McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PNSD
PNSD

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

imightbewrong wrote:Click for high res:

I wonder what the slit closest to the tub is cooling?
I guess KERS.

I would say it was maybe a BL ingestion inlet but it's far too large so my best would be KERS cooling.

volarchico
volarchico

imightbewrong wrote: I wonder what the slit closest to the tub is cooling?
I had the same question from a post a few pages back! Similar to the R31 post about routing "clean" air straight to the back and bypassing the radiators?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

I made some more animated png (if they are not animating for you, then you need a different browser) that show the differences between Mac, Merc and Ferrari. I know they are not 100% the same angle, but good to give an idea. I have tried to line them up against the engine inlet and the side head protections to get a good comparison of the main body.
I'm x-posting it for all three relevant cars.
http://imgur.com/a/zijFG

madly
madly

imightbewrong wrote:I made some more animated png (if they are not animating for you, then you need a different browser) that show the differences between Mac, Merc and Ferrari. [..]
I'm x-posting it for all three relevant cars.
http://imgur.com/a/zijFG
Please add RB7 and R31 too :D

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

There is one of the Ferrari and RBR since earlier, look back in the thread. The problem is that it works best if the images are taken by the same photographer at the same spot to get similar angles. So we'll see if I get any other good photos to work with.

forty-two

Can anyone tell me what I can see here between the L/H bargeboard and the front of the sidepod, low down just above the floor. Could this be an exhaust pipe?

I'm hearing reports (F1SA.com) that the McLaren was spotted running with FEE today, but that nobody managed to get a picture of it.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Just looks like the toe end of the triangular bargeboard that swoops in front of the side pod.

Until we see a proper picture of this area, I wouldn't get too hung up on the FEE thingy.

Having said that, they did run with temp strips on the lower inboard face of the rear wing endplate and its connections to the diffuser...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Shrieker

Just_a_fan wrote:Just looks like the toe end of the triangular bargeboard that swoops in front of the side pod.
I'm inclined to agree with that. However, there still looks to be a healthy space for an exhaust exit in there.

Just_a_fan wrote:
Having said that, they did run with temp strips on the lower inboard face of the rear wing endplate and its connections to the diffuser...
Could be a diversion ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

zgred

Tim.Wright

Diesel wrote:People, exhausts are not at the front, so stop this stupid labeling of every forward facing hole as the exhausts.
Everyone need a hole to speculate about. Last year, every opening was a hole for feeding the diffuser.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

imightbewrong wrote: Image
I think this is just for the camera.

Also, can exhaust be under the car. Does hot air under car increase down force? Will it create low pressure? Is smt like this banned? what do rules say about exhaust position?

Phillyred
Phillyred

I think it would be smart of any F1 team to implement little decoy distractions on their cars to keep the other teams from finding out what they are really doing- as long as it doesn't detract from the end performance of the car as a whole. A modular exhaust approach this early on may be signs of things to come as cars develop through the season.. Certain low speed cornering tracks may benefit from a more efficient exhaust-blown diffuser. Rather it being forward or rearward blowing probably depends on the overall aero-efficiency of the car as a whole.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Tim.Wright wrote:
Diesel wrote:People, exhausts are not at the front, so stop this stupid labeling of every forward facing hole as the exhausts.
Everyone need a hole to speculate about. Last year, every opening was a hole for feeding the diffuser.

Tim
Or F-Duct

feynman
feynman

Tim.Wright wrote:

Tim
Every hole's a goal!

As for the forward looking IR cameras, I hope this means they are part of a permanant, race telemetry setup.
As I understand, the smaller wing-mirror mounted cameras last year were only actually used in practice sessions ... these new sensors look a little more permanant in nature, and I imagine a real-time analysis of front-tyre temperature fed from car to the garage would be of great use in managing tyres and strategy.

Caerdroia
Caerdroia

ScarbsF1 Twitter wrote:McLaren Exhausts: Quite clearly seen at the back (Arrows to help you! lol) http://yfrog.com/h6kvluj