McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
delacf

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

feynman wrote:Wheelbase counts, but it needs to take its place alongside all the other (more) significant factors. It's a package.
The reason it seems to get so much, too much, attention, is that it is the most obvious, and easily regarded difference between cars ... but I don't think obvious should ever be confused for significant, especially not in the highly nuanced world of F1 vehicle dynamics.
This says it all. You´ve won a few virtual particles :mrgreen: .

Regards,

delacf

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Just a thought - could Mclaren be preparing a passive fduct system for the rear beam wing? Looking at the car, the extra duct above the airbox looks like it's for more than just cooling. I also notice that there's a rather large duct that is currently coming out the rear of the engine cover. Could they tune the fluidic switch so it diverts the air to the rear wing only at a certain speed? I'm a bit naive about this sort of thing but wondered if someone on here might be able to help.

wesley123
wesley123

and how wwould they do thay? blowing the center 15cm might be possible by using the rear wing pillar as tubing but then, how you let the driver interact with it?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

wesley123 wrote:and how would they do thay? blowing the center 15cm might be possible by using the rear wing pillar as tubing but then, how you let the driver interact with it?
Not sure. But what if you built your ARW so the mechanics of it somehow opened a channel allowing air through to stall the beam wing when the system is activated? It's probably be quite a complex system to make and I'm not sure it'd be legal but if it did work you'd get two for the price of one...

EDIT: Really weird, I just spotted someone on Autosport had exactly the same idea as me. I wonder if we're on to something.

adrianjordan

You suggested it was passive - so the driver wouldn't be involved in the system...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Rino

Pup
Pup

Being a bit cheeky, isn't he? I'm expecting something similar to what Virgin showed today.

ell66
ell66

Pup wrote:Being a bit cheeky, isn't he? I'm expecting something similar to what Virgin showed today.
how is he being cheeky? i dont see it.

SiLo

Really I want then to run a different set up for the last test, which isn't the one they are going to use, then go for glory and run really fast times to make everyone think that what they are doing has gained them some sort of huge benefit.

Then go back to the original idea. Yay for mind games.
Felipe Baby!

liveforf1
liveforf1

Hey guys appreciate the comments on the wheelbase issue.
I think though when dealing with f1 where everything is pretty much maximized and everyone has got there balnces right as with Ferrari and Red Bull then wheel base could be an issue.
This year's car does look to be more compact and more tightly packaged in the rear. I do remember Adrian Newey talking about the advantages of the pull rod rear in terms of packaging and lowering center of mass. How significant a change is McLaren's switch to this configuration? :D

scuderiafan

Where are the exhausts now?
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

gridwalker
gridwalker

They haven't revealed that yet : the engine and many of the other components at the launch were plastic dummies, including the exhausts ...

They have stated that there are several exhaust configurations that they plan to test, however McLaren have also said that none of them are at the front ... the jury is out regarding whether this is just corporate BS.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

ringo

Any videos of the running of the new car?

I think they may put the exhausts similar to virgin's exhausts.
For Sure!!

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

I also thought about a solution like Virgin's before when I saw that open area, although I think there may be a greater advantage to blowing over a larger surface area. Maybe McLaren intends to run a shorter exhaust and exit them right at the back of the sidepod and low down. This would allow them to further energize the flow coming through the channel of the sidepod as well as blow through the starter hole and over the floor of the diffuser (a little bit of red bull, some of ferrari, and some of virgin and their own solution) by having the extra open area by integrating the beam wing, utilizing exhaust for the L sidepod flow, and the exit from the second air intake

forty-two

richard_leeds wrote: Didn't realise Button is a leftie
Me neither! I was a bit surprised TBH
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?