Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Raptor22
Raptor22

Re: Mercedes GP W02

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Image

Is this image a graft of a BGP001 and a W01...or is it a sneak preview of the W02??

I think it is indeed a teaser of the W02.

The roll hoop is more pyramid shaped, probably a development of the Blade roll hoop they used in 2010. I will trust Brawn had his own interpretation which will conform.
the tops of the side pods are more RedBull like as is the height of the nose cone. It appears slightly narrower than the Red Bulls though.

With the DDD gone I suspect many cars will opt for increasing airflow under the car to improve the DF from the now much smaller rear diffuser.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

No Raptor, I dont think so.

Its a hybrid computer generated image of the BGP01 airbox and rear, fused on to a W01 front end. You can see its slightly offset to the right.
Had me fooled for a few hours... :lol:
More could have been done.
David Purley

dren

I thought it was the BGP001 at first too, but that airbox looks thinner. Look at the BGP001 airbox. Although I don't think Mercedes would post any sort of picture like this before the actual launch.

Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Well if it is the W02 then you heard it here first! (Do i get a medal :lol: )

What made me think is the side pods, but then you can see the shot was taken in elevation and the lower section of the side pods were blacked out. It gives the impression it is smaller than it actually is, and makes the airbox look thinner too, as its not viewed directly on, rather with a degree of elevation.
David Purley

dren

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Well if it is the W02 then you heard it here first! (Do i get a medal :lol: )

What made me think is the side pods, but then you can see the shot was taken in elevation and the lower section of the side pods were blacked out. It gives the impression it is smaller than it actually is, and makes the airbox look thinner too, as its not viewed directly on, rather with a degree of elevation.
I've been pouring over both pictures, trying to figure out if the angle difference would account for it looking thinner. I'm guessing it's just air brushed to look different. We'll see soon!
Honda!

Raptor22
Raptor22

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Well if it is the W02 then you heard it here first! (Do i get a medal :lol: )

No you get a bitch slap from Raptor... #-o

the pic Merc posted has been doctored that is clear, but the clues are there to see and I have mentioned them.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

:oops: Sorry raptor!.......... :lol:

3 things I EXPECT on the W02 are, pullrod rear suspension, fully incorporated Exhaust Blown Diffuser and a RB style nose(high and not the high/low of the W01).
Another thing that plagued Mercedes throughout 2010, was front tyre "feel and bite".

Well Pirelli may just have helped them out a bit.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88985
David Purley

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Gentlemen, take another look at that pic.

Now look at the lefthand sidepod (our right), going from the lefmost edge (again our right) and moving in towards the nose, there's a sudden discontinuity in the pic just before the sidepod merges with the nose.

WTF is that? Perhaps a editing error?

I found this while I was looking for the wing mirrors of the supposed W02. BTW, where are they?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Holm86

NewtonMeter wrote:Gentlemen, take another look at that pic.

Now look at the lefthand sidepod (our right), going from the lefmost edge (again our right) and moving in towards the nose, there's a sudden discontinuity in the pic just before the sidepod merges with the nose.

WTF is that? Perhaps a editing error?

I found this while I was looking for the wing mirrors of the supposed W02. BTW, where are they?
If you read a little back in this topic you will find that this has been discussed before.

But you are right about the missing mirrors .....

Raptor22
Raptor22

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote::oops: Sorry raptor!.......... :lol:

3 things I EXPECT on the W02 are, pullrod rear suspension, fully incorporated Exhaust Blown Diffuser and a RB style nose(high and not the high/low of the W01).
Another thing that plagued Mercedes throughout 2010, was front tyre "feel and bite".

Forgiven [-o<

On the matter of exhaust blown diffusers, for 2011 the diffuser is back to single deck /layer an no openings in the floor are allowed. This will have a huge impact on the exhaust energising the airflow. I am wondering if we will see the return of the exhaust exitingdirectly into the diffuser. Now I do believe that the RedBull RB-6 had to use some clever enginemapping to get their exhaust energised diffuser working while the driver was transitioning the car from straight to apex to exit making it a bit of a challenge to drive. Will the single deck diffuser and possbily diffuser exiting exhaust result in more difficult to drive cars?

dren

Raptor22 wrote:

Forgiven [-o<

On the matter of exhaust blown diffusers, for 2011 the diffuser is back to single deck /layer an no openings in the floor are allowed. This will have a huge impact on the exhaust energising the airflow. I am wondering if we will see the return of the exhaust exitingdirectly into the diffuser. Now I do believe that the RedBull RB-6 had to use some clever enginemapping to get their exhaust energised diffuser working while the driver was transitioning the car from straight to apex to exit making it a bit of a challenge to drive. Will the single deck diffuser and possbily diffuser exiting exhaust result in more difficult to drive cars?
I don't think so. I think they did when they were first introduced (see Scarbs post on it http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/11/1 ... -the-past/.

I think Mclaren ran an altered engine map to cope with the differences. Their engine certainly sounded different once they equipped the EBD.
Honda!

Morteza

Nico Rosberg to take the W02 on test tracks next month :
http://blogs.bettor.com/Nico-Rosberg-to ... nth-a53562
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Raptor22
Raptor22

dren wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:

Forgiven [-o<

I don't think so. I think they did when they were first introduced (see Scarbs post on it http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/11/1 ... -the-past/.

I think Mclaren ran an altered engine map to cope with the differences. Their engine certainly sounded different once they equipped the EBD.
RedBull also ran a different engine map. They did it first because they were the first to reintroduce the EBD.
We will see if I am right or not. Its a matter of volume flow and the volume has been reduced resulting in the exhaust gas playing a bigger role.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Right guys, a couple of bits to keep you fully up to speed.

This could possibly be the simulator Mercedes will be using this year, as its a daimler propriety that instlling it.... and the W02 will be first in line to use it. 160 million Euro's.......staggering

http://germancarscene.com/2010/10/06/ne ... -unveiled/

Secondly we have some very interesting news regrading the livery for the W02, or more correctly a new one.
A long process indeed but we are now reaching the final straight with the MGP W02 and look forward to sharing our new design with our fans. “We have probably tested five different versions this year but we are now ready to apply the final livery to the first 2011 car.” The Silver Arrows legend lives on…
Sourced from Mercedes GP.

And Ferrari designer Tombazis(No relation to Tomba the great :lol: )has said he expects Mercedes to surprise with its W02 design, as they have the longest lead time of the top 4 teams. This is all hot air, but when it comes from F1 insiders its worth repeating.
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 12106.html

Not long now guys! =P~
David Purley

ell66
ell66

im excited to see what they do this year. im not sure though, the team is still made of the honda staff who lets be honest have failed every year for a while now with the exception of 2009 where they found the famous loophole.

having said that, i have a gut feeling there gonna be competetive, maybe not the fastest but they'l be up there mixing it with the best.