Bernie Ecclestone is a mugging victim!

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
gridwalker
gridwalker

Bernie Ecclestone is a mugging victim!

ESPN wrote:Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone suffered minor injuries after falling victim to a mugging outside his London home on Wednesday morning.
Full story : http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/35265.html

After Bernie's comments about the armed robberies that took place near Interlagos, calling the victims "soft" and "not too bright", I can't help but feel that this is poetic justice. If this man is going to mock the hard-working people who contribute to his vast fortune then my opinion is that he deserved to be brought down a peg or two.

I'm not going to say that he asked for this, but I certainly can't feel any sympathy for him ...
Last edited by gridwalker on 26 Nov 2010, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

lebesset
lebesset

Re: Bernie Ecclestone is a mugging victim!

good job he is a tough old bird , a lot of men his age would have dropped dead from the shock
only lost jewellery to the value of £200,000 , so nothing serious there either
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Giblet
Giblet

gridwalker wrote: I'm not going to say that he asked for this, but I certainly can't feel any sympathy for him ...
I feel sympathy for anyone who gets robbed like that, especially on old man.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, even a scoundrel like BE.

Minor injuries likely mean it was a very traumatic ordeal and he might have been punched or roughed up. To a news report, minor injuries can mean anything that doesn't need prolonged hospital care. Could be stitches, bruising, even a good cut from a knife.

If he lost his favorite race due to a greedy old billionaire, then maybe I could revel in his misery a bit due to the irony factor.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Holm86

No one deserves this. Not even Bernie.

gridwalker
gridwalker

I understand from a personal perspective no human being should be subjected to violent and degrading treatment (unless they specifically request it, like Mr E's mate Max) however I can't bring myself to feel sorry for Bernie in the slightest.

This is a man who verbally attacked the victims of Brazilian gun crime IN THE PRESS ... This would have been horrendous as it was, but the people he was describing actually happen to be the very people upon whom his business empire was built.

That kind of behaviour was despicable enough, but the man throws his opinions around with little regard for the livlihoods they affect : careless talk costs lives, but Bernie's quips cost jobs and sponsors.

How much harder did he make the lives of the new teams by announcing that they brought nothing to the sport? When they are struggling to survive already, Bernie shooting his mouth off will only make life harder for them. This has a direct effect on budgets, jobs and thus the workforce ... If he has such little consideration for the effect that he has on other humans, I don't feel bad about the fact that I don't feel worse for him!

The best thing that could come out of this unpleasant situation would be that Bernie actually learns a little humility.

How long will it be before we hear the next news report where Mr E praises some vile dictator (responsible for thousands, if not millions of deaths) just because he happens to appreciate that particular despot's management style?

Hopefully, he'll think before he speaks in future.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

manchild
manchild

31 yo "girlfriend" of an 80 yo man

Pure £OV€

He was 49 when she was born!

That's pedophilia³

:sick:

Can't see the difference between her's and muggers motives.

wittgenfrog
wittgenfrog

I agree with gridwalker. I can't feel any personal sympathy for a man who has, and expreses such vile opinions so insenitively.

Ted68

manchild wrote:31 yo "girlfriend" of an 80 yo man

Pure £OV€

He was 49 when she was born!

That's pedophilia³

:sick:

C'mon Manchild, I am sure he is getting his end, too. LOL!
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

PNSD
PNSD

manchild wrote:
Yeah, the thing is he knows why she's with him and he will know its money. Is he really the one losing out :p?

forty-two

gridwalker wrote:
ESPN wrote:Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone suffered minor injuries after falling victim to a mugging outside his London home on Wednesday morning.
Full story : http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/35265.html

After Bernie's comments about the armed robberies that took place near Interlagos, calling the victims "soft" and "not too bright", I can't help but feel that this is poetic justice. If this man is going to mock the hard-working people who contribute to his vast fortune then my opinion is that he deserved to be brought down a peg or two.

I'm not going to say that he asked for this, but I certainly can't feel any sympathy for him ...
I'm afraid I'll have to sit on the fence a little on this issue, but as soon as I heard about the mugging incident it reminded me of MrE's words after Jenson button's car was involved in the attempted armed robbery (or maybe kidnap plot) in Brazil. I actually looked up what Bernie had to say after that and it went like this:

Bernie Ecclestone wrote: Brazil's problems are no worse than those in "Oxford Street" or "New York"

I've been coming here for 40 odd years, walking about, and I've never, ever had a problem,

They look for victims, they look for people who are a little bit slow and simple, but the people who look a bit bright, they never go after them
What a flippant thing to say, he didn't know what the people involved in that incident were actually hoping to achieve, nor how far they might have been prepared to go to achieve their objective. I remember reading that at the time and thinking "silly old sod".

This does sound like poetic justice to me, but at the same time, I don't like the idea of an old man being roughed up, and I like the idea of his g/f being attacked even less, but I could care less about the "jewellery" which was stolen, that's pocket change to him.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

donskar
donskar

I'm with gridwalker 100%.

80-year old with a 31-year old?
About $400,000 worth of jewelry?
A man who has shown again, and again a lack of basic human decency?

Maybe, just maybe there is a god. (Or the devil felt Bernie was horning in on his territory and wanted to teach him a lesson.)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

mkw0101
mkw0101

Did he had his body guards around at the time of mugging?
If so where the heck they were.
If Bernie doesn't have any body gaurds he should hire at leas 5 - 10 and he has the money to hire this many body guards.

Also I think it is time for Bernie to step down as the boss of F1 and hire a new boss and yonger than Bernie.

Steven
Owner

I cannot believe what I'm reading here, as personally I thought we were adults here.

It's pretty simple really, Bernie has money, he spends it. That's all good, for him, his girl and the economy. Any other loser trying to rob someone is just pitiful and should be punished.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

You should read crash.net. There are some real pathetic morons who take joy in this. Very sad.

donskar
donskar

Tomba wrote:I cannot believe what I'm reading here, as personally I thought we were adults here.

It's pretty simple really, Bernie has money, he spends it. That's all good, for him, his girl and the economy. Any other loser trying to rob someone is just pitiful and should be punished.
Simple? You want "simple"?

Bernie has been a very polarizing figure. Some people hold him in high regard -- and have reasons for their feelings. Others have equally understandable reasons for holding a very negative view of him. Both groups are adults. It is "adult" and understandable for the first group to wish Bernie well. And it is equally understandable that the second group wishes him ill.

This may be a "virtual" meeting place, but the feelings we bring to it are real and sometimes very deeply felt. I freely admit that I should not feel as strongly about Bernie as I do, but then I also feel too strongly about F1.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill