McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
scarbs
scarbs

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

If they had front exit exhausts, they could do a F-duct-like control, with a "T" in the pipe leading into the cockpit, when the driver needs extra downfroce he puts his hand over the pipe and it re-directs to the front exit and hey presto, instant downnforce...! Can't see a problem with that at all.... :lol:

Sawtooth-spike

scarbs wrote:If they had front exit exhausts, they could do a F-duct-like control, with a "T" in the pipe leading into the cockpit, when the driver needs extra downfroce he puts his hand over the pipe and it re-directs to the front exit and hey presto, instant downnforce...! Can't see a problem with that at all.... :lol:
I thought a mouth pipe they could blow on would be easyer to control :)
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

volarchico
volarchico

scarbs wrote:If they had front exit exhausts, they could do a F-duct-like control, with a "T" in the pipe leading into the cockpit, when the driver needs extra downfroce he puts his hand over the pipe and it re-directs to the front exit and hey presto, instant downnforce...! Can't see a problem with that at all.... :lol:
+1

Tired of the one exhaust up front and one in back mumbo-jumbo. Your pictures were pretty clear (with arrows) where the exhaust were in the back.

raymondu999

Aren't drivers not allowed to be able to influence aerodynamics now though?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

volarchico
volarchico

raymondu999 wrote: Aren't drivers not allowed to be able to influence aerodynamics now though?
Pretty sure that he was being sarcastic about the hot exhaust gases...

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

From a spanish twitter, click for high-res:

And before anyone starts going on about "four visible pipes", the ones below are a reflection (IMO).

timd
timd

volarchico wrote:
raymondu999 wrote: Aren't drivers not allowed to be able to influence aerodynamics now though?
Solved!

dave34m
dave34m

timd wrote:
volarchico wrote:
Solved!

Its a bit Hi-Tech

paipa
paipa

myurr wrote:Think I've worked it out... It's not a tube at all - it's an IR camera looking at the front tyres. Hence the duct tape. The channeling of air into the 'duct' is in fact just a way to create a clear line of sight.
They surely wouldn't mess with the splitter's aerodynamics for that when they can just mount IR cams in the mirrors.

myurr
myurr

paipa wrote:
myurr wrote:Think I've worked it out... It's not a tube at all - it's an IR camera looking at the front tyres. Hence the duct tape. The channeling of air into the 'duct' is in fact just a way to create a clear line of sight.
They surely wouldn't mess with the splitter's aerodynamics for that when they can just mount IR cams in the mirrors.
They mess with it by fitting huge big pitot rakes, etc. Understanding these tyres during these early mechanical setup tests and checks is probably more important to them than ultimate aero performance.

In this case I think they're videoing the tyres from multiple angles with this being a side view (possibly looking at the deformation of the tyre rather than specifically temperature). It's the most logical explanation that I can find, and fits the brightened image I supplied on the previous page.
Last edited by myurr on 11 Feb 2011, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Keene
Martin Keene

imightbewrong wrote:From a spanish twitter, click for high-res:

And before anyone starts going on about "four visible pipes", the ones below are a reflection (IMO).
I'm not sure they are real exhausts. They are firing straight at a carbon suspension arm, which has no heat protection on it at all.

Neither does the top of the diffuser.

:?

Raptor22
Raptor22

myurr wrote:
paipa wrote:
They mess with it by fitting huge big pitot rakes, etc. Understanding these tyres during these early mechanical setup tests and checks is probably more important to them than ultimate aero performance.

In this case I think they're videoing the tyres from multiple angles with this being a side view (possibly looking at the deformation of the tyre rather than specifically temperature). It's the most logical explanation that I can find, and fits the brightened image I supplied on the previous page.

whyhide the video camera if thats what the device is? If you videoing then mount camera and be done with it.
to me it looks more like a local pressure sensor for measuring the pressure on the splitter

forty-two

Martin Keene wrote:

I'm not sure they are real exhausts. They are firing straight at a carbon suspension arm, which has no heat protection on it at all.

I've looked at this image again and again and I can't see any way in which the lower pipes could be a reflection. I wonder in fact if the UPPER ones (i.e. the ones marked with red arrows) might be a reflection of the lower ones?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Callum

forty-two wrote:
Martin Keene wrote:

I've looked at this image again and again and I can't see any way in which the lower pipes could be a reflection. I wonder in fact if the UPPER ones (i.e. the ones marked with red arrows) might be a reflection of the lower ones?

If you look at the Hi-Res picture, the left hand pipe 'reflection' the circle of the pipe is distorted which leads me to believe that it IS a reflection and the surface it is reflecting off is distorting it.

myurr
myurr

Raptor22 wrote:whyhide the video camera if thats what the device is? If you videoing then mount camera and be done with it.
to me it looks more like a local pressure sensor for measuring the pressure on the splitter
I don't think they have hidden it, certainly not any more than any of the other tyre monitors. It could well be a pressure sensor - I'm certainly not wedded to it being a camera although I still think that the most likely explanation due to the shaping of the splitter in front of it giving line of sight to the tyre.

But what it definitely isn't is an exhaust or cooling duct.