Korean GP 2010 - Yeongam

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WhiteBlue

Korean GP 2010 - Yeongam

Sky Deutschland told us in FP2 at Suzuka that the race will go ahead with 99% certainty.

Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

raymondu999

Re: Korean GP 2010 - Yeongam

I guess the chasing pak will appreciate having 1 more race to be able to catch up in points, but Webber won't be so happy. If Korea goes underway, that is.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

forty-two

Wow, someone other than Andrew managed to create a race thread!

WB caught you sleeping there Andrew!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

forty-two wrote:Wow, someone other than Andrew managed to create a race thread!

WB caught you sleeping there Andrew!
Opening the thread before the race has actually been held is cheating and unethical.

I doubt I would have managed to open this one in the normal fashion imediately after the preceding race as I'll be watching the Japanesse GP in the afternoon. 6am start on a Sunday does not happen for anyone anymore! :lol:

Phail

The track layout looks weird towards the end...and it looks like an upside down number 7.

WhiteBlue

I opened the race thread when the news came that the race will go ahead. I hope all the doomsaying will be forgotten and we will have a nice race. Andrew can have the next thread or even the Russian GP if he feels like it. :wink:
Bernie wrote:They had problems but they have done wonders in the last few weeks. I've been in touch, I've seen photographs and the top layer of the track has been laid. They will pass the inspection. Despite all the doom stories, I think people will be pleasantly surprised. I will be there, the world will be watching and we will have a great race - and it is on, end of story.
Has someone looked up the distance between Yeongam and Suzuka in Google earth? It is very close.

913 km
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Giblet

They can just load the cars onto boats in the pitlane and paddle there.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

godlameroso

It's going to be an interesting battle, a new track and the corners don't really give Red Bull an advantage, McLaren could be very fast here as well as Ferrari. If everything goes ok Hamilton or Button could win. I think this track has the longest straight on the calendar.
Saishū kōnā

univex

From turn 6 to 18 seems to be good for RBR given the amount of medium and high speed corners.
RBR to lock out the front row, just.
However given the long straight at the start they are going to have a hell of a time keeping maccas and ferraris behind off the start. Maccas will be particularly quick off the start, although the ferrari should be just as good down the straights and the best in the breaking and traction in turns 3 & 4.

A bit like SPA IMO. RB's should be quickest, though I can't see them getting passed the maccas and ferrari's

Start of the race LH and FA to pass the Red Bulls. RB will suffer when they get within 1.5 secs of the car in front. The undercut from the new tires will be too much advantage to stay out on the softs and make up the time. Tough race for RB.

spacer

I kinda liked what they did with the close wall at the exit of turn 16... The entire circuit has proper runoff areas at every corner whereas the exit of t16 reminds me somewhat of montreal chicane exits :P . My guess is drivers will be pushing hard there, as a proper exit will give them a speed advantage through t17/18 and onto the first straight. Might see some suspension-killing touché there. Any thoughts on that?

Gerhard Berger

univex wrote:From turn 6 to 18 seems to be good for RBR given the amount of medium and high speed corners.
RBR to lock out the front row, just.
However given the long straight at the start they are going to have a hell of a time keeping maccas and ferraris behind off the start. Maccas will be particularly quick off the start, although the ferrari should be just as good down the straights and the best in the breaking and traction in turns 3 & 4.

A bit like SPA IMO. RB's should be quickest, though I can't see them getting passed the maccas and ferrari's

Start of the race LH and FA to pass the Red Bulls. RB will suffer when they get within 1.5 secs of the car in front. The undercut from the new tires will be too much advantage to stay out on the softs and make up the time. Tough race for RB.
I think it will be very close between the top 3. There's sections of the track which suit each car. The long straights will help Mclaren, there are a number of heavy braking zones which suit the Ferrari, and there are also a number of longer medium speed corners which will suit the Red Bull. If Red Bull do end up behind the Ferraris/Mclarens, they will have a tough time passing them.

Also, Renault could spoil the party for one of the big boys.

WhiteBlue

Gerhard Berger wrote:Renault could spoil the party for one of the big boys.
If their wheels stay on the waggon. :wink:

godlameroso

Actually there is three tricky medium speed left handers only one of which RB6 is faster on, the fast stuff has some camber helping and should be flat out
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87421 Korea is a go. Good news for the title battle, not so good for Mark... The 4 other guys have 3 races to catch up rather than 2 now

I wonder if karun chandhok's run in Korea in an RB5 (or was it RB6?) would've given RB a headstart in terms of setup. Sure it wouldn't be much, but they'd have data from the telemetry, which they could then maybe extrapolate into a simulation, and at least get good data and calculations on optimum wing levels/gear ratios etc?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

The main straight is incredibly long.