Ferrari sued by Ford

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Ferrari sued by Ford

Ford sues Ferrari!
February 9, 2011 by joesaward
The Ford Motor Company has sued Ferrari in a US Federal court accusing the Italian firm of cybersquatting and trademark infringement for allegedly misappropriating the famous F-150 name. Ferrari decided to call its new F1 car the F150 in order to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Italian unification and and created a website called http://www.ferrarif150.com. Ford claims that it has suffered irreparable harm to its F-150 trademark and wants the judge to block Ferrari from using the trademark in the US, which would include importing, manufacturing or selling any producing that uses the F-150 name.

Ford also wants damages and is asking for Ferrari to give up any revenue and profits earned in the U.S. through the use of the F150 name. Ford also wants $100,000 in damages pursuant to the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, which protects against Internet domain names that confuse the public over the true source of products and services.

Ford has been using the F-150 name on its pickup trucks since 1975. A trademark registration was made in 1995 and since 1997 the F-150 has earned Ford more than $180 billion.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 10 Feb 2011, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title to something relevant and appropriate

bhall
bhall

Re: Ferrari Screwed!!!

Last edited by bhall on 10 Feb 2011, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

Re: Ferrari sued by Ford

It's stupid.

Ferrari will just turn it into Ferrari 150. Or better yet, eff-150 :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FW17

Still got to pay as they will lose this one.

raymondu999

They sued on the grounds that Ford might lose profits in the US right? How much will that go down though, seeing as their is no GP in the US this year?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ergenomic
ergenomic

Got to love the animosity between Ford and Ferrari... it goes back a long way. Back to the days of the FoMoCo creating the Ford GT to beat Ferrari at their own game.

I am with Ford on this one.

FW17

To me it looks very valid.

Search F150 in Google and a Ferrari f1 car pops up. Ford does not need this so Ferrari pay for the damage.

manchild
manchild

Ferrari will have to pay or change the name.

Remember Chevrolet Beretta?
http://wikicars.org/en/Chevrolet_Beretta wrote:Beretta gun manufacturing company was none-too-amused at General Motors's choice of using the Beretta name, it initially attempted to sue GM for rights to the name, but eventually an "out of court" settlement was reached.

raymondu999

Well the courts will decide how things will pan out. Let's just wait and see.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Herr_Koos

Re: Ferrari Screwed!!!

bhallg2k wrote:This is absurd...

I guess next up will be General Dynamics suing HRT for the name F111.

I lol'd at this one. Well spotted!

FrukostScones

WilliamsF1 wrote:To me it looks very valid.

Search F150 in Google and a Ferrari f1 car pops up. Ford does not need this so Ferrari pay for the damage.
tried it, only ladder frame trucks were popping up.

ha ha ha, those large corporations are funny, I 'm sure this will backfire at Ford.
Sueing Ferrari, the most popular car manufacturer and brand of the world for this, is plain stupid.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

myurr
myurr

If someone reused a Ferrari trademark do you think they would just laugh it off? I wish IP law were different in the US to include a common sense clause, but whilst I disagree with the underlying principle I will not criticise Ford for acting in the same manner Ferrari would.

terribleone
terribleone

Does it help Ferraris case that Ford trucks are crap?
:lol:

FW17

FrukostScones wrote: Sueing Ferrari, the most popular car manufacturer and brand of the world for this, is plain stupid.
:lol: :lol: What do you mean by most popular?

timbo
timbo

Seems like Ford boys didn't bury the hatchet :P