Australian GP 2011 - Albert Park, 24-27 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Pandamasque

Re: Australian GP 2011 - Albert Park, 24-27 March

forty-two wrote:Seems like an odd thing to say after he'd just aced qualifying!?!

Perhaps it's just me that thinks that's a little bit strange?
Whatever that was, I think it's got to be auto-tuned ASAP!

Mr Alcatraz

richard_leeds wrote:Come on guys, "we are who we are" was a clear rebuttal for the "they're only a soft drinks company" gibe.

I thought Horner's reaction was priceless. I'd happily hear more motivational BS from drivers so we can get that sort or reaction from their teams!

By the way, does anyone think they get coaching in that sort of language from Tom Cruise? Every film he does has a scene where he does that sort of vommit inducing pep talk.
Last season I found it a little over the top, how Vettel celebrated with what appeared to be (although sincere and spontaneous) a little goofy, and almost like it was something that was too immature.
As to coaching I would not be surprised if people in, or close to him, or the team.
May have suggested that; "with all the winning you're doing, why don't you try acting like it is something you expect, and less effusive".
However he chooses to react does not reflect negatively on his accomplishments on the track, so don't get me wrong.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

ringo

I don't mind the gloating and boasting. We need more of it in F1.
The humble quiet driver who does his job and keeps his head down is more clichéd than anything else.
It's even more annoying to hear redbull tip toe around the fact that they have the fastest car on the grid. The humbleness is almost like lying.

At least Helmut Marko is more realistic. RB have the fastest car and he's calling out all challengers to come and get them if they can.

That is real competition, non of this humble alter boy stuff.

Vettel's "we are who we are", sounded like something lady Gaga I would say, but he's getting there.
A little more macho-ness in the taunt would have been better. I don't mind the it at all. It adds more emotion to the racing.

How's this for a press conference speech after winning the race? 8)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjwhVX-n40g[/youtube]

any driver who does this would add 1 second of pace to the car automatically for the next race. :lol:
For Sure!!

Goran2812
Goran2812

Re: Ferrari 150° Italia

^+1 good post...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

bot6
bot6

Imagine Schumi telling Alonso "I'm gonna eat your children" with a very very thick german accent...

:lol:

Pandamasque

It would take Seb a lot of practice to do that rap thing like Mike.
ringo wrote:I don't mind the gloating and boasting. We need more of it in F1.
No thanks! I don't want the sport to be represented by kids acting like a$$holes on or aff the track. Pro boxing is pathetic these days exactly because the tongue-span of so many pros hugely exceeds their abilities.
I just wish F1 drivers stopped acting like perfectly trained PR talking heads and more like real humans. I mean, I've just watched '99 season review, and the interviews make it clear as day that Hakkinen for instance doesn't say much, but stays open and honest, and resumes good humour nearly all the time, while Irvine is clearly a bitch and enjoying it.

Antti-san
Antti-san

Pandamasque wrote:I just wish F1 drivers stopped acting like perfectly trained PR talking heads and more like real humans.
Ditto! I'd take a humble quiet driver anyday over a pretentious motormouth - let the driving do the talking. :wink:

Tamburello
Tamburello

Being open, honest and outspoken does not and should not entail being a calculated and ultimately fake, trash talker.

Ray

I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring about the Vettel and Button situation. I see it as a nonissue. Completely. Immediately before the pass happened Button was given a drive through penalty for his earlier off track excursion. This was shown on the world feed before they entered that set of corners. In my opinion it's a nonissue because as of te moment he was given that drive through they were no longer racing for position. He's been handed a 20 some odd second penalty with that drive through so everything that happened between himself and Vettel isn't relevant because he wasn't realistically fighting for that position. Maybe Vettel did break a rule, maybe he didn't. Either way he wasn't as fast as Vettel and with that penalty they were no longer racing. The stewards most likely saw this and let it go, he didn't gain an advantage on a guy that has effectively already lost that position entirely.

Just my take.

Ray

Pandamasque wrote:It would take Seb a lot of practice to do that rap thing like Mike.
ringo wrote:I don't mind the gloating and boasting. We need more of it in F1.
No thanks! I don't want the sport to be represented by kids acting like a$$holes on or aff the track. Pro boxing is pathetic these days exactly because the tongue-span of so many pros hugely exceeds their abilities.
I just wish F1 drivers stopped acting like perfectly trained PR talking heads and more like real humans. I mean, I've just watched '99 season review, and the interviews make it clear as day that Hakkinen for instance doesn't say much, but stays open and honest, and resumes good humour nearly all the time, while Irvine is clearly a bitch and enjoying it.
Hakkinen was probably the best guy in the interview room! He had such a good sense of humor that was so rarely seen. My favorite is when he was asked if he had an easy win, can't remember where, and he says 'oh yeah, it was so easy.' The room was utterly silent and the rest of the interview was so bland because everyone is damn uptight then and it's even worse now! I just hope it doesn't turn into NASCAR, emotion is fine but scripted events ruin it. And yes,I believe NASCAR is both rigged and scripted. Even worse than F1.

CHT
CHT

Pandamasque wrote: I just wish F1 drivers stopped acting like perfectly trained PR talking heads and more like real humans
This is as real as it can get.

djos

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

Looks like Webber may have some genuine gremlins with his car, apparently the front wing was damaged and a couple of data points suggest an issue with the chassis.

http://www.speedcafe.com.au/2011/03/30/ ... ng-damage/
We found a few pointers in the data but we’ll need to strip the car down before drawing any conclusions,” wrote Webber in his column for the Telegraph.

“Only then will we know whether something was broken, or whether there was something fundamentally wrong with the car.

“More than anything, I struggled with a lack of grip. That affected the longevity of my Pirelli tyres because the degradation was much higher on my car than on Seb’s.

“I was forced to make three pit stops during the race, whereas he dominated proceedings with a two-stop strategy.

“When I was told that Sauber’s Sergio Perez completed 34 laps on the soft tyre and did just one pitstop in the entire race, I was blown away.

“That was very impressive and it proved that the durability of the tyre was there, if you could unleash it.”
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 31 Mar 2011, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: brought from RB7 thread, along with subsequent responses
"In downforce we trust"

raymondu999

Shouldn't a lack of front downforce produce a relatively more stable, albeit less aggressively-turning-in, car which would help preserve the rears better? :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

djos

raymondu999 wrote:Shouldn't a lack of front downforce produce a relatively more stable, albeit less aggressively-turning-in, car which would help preserve the rears better? :?
Considering how long you've been around here, I'd have thought you knew the answer to that question? :shock:
"In downforce we trust"

raymondu999

I'd venture a yes, but many people know I have never really understood the dark art of tyres and tyre wear
失败者找理由,成功者找方法