McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
nacho
nacho

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Yeah looks like they have a bigger upper flap on the rear wing than most. Is it reasonable to expect that this might be optimised for different circuits too?

segedunum
segedunum

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 21 Feb 2011, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: MP4-18 in the MP4-18 thread please

segedunum
segedunum

Diesel wrote:So from zero evidence you can say McLaren are slow and won't be winning races this year, and from the same amount of evidence you can say Renault look to be midfield?
For starters, that's not what I've said but I'm not going to repeat it. I also don't know how we've got from MP4-18 and 26 comparisons to this nonsense.

Anyway, the car hasn't done the mileage and it's not fast when it's on track from everything we've seen. I'm afraid there is not zero evidence but, as usual, people don't like what's in front of them. What do I have to do? Post a message so long with side-by-side comparisons of testing lap times and mileage that no one will read it and where it takes the thread miles off-topic?

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 09 Mar 2011, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed second quoted post and response to it.

myurr
myurr

Seg, as I said in a PM to you I have nothing against you personally, and you occasionally have a point, but as usual you cover it in so much arrogant and antagonistic crud that it gets totally lost.

Yesterday afternoon and this morning the McLaren has been showing good reliability and pace. Their long run pace looks similar to Ferrari. I'd also say that Webber's long run pace yesterday didn't look that special, although his overall milage was incredible. Comparing his run with Massa, they had broadly equivalent pace over the course of the whole stint but Webber needed to make an extra stop (3 vs 2). We have yet to see the definitive aero packages for any of those three (or the rest of the field), with McLaren at least still running the 2010 front wing.

You predict that Red Bull and Renault will walk off in to the sunset. I predict that Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren will all be pretty close at the beginning of the year, with Red Bull holding an advantage in qualifying but nothing like last year, and Ferrari holding the advantage in the race. McLaren will close any gap to those two by the European races as I believe their car is less optimised and has more potential for development, being the newer revolutionary rather than evolutionary design. I predict that McLaren will have the strongest mid season but that the other two will close up again in the latter stages leading to another close finale.

I think that Renault and possibly Williams will be fighting it out for best of the rest, with the rest of the mid-field pack being a lot closer. Mercedes will struggle at the start but will come good a few races in and close on Renault. Williams will probably drop back a bit as the season wears on.

Lotus will be best of the 'new' teams and will start mixing it with the back half of the mid-field. Virgin and HRT will stay stuck at the back, especially as I think Torro Rosso look fairly handy so should move forward from their position last year.

So seg, I've given a concrete prediction of what I think will happen. Your turn to put your money where your mouth is instead of just slagging off every car except the Red Bull and Renault.

FW17

Absolute mismanagement in the technical front last year with the debut of the blown diffuser and these guys are still to learn. Mclaren this test season have been testing installing and reinstalling parts. How can a team with a billion dollar facility behind them come to a track and run comparison of critical systems. Pick one and stick with it.
First this
Then this (absolute shambles of F1 packaging)
Then this again!!!

Before testing started everyone here was just yapping about the Mclaren simulator, and how accurate a tyre model they had created. Then the great drivers have this to say
“It’s very strange. At the start of the race you try to preserve tyres and today I drove a bit easier on my first long run, but the tyres went away.

“There was nothing I could do in the second run, I tried to look after them even more but I was going so slow. It’s not particularly exciting, but they lasted a bit longer. I don’t know what that’s going to be like in a race though.”

“OK, not too bad” but added: “It’s difficult to know how much is the tyres and how much is the car.

“The tyres are very difficult to use this year. When we come to Barcelona, it’s even more important than it was the last two tests.”

Now this team is counting on Bahrain GP to be postponed so that they will have some additional test days =D> =D> =D> Champions!!
“I hope its not the case. But the more time we have, the better it is for us. I won’t complain if we have a bit more time given to us.”
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 09 Mar 2011, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed useless ranting.

wesley123
wesley123

An good simulation tire model doesnt make them last longer...

It is well known that these Pirellis dont last that long, so why you use that as an excuseto b*tch on McLaren is a good question.

Also, most teams prefer another test, so nothing interresting here either.

And apart from that The team also runs these different exhausts back to back in every test right now so nothing new there either, it is just the same as Mercedes running the rear wings back to back so I do not see the problem here either.

All I can say here is that you are way behind...
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

JB2011
JB2011

^ They are lacking mileage though and admit that they can't currently do a race distance due to reliability.

Edit: Obviously I realise they are a test down to the others and it has radical features.

forty-two

Is it just me, or is there something unusual about the lower wishbone of the McLaren's rear end?

Looks like they've got two sets of lower wishbones, packaged very close together, and then a normal upper wishbone. Is this unique?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

wesley123
wesley123

The upper one is the drive shaft

kalinka
kalinka

EDIT > WilliamsF1!
As I mentioned before, I THINK ( not know ) that teams are testing their blown diffusers, cooling outlets and exhaust configs, because there is no exact simulation technique for such a complex heat generating system as an F1 car. They simlpy does not know for sure is something far-enough or strong-enough or shielded enough from heat. You can't simulate a runnig F1 car in laboratory. I think they simply can't simulate how different configurations would behave on real track. Simply because the real tests are forbidden as you know. They can run the engine on dyno, they can calculate things, but it's not that. Even your beloved RBR were experimenting with ugly huge opening on their car. They must wait to official test sessions to prove a cooling system, and it's true for all teams, no matter how much money they have.
If we follow your idea, then why to test at all? Run it on the superb RB simulator, ant that's it, you're ready to race!? Unfortunately it's not the case. Indeed all teams are experimenting out there, and checking things with temp stickers and pitot-arrays.
Last edited by kalinka on 21 Feb 2011, 16:09, edited 2 times in total.

747heavy

forty-two wrote: Looks like they've got two sets of lower wishbones, packaged very close together, and then a normal upper wishbone. Is this unique?
the link in the middle behind the drive shaft could be a toe-link.

similar layout on an older F1 car can be seen here and here
Last edited by 747heavy on 21 Feb 2011, 16:32, edited 2 times in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

was williamsf1 being serious with those two identical posts?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

wesley123 wrote:The upper one is the drive shaft
The drive shaft is the copper coloured one behind it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

copperkipper1
copperkipper1

"Mercedes has poor traction, McLaren looks shocking as if on cold tyres, Red Bull+Ferrari+Renault Lotus Lada+Williams all pounding round"

Not looking great :(
At the end of the day if any team are gonna make a bad car good then it's McLaren :D

wesley123
wesley123

Owen.C93 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:The upper one is the drive shaft
The drive shaft is the copper coloured one behind it.
Damn you're right, it looked like it was an extension of the drive shaft making it a wing profile