Ferrari sued by Ford

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ced381

Re: Ferrari sued by Ford

Just imagine what would happen if Ford created a track-only car and then named it Ford Enzo...

The F-150 brand is as important to Ford as Enzo is to Ferrari, mainly because it kept them afloat recently and it's their best selling vehicle ever.

Way to go Ford. :)
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

dren

Re: Ferrari F150

Pierce89 wrote:
Lindz wrote:And now for the comedy hour:
F-150® is an established and important Ford trademark and the name of the best-seller in Ford's F-Series, America's best-selling trucks for 34 years and best-selling vehicles for 29 years. Through extensive sales and advertising and exclusive use, Ford has earned invaluable goodwill in the F-150® trademark. That hard-won goodwill is seriously threatened by Ferrari's adoption of "F150."

When Ferrari announced the name of its race car as "F150," Ford asked Ferrari to change the name. Ferrari did not respond in a timely manner, leaving Ford no choice but to take legal action to protect its important brand and trademark rights.
... They can't actually believe a Formula 1 team would try to trade on the image and goodwill of a BIG HEAVY SLOW PICKUP TRUCK. I'm from the U.S. and absolutely embarrassed by this ...
Ford vs. Ferrari goes back decades.
Honda!

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

Truthfully it's not worth fords time or money. Just big ego's and free advertising. The only people making money on this are the lawyers.

Pandamasque

Florio
Florio

Ferrari has now renamed it to the F105th Italia.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Didn't read the thread.
This is simply pathetic.

The world is going crazy, I'm waiting for someone to get a patent for the most popular human names and everyone else wanting to name a child would have to pay royalties or whatever it's called
:wtf:
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Haha..looks like they did exactly like I said a good 10 hrs earlier rename to F150 italia, (posted on 2nd page of the thread :D )

bettonracing
bettonracing

These Ford guys are taking this thing a little too seriously...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RNbbDRd ... r_embedded[/youtube]

:D

Regards,

Kurt

Goran2812
Goran2812

WilliamsF1 wrote:To me it looks very valid.

Search F150 in Google and a Ferrari f1 car pops up. Ford does not need this so Ferrari pay for the damage.
Search F-150 in Google and a Ford pickup Truck pops up. No way Ferrari should pay for anything... Greedy Ford bast****...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Worth noting however, is that the truck in the video above was hardly damaged, all it will need is an alignment and she's back to normal. The 458 on the other hand...
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Giblet
Giblet

While it seems childish, it does make sense for Ford to protect their brand, and Ferrari were being stupid for not responding to them, and making them go to court.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Shrieker

The 458's damages will be covered by the F-150 (the truck one :lol: ) driver's insurance.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

myurr
myurr

Giblet wrote:While it seems childish, it does make sense for Ford to protect their brand, and Ferrari were being stupid for not responding to them, and making them go to court.
Beyond that I believe that it is a requirement under US law that you must defend your trademark or you will lose it. If Ford had not confronted Ferrari then they would have lost the trademark of the best selling car/vehicle in the World.

I still find it incredible that so many people are criticising Ford when Ferrari would do exactly the same thing if one of their trademarks was being used in this way.

Pandamasque

In which way? It's a racing car name not a trade mark. Peugeot are now using the same name for their race car that Porsche used in the 60-s. Big deal. If one carefully looks at racing car names as well as engine nomenclature one may find a lot of work for the layers.

andartop
andartop

I think the whole issue is so silly that if it was me making such decisions I would fine both parties for wasting court time and resources. Ford for being unreasonable and Ferrari as they should have known better. I know there are all these trademark laws in place but some common sense every now and then wouldn't hurt.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft