Ferrari sued by Ford

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
myurr
myurr

Re: Ferrari sued by Ford

Pandamasque wrote:In which way? It's a racing car name not a trade mark. Peugeot are now using the same name for their race car that Porsche used in the 60-s. Big deal. If one carefully looks at racing car names as well as engine nomenclature one may find a lot of work for the layers.
And there won't be any merchandising to go with that car at all... oh no siree...

I wish it weren't the case that trademark and IP law in general worked the way it does, but until the law is changed there is no common sense involved and companies like Ford and Ferrari will continue to defend what they believe are business assets. Had Ford not acted then my understanding is that they would have lost their claim to the trademark.

Imagine if Ford created a new car called the F355, or even a race car and associated merchandising, do you honestly think Ferrari would have acted any differently? Seriously?

myurr
myurr

A very quick Google search turns up the following: Ferrari uses trademark law to get a guy who modified his Ferrari into a limo to remove all Ferrari branding http://www.semplefraser.co.uk/a/FerrariLimo

The justification used in the article: "Well, Ferrari as the holders of the Ferrari Trademark have to be seen to be actively protecting it, if an inadvertent breach has occurred and they do nothing – they may lose the right to take action against similar breaches in the future."

volarchico
volarchico

Re: Ferrari F150th Italia

The name has subtly changed to F150th Italia to appease Ford and their lawsuit against using the name of their big truck! I see the forum name has already been updated. Seems a bit childish to me, but I guess I haven't spent $M on advertising the F150 name to be bothered by it either.

Raptor22
Raptor22

rather presumptious of Ford to think that a customer cannot differentiate between an overweight farm implement and an anorrexic race machine that does not even currently race in the US....
American halfwits

segedunum
segedunum

We all know what lawyers are like.

chepoi
chepoi

Luckily that last year BMW not sue Ferrari because of F10..... the BMW new 5 series codename F10 lol! :lol:
next year ferrari contender might be call... "F4-12C"
:lol:

myurr
myurr

There's a thread for discussing the trademark case: viewtopic.php?p=224354&f=1#p224354

I've explained in there why Ford had to take up the case and how Ferrari would have done the same had the tables been reversed. Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong in that other thread and leave this one for the car.

volarchico
volarchico

myurr wrote:There's a thread for discussing the trademark case: viewtopic.php?p=224354&f=1#p224354

I've explained in there why Ford had to take up the case and how Ferrari would have done the same had the tables been reversed. Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong in that other thread and leave this one for the car.
Sorry, I did a quick look in the "general chat" area to see if it had been mentioned and missed the thread, but should have done a search. I just noticed this thread title had changed...

peteskar

Did I miss something or did Ford only want $100,000 dollars? I could be wrong but my guess is that the lawyers between the two companies would charge more than that.
“… the last time someone was as wrong as you, was when a politician stepped off an aeroplane in 1939 waving a piece of paper in the air saying there will be no war with Germany ”

- Jeremy Clarkson

Pandamasque

chepoi wrote:Luckily that last year BMW not sue Ferrari because of F10..... the BMW new 5 series codename F10 lol! :lol:
next year ferrari contender might be call... "F4-12C"
:lol:
I wonder if Volvo are going to sue Peter Sauber over the 2011 car name. :)

Rob W

I think the issue which distinguishes this case from others mentioned above is that both use the F-150 name for vehicles. Same or related industry trademark disputes such as this are usually pretty quickly resolved. Odd that this one has not been.

Giblet
Giblet

Raptor22 wrote:rather presumptious of Ford to think that a customer cannot differentiate between an overweight farm implement and an anorrexic race machine that does not even currently race in the US....
American halfwits
It races in Canada though, and the F150 sells as well here as it does below the border.

Ford are simply doing what they have to under in a broken and litigation happy country.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Enrage
Enrage

The simple fact is that Ford has a legal duty to protect their trademark. If they don't, they may lose rights to protect it in the future. It really is that simple, and it's not because Americans are "half-wits" (we aren't), or that we are overly-litigious (we are), it's simply Ford's corporate lawyers doing their job to ensure the company's ability to sue if, for instance, Chevrolet came out with an F-150 truck.

Richied76
Richied76

Enrage wrote:The simple fact is that Ford has a legal duty to protect their trademark. If they don't, they may lose rights to protect it in the future. It really is that simple, and it's not because Americans are "half-wits" (we aren't), or that we are overly-litigious (we are), it's simply Ford's corporate lawyers doing their job to ensure the company's ability to sue if, for instance, Chevrolet came out with an F-150 truck.
I totally agree with you. All it takes is for them to lay dormant to the fact ferrari have used there name and all companys will be doing it. I personaly do think it comes down to money and past though. Ever since enzo woulnd sell to ford "back in the day" GT40 Lemans project revenge etc. Plus the fact ford have lost revenue in the past with the economic crisis. Why not sue? Right behing ya ford

Pierce89

Enrage wrote:The simple fact is that Ford has a legal duty to protect their trademark. If they don't, they may lose rights to protect it in the future. It really is that simple, and it's not because Americans are "half-wits" (we aren't), or that we are overly-litigious (we are), it's simply Ford's corporate lawyers doing their job to ensure the company's ability to sue if, for instance, Chevrolet came out with an F-150 truck.
The F-150 is a commercially available TRUCK. The f150 is a F1 car. There's no competition between the two. I think Ford is wasting EVERYONE'S time and money. Ford WOULD NOT lose their trademark had they let this slide.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher