interested to learn what you think will be the injection method for a 2014 project according to your best information.
I haven't said anything about port injection. It's normal practice for direct injected spark ignition engines to inject fuel during the intake stroke at high loads; they do this by injecting the fuel directly into the cylinders without having port injectors.
WhiteBlue wrote:If I read you right you deny that the turbocharged engine will be intrinsically more fuel efficient than a NA engine. I find that hard to believe. If you go back to the example of the Porsche Cayenne V8 engine you will find a discrepancy with your statement. Porsche did not downsize the engine but added a turbocharger in order to raise the power. If you look at the figures they suggest that the turbocharged version is considerably more fuel efficient than the naturally aspired version. This is also what the Garrett expert whose words opened this thread suggest for a road going engine. He said that you turbocharge for better driving experience and fuel efficiency.
When you turbocharge a spark ignition engine it's efficiency will drop slightly, yes. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone with basic engine knowledge, spark ignition engines are after all knock limited. In other words, the first thing you do with an engine when you turbocharge it is lower it's compression ratio and/or reduce spark advance and/or enrich the fuel mixture to avoid knock, all of which will reduce engine efficiency. If it's a passengar car engine you generally don't want to reduce compression ratio more than you need given that this will impact part load efficiency.

As for the turbo expert, he never claimed engine efficiency increase when you turbocharge an engine, what he said was:
"Comparing horsepower-to-horsepower, a turbocharged engine consumes less fuel in day-to-day use, than a non-turbocharged car does."
This is true due to downsizing.

Diesels don't suffer from this problem due to the fact that they are not knock limited.
WhiteBlue wrote:If we look at the last time we had turbos going against NA engines in F1 it certainly looked like the turbos were more fuel efficient than the NAs.
This comparison will say nothing. The V6 turbos had significantly more power, yet a much smaller fuel allocation, so improving fuel consumption was important, otherwise you had a lot of engine power that you couldn't use. The naturally aspiranted engines has a larger fuel allocation, but also a significant power handicap compared to the turbocharged engines. So for these engines saving fuel was of no concern, the lack of power was however. So output had to be maximized, regardless of efficiency.

It can also be interesting to note that horesepower- for-horsepower, the turbocharged engines had slightly slower lap times. At least that was what Brabham concluded, having compared the turbocharged BMW and the NA Cosworth.
WhiteBlue wrote:There is also the indisputable fact that adding a turbocharger will reduce the kinetic and thermal energy level of the exhaust gas at the tail pipe. All other things being equal that necessitates a higher efficiency of the turbocharged engine. The turbo engine can convert that energy difference into useful power that is wasted by the NA engine.
The energy extracted by the turbine does not contribute to the useful output of the engine. Instead the turbine power is used by the compressor to increase charge density. So, the thermal energy extracted from the exhaust is simply cooled off in the charge cooler, or contribute to a higher pre turbine exhaust temperature.
WhiteBlue wrote:I'm not saying that downsizing profits only from turbo charging. There is also the aspect of the improved mechanical efficiency that you describe. Both effects are contributing to the success of downsized engines. It would be wrong IMO to deny any of the two effects their contribution to the efficiency improvement.
Downsizing profits of downsizing, not turbocharging. Please read "Turbocharging the internal combustion engine" by Waton and Janota if you want more info on the subject. Even after thirty years, this book still offers the most in depht coverage of turbocharging, and is commonly used as a reference by people in the field.
WhiteBlue wrote:For another comparison I have researched what BMW did with their 1series 2L diesel engine. They basically sell the same engine in NA, low boost turbo and high boost turbo version.

116d -- 85 kW -- 4.5 L/100km -- 0.0053 L/100km*kW
118d --105 kW -- 4.5 L/100km -- 0.0042 L/100km*kW
120d --130 kW -- 4.7 L/100km -- 0.0036 L/100km*kW

If we set the 120d high boost turbo as 100% base line we find:

120d 100% baseline fuel consumption per power
118d 119% of baseline fuel consumption per power
116d 146% of baseline fuel consumption per power

I think the figures speak for themselves. The same basic engine becomes more powerful the higher the boosting is done. At the same time the mild boost comes without any increase in fuel consumption and the high boost produces massive additional power with very little additional fuel consumption. The logic tells us that the improved power specific fuel consumption is directly related to the size of the turbine that reclaims the boosting energy from the exhaust gas. Although this example is from a diesel engine the energy balance will work similarly in a petrol engine. In a petrol engine it is slightly more difficult because high injection pressures and controlling the ignition and combustion is more of a problem.
Your logic is flawed, the only thing you can tell from those numbers is that the higher output engine is less fuel efficient that the two less powerful engines and that a more powerful engine won't consume that much more fuel than a less powerful one, given that you actually don't use the higher output the engine can produce. Keep in mind here that all engines are doing the same work in the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC).

For arguments sake, lets compare two electric motors using your logic. Both motors produce the 10 kW we need to perform our test, but one offers a maximum output of 50 kW and the other 100 kW. The 50 kW motor consume 11 kW electricity while producing 10 kW and the more powerful motor 12 kW producing the same 10 kW output. Now, should we praise the "improved power specific fuel consumption" of the more powerful motor, or should we realise the fact that the more powerful engine is simply less efficient? Our test will of course tell us nothing how efficient these engines are at a higher load, and that is also the case with the NEDC. In the NEDC a lot of time is spent idling, the maximum rate of acceleration is the equivalent of 0-100 km/h in something like 30 seconds and the highest speed during the test is 120 km/h. Since all engines are tested in the same car, the amount of energy produced by the engines during the test should be the same.

All the BMW diesels are also turbocharged, and since they are diesels they are not affected the same way as gasoline engines. With gasoline, the lower output versions could use a higher compression ratio given the lower boost pressure.

olefud
olefud

Edis wrote: All the BMW diesels are also turbocharged, and since they are diesels they are not affected the same way as gasoline engines. With gasoline, the lower output versions could use a higher compression ratio given the lower boost pressure.
Oddly, diesels sometimes are more efficient with intake throttling –or when turbocharged with lower boost. At low power, the unthrottled air charge can exceed the oxygen requirements to the extent that the combustion temperatures are quenched. Throttling the air to a level sufficient to reach combustion temperature but also supporting a higher combustion temperature enhances efficiency. Modulating the boost pressure can do the same thing without the pumping losses from throttling a NA diesel.

WhiteBlue

Edis, so you are saying with many words that turbo charging has nothing to do with downsizing and has no inherent efficiency advantage. So how would downsizing actually work in your view without turbos? Just keeping the capacity and reducing cylinder count? That engine would have very little left in terms of fuel efficiency advantage. It is obvious that the turbo is necessary to achieve the full down sizing effect. And that in itself confirms the hypothesis that turbo charging has an inherent energetic advantage. The issue becomes even more obvious when you extract the full potential from the exhaust by using higher boost or turbo compounding as the new F1 engines will do. There will be more and more road going GDI engines that will run on high compression ratios coming closer to the diesels all the time. The faster direct injection with higher pressure will see to that.

olefud
olefud

WhiteBlue wrote: There will be more and more road going GDI engines that will run on high compression ratios coming closer to the diesels all the time. The faster direct injection with higher pressure will see to that.
Are you saying that GDI will affect the need for stoichometric fuel/air mixtures? If not, throttling the intake air to proper quantities relative to the fuel charge will result in lower combustion pressures in NA engines, except at WOT.

WhiteBlue

olefud wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote: There will be more and more road going GDI engines that will run on high compression ratios coming closer to the diesels all the time. The faster direct injection with higher pressure will see to that.
Are you saying that GDI will affect the need for stoichometric fuel/air mixtures? If not, throttling the intake air to proper quantities relative to the fuel charge will result in lower combustion pressures in NA engines, except at WOT.
That is not what I'm saying. I say that direct injection will see to it that CR goes higher and higher in spark ignited engines. The main reason being that more engines will have injection in the late compression phase and have the evaporation help suppress knocking. That necessitates ultra fast high pressure injection which is still under development. Even if you look at relatively old concepts like the Chevrolet Gen5 small block you find that it has 11.5:1 That is mainly achieved by direct injection combined with VVT. It was reported that they will not use injectors for spray guided combustion. So there should be an opportunity to go further than 11.5.

I expect that development in motor sport will push the injection systems further up in performance which will enable compression ratios closer to 14 in some years. This is helped by a trend of using turbo charged engines with lower rpm.
Wikipedia wrote:In engines with a 'ping' or 'knock' sensor and an electronic control unit, the CR can be as high as 13:1 (2005 BMW K1200S). In 1981, Jaguar released a cylinder head that allowed up to 14:1 compression; but settled for 12.5:1 in production cars. The cylinder head design was known as the "May Fireball" head; it was developed by a Swiss engineer Michael May. Mazda is in 2012 releasing new petrol engines under the brand name SkyActiv with 14:1 compression ratio, to be used in all Mazda vehicles by 2015.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

WhiteBlue wrote: I say that direct injection will see to it that CR goes higher and higher in spark ignited engines. The main reason being that more engines will have injection in the late compression phase and have the evaporation help suppress knocking.

I expect that development in motor sport will push the injection systems further up in performance which will enable compression ratios closer to 14 in some years. This is helped by a trend of using turbo charged engines with lower rpm.
all fuel evaporation helps suppress knocking, this is not a special attribute of DI
DI allows higher CR because knocking is in part time dependent, late injection tends to deny sufficient time for knocking to develop
EDIT a substantial (but often unrecognised) benefit of DI is that (unlike most port injection and some carburation) the fuel vapour does not displace air (ie during induction), so VE is better
(but with DI there are no benefits of charge cooling to the supercharger)
BTW wasn't injection DI in the 50s and early 60s (Bosch) ?

turbocharging demands lower CRs, lower rpm tends to demand lower CR
(this is why the F1 octane limit established for 54 years has now been waived)
present F1 uses 14:1 CR with less than best road fuel octane
(there is a rpm threshold above which knocking has insufficient time to develop)
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 08 Nov 2012, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

riff_raff
riff_raff

Tommy Cookers wrote:all fuel evaporation helps suppress knocking, this is not a special attribute of DI
DI allows higher CR because knocking is in part time dependent, late injection tends to deny sufficient time for knocking to develop. BTW wasn't injection DI in the 50s and early 60s (Bosch) ? turbocharging demands lower CRs, lower rpm tends to demand lower CR (this is why the F1 octane limit established for 54 years has now been waived)
present F1 uses 14:1 CR with less than best road fuel octane
(there is a rpm threshold above which knocking has insufficient time to develop)
Tommy Cookers,

While your comments about fuel latent heat effects, compression ratios, and detonation in SI engines are generally correct, there are specific instances where things may differ. First, the fuel latent heat effect reduces the tendency to detonate by reducing the initial charge temperature. With turbocharged engines, charge air cooling produces a similar effect. As for detonation in SI engines, it is not entirely time dependent. The autoignition tendency in the chamber end gas mixture is determined by chemical kinetics and heat transfer. Lastly, the BTE of an SI engine can be either improved or reduced by turbocharging. The CR of the engine does not matter as much as the overall cycle pressure ratios.

slider
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

PlatinumZealot

As said by Whiteblue modern day direcrt ignition has so far allow Spark ignition engines to run very high compression ratios.

The new Mazda six has a 14 to 1 compression ratio in both diesel version and petrol version which is astonishing for a street car. http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/05/2014 ... ve-review/
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏