McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
i70q7m7ghw

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Blah blah blah. The car was easily second quickest all year, and at some races it was quicker than the Red Bull. No single component makes a car quick, the Red Bull is a testament to that fact. Therefore, saying the blown diffuser is what saved the car is utter codswallop. The poor performance of the car in winter testing could have been due to an experimental exhaust system that was failing, but as it's testing, we will never know.

In short, the car was quick, you were wrong, let's look forward to 2012 and you ripping chunks out of next year's car too :D

shamikaze

ringo wrote: You have demonstrated that your level on analysis is not at the resolution that would allow you to understand my comment.

The overall car is better, but there is a lot of it in the body of the car, a lot.

The other things like flex wings etc. are too dificult to put a value on, and are less objective.
A side pod doesn't move and it is what it appears to be in all instances. Therefore it is easier to evaluate. It's tempting to reveal why, just to alleviate your befuddlement, but i promise not to until next year.

All i can say it's more than eyeballing. Some serious theory is involved.
Well, ringo, then bring us all up to you level of understanding and analysis. You've been bashign other's for being vague o explaining theories and possibilities to death and you dismissed them because of lack of hard-evidence (i.e. numbers). So I do hope when you finally come out of the closet with your wisdom, you bring facts along as well.

Im hoping to see the bright light you promise to bring and counting on it not to be a dimmed LED in a dark night with no moon.

ringo

Bashed is too strong a word. Never bashed a soul.
For Sure!!

MIKEY_!

IMO the back of this car was not tight enough. The U-pods meant good flow to the beam wing but the extra side pod bulk required low down reduced the flow to the diffuser too much. I also recall reading that the gearbox was higher than was ideal so they could fit the experimental exhausts used in testing. The poor flow to the diffuser theory is backed up by the poor performance at Silverstone. The RB7 had better flow anyway so they weren't as badly hurt and Ferrari apparently weren't using hot blowing as much.

Of course there are a whole range of smaller things (or just less obvious ones) that have contributed to this car being slower (most of the time) than the RB7.

munudeges

I'm not entirely sure what I was wrong about........ Whatever, it is certainly possible to look at where this car's shortcomings were. As for the nugget of hope that it was, on occasion, faster than the Red Bull, it is a false one. Red Bull's problem was that they had hit the limits of the Pirelli tyres.

MIKEY_!

You've got to work with the tires. Failure to do so is the same as not being as quick in another area.

Javert

Many engineers that worked on this car (Rupad Darekar, Ioannis Veloudis, Lawrence Hodge, Luca Furbatto, John Iley) have gone :mrgreen:

I don't think McL is so poor financially, so could I read this as a punishment for poor chassis? :mrgreen:

Richard

ringo wrote:It's tempting to reveal why, just to alleviate your befuddlement, but i promise not to until next year.

2012 has arrived ......

munudeges

MIKEY_! wrote:You've got to work with the tires. Failure to do so is the same as not being as quick in another area.
It was impossible for them to work with the tyres any more. They were saturated. Not the same thing.

Just_a_fan

richard_leeds wrote:
ringo wrote:It's tempting to reveal why, just to alleviate your befuddlement, but i promise not to until next year.

2012 has arrived ......
Indeed. "Put up or shut up" would appear to apply from here on :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Richard

There is already another thread about the fan exhaust. I've moved the posts to the same place

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12887