McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SiLo

Re: McLaren Mercedes MP4-26

I wonder if they still had ideas left over from 2009 with the KERS, like where they can put it or something along those lines. But all this hype has got me intrigued, I just hope it lives up to all the hype this time!
Felipe Baby!

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

akshat21 wrote:
Marco Alves wrote:Lewis Hamilton gets a feel for MP4-26's steering during a seat-fit last December.

http://twitpic.com/3nhaew
Wonder what that switch is for???
God question, it was nor there last sesan, maybe new rear wing sisteam.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Marco Alves wrote:
akshat21 wrote:
Marco Alves wrote:Lewis Hamilton gets a feel for MP4-26's steering during a seat-fit last December.

http://twitpic.com/3nhaew
Wonder what that switch is for???
God question, it was nor there last sesan, maybe new rear wing sisteam.
Probably is for the start commands, as for the first 90 seconds the car is locked down to those settings.

Altho it may be a sprung non latching switch that they are using for their KERS activation. Push that button with your index finger and you can still change gear easily enough.

mith

I'm not the expert here, but it looks like uncomfortable place to manipulate very often, so for me it being the movable rear flap switch is rather unlikely.

wesley123
wesley123

maybe some sort of device that you can activate after your first and only pit stop? We know mechanics lowered the Red Bull and Ferrari cars, would be far quicker to be able to do that on board
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Holm86

wesley123 wrote:maybe some sort of device that you can activate after your first and only pit stop? We know mechanics lowered the Red Bull and Ferrari cars, would be far quicker to be able to do that on board

Im quite sure that would be illegal.

Im also quite sure that switch was there on the MP4-25 steering wheel aswell ....

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

The MP4-24's KERS button was placed behind the steering wheel in one of the corners. So its likely to be that, if not maybe the rear wing.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Blackout

wesley123 wrote:We know mechanics lowered the Red Bull and Ferrari cars, would be far quicker to be able to do that on board
Have we any proofs ? photos for example ?

Byronrhys

MP4-25 steering wheel.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wesley123
wesley123

Blackout wrote:
wesley123 wrote:We know mechanics lowered the Red Bull and Ferrari cars, would be far quicker to be able to do that on board
Have we any proofs ? photos for example ?
How can you ever make pics of cars getting lowered?

As far as I know those 2 teams did that at the pit stops to ensure a more optimal ride height with lower fuel loads

@byronrhys; The switch is there too

Richard
Richard

wesley123 wrote: As far as I know those 2 teams did that at the pit stops to ensure a more optimal ride height with lower fuel loads
Please do tell more. It was speculated pre-season, but I thought none of the teams implemented it.

wesley123
wesley123

Well I thought to have read from it, i thought they implemented it in season, but now im getting confused lol. From what I know the TF110 would implement a similair system

Florio
Florio

wesley123 wrote:maybe some sort of device that you can activate after your first and only pit stop? We know mechanics lowered the Red Bull and Ferrari cars, would be far quicker to be able to do that on board
I thought this device that lowered the ride heights all just turned out to be the EBD?

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

Byronrhys wrote:MP4-25 steering wheel.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Ok it was there last season, i was wrong, so it is a system already existing.

borgulator
borgulator

does any 1 know if the mp4 26 will be black and red instead of silver and red?