McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
myurr
myurr

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

timbo wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Could the slot by the splitter be for KERS cooling?

As KERS is under the engine, it may makes sense to add cooling from under the car?
Most likely.
Given their sidepod construction they probably had to relocate many electrical systems.
I can see that being the case, but why would they use a metal tube like that rather than just running a carbon fibre duct back to the area they need it?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Depends,

I think you can manipulate the flow better with a tube.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Anyone else think the edge of the tea-tray is very close to the ground?

Perhaps McLaren are using a flexible side structure to allow sealing of this area whilst still passing the load/deflection test...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

vall
vall

myurr wrote:Wow... all I can say is thank the maker that we have McLaren and Renault on the grid, willing to try something different. So many trick devices and ideas on that car, should generate a lot of column inches. Really hope one of them wins this year, even if just to show Ferrari and Red Bull that being conservative isn't the way to go.
they have to play the catch up game,no? They have to try something different otherwise they will be 1sec off the pace again.

Apart from the L-shaped sidepods, what is so exciting about the 26? I have had this talk last year, about the innovative, having much room for development McLaren, which at th eend turned out to be nothing special. I have the feeling it will be the same thin year

Hangaku

Why does everyone assume innovation = no room for development?

Last year the Red Bull was very innovative, and yet they stayed ahead of the game.

To assume that McLaren have been naive, is itself naive. They've been in the game long enough...
Yer.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

People, exhausts are not at the front, so stop this stupid labeling of every forward facing hole as the exhausts.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Where has that weird complex bit gone that was on the corner of the sidepod?

Chalke
Chalke

timbo wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Could the slot by the splitter be for KERS cooling?

As KERS is under the engine, it may makes sense to add cooling from under the car?
Most likely.
Given their sidepod construction they probably had to relocate many electrical systems.
Whatever that ducting on the splitter is, this interview suggests it's not for cooling KERS - http://www.planetf1.com/news/3373/67223 ... cal-chiefs

"For 2011, KERS [hybrid] is now a single integrated unit that sits within the survival cell, beneath the fuel-tank. In 2009, it was housed in the sidepods. The hybrid's cooling intake sits directly below the main roll-hoop intake.

"And, once again, we've really pushed the car's cooling configuration: we've got a second air intake on the engine cover for gearbox and hydraulic cooling."

raymondu999

Wow. From this angle you can really see how low those sidepod dips are. http://www.flickr.com/photos/f1photos/5433461558/
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

kalinka
kalinka

Deleted by myself. Wrong idea :)

gibells
gibells

This pic def. shows the exhaust, but it seems to be going the toward the front of the car?

Earth

Here is bigger shot, it's really weird

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Click for high res:

I wonder what the slit closest to the tub is cooling?

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

maybe its the exhaust lol

ringo

Earth wrote:Here is bigger shot, it's really weird
they probably have 3 or more different exhaust solutions running.
For Sure!!