Australian GP 2011 - Albert Park, 24-27 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
djos

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

raymondu999 wrote:I'd venture a yes, but many people know I have never really understood the dark art of tyres and tyre wear
most of the experts seem to agree that more downforce = better tire life as the slipping forces on the tires are less so they dont overheat.

Webber's been around for 10 years so has driven on both Michelin and Bridgstones back in the days of the tire wars when they were super soft and 2 or 3 stops per race was the norm so I'd say adapting to tires is not that likely to be the issue (although Trulli seems to reckon the tires vary wildly in quality).
"In downforce we trust"

raymondu999

Yes, but in this case, IF (and only IF) the fw damage decreased his FRONT downforce, it would mean more slippage at the front, and less at the rear, and a car with more tendency to understeer. The fronts would go off quicker, but not the rears.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

djos

raymondu999 wrote:Yes, but in this case, IF (and only IF) the fw damage decreased his FRONT downforce, it would mean more slippage at the front, and less at the rear, and a car with more tendency to understeer. The fronts would go off quicker, but not the rears.
You are forgetting that the front wing sets up the entire aero for the whole car so if it's broken you are in serious trouble.
"In downforce we trust"

kalinka
kalinka

I don't know the reason, I just remind you that Webber was complaining about hte rear tyres about 2 laps before Vettel, and Hamilton was able to stay out most, and catching Vettel before first stint. Maybe they (RBR) overcooked their tyres at the start and they struggle of that later. But again then, Button doesn't seems to complain about tyres, and he was constantly fighting with Massa...it's a puzzle for me (or McL is better with tyres) :wtf:

Hangaku

Re: Australian GP 2011 - Albert Park, 24-27 March

CHT wrote:
Pandamasque wrote: I just wish F1 drivers stopped acting like perfectly trained PR talking heads and more like real humans
This is as real as it can get.

"... Wicky Bubby ..."
Fixed that for ya.
Yer.

raymondu999

I always was of the opinion that Pepe le Pew there was based on Fernandinho
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

I was just rewatching Aussie 2011's Race. On lap 28/58, Lewis said something interesting which I didn't catch before. Well Ted Kravitz reported Lewis as saying it anyways. No team radio was broadcast. it said that Lewis' left front was going. Could it be that the McLaren is a more stable car on the rear, perhaps a tinge of understeer, so that protects the slip angles on the rear tyres, while punishing the fronts more? All I've heard from other teams were of rears disappearing, not fronts
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

djos

kalinka wrote:I don't know the reason, I just remind you that Webber was complaining about hte rear tyres about 2 laps before Vettel, and Hamilton was able to stay out most, and catching Vettel before first stint. Maybe they (RBR) overcooked their tyres at the start and they struggle of that later. But again then, Button doesn't seems to complain about tyres, and he was constantly fighting with Massa...it's a puzzle for me (or McL is better with tyres) :wtf:
It's also worth noting that one big reason Webber lost out to Alonso for 4th was due to his off after his 3rd pitstop (out lap) while he was trying to get the tires up to temp.

Considering all the other drivers that had issues on out laps over the weekend (Narian, Massa, Webber, Truli and others) it does seem that they are a tricky tire to get up to temp.
"In downforce we trust"

Hangaku

Indeed, this would fit with what Jenson was saying about adding more front wing downforce, now that the backend is sorted. If the front was a bit slidey, this would wear the tires faster?
Yer.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Also keep in mind that this is Mark Webber, a driver who's always been good with tire management. Remember last year when he went something like 35 laps on the full softs to win in Germany?

myurr
myurr

Hangaku wrote:Indeed, this would fit with what Jenson was saying about adding more front wing downforce, now that the backend is sorted. If the front was a bit slidey, this would wear the tires faster?
He also said it was easier to add front downforce than rear, so that's a positive sign for the team. Would fit with the car looking absolutely planted as well.

Don't forget though that by the time Lewis's front tyres were going off the car had already failed and he'd lost a stack load of downforce.

raymondu999

I wouldn't doubt that the front is easier to add downforce to. Adding up AoA on the rear wing costs drag, while the drag from increased AoA on the front wing is negligible (I believe)

For the Vettel-Button overtake, I think we're beginning to see that Vettel is ruthless in overtaking (not GOOD, but RUTHLESS) in that he knows the limit of the rulebook. He knows what is likely to be penalized and what isn't likely penalized. For example, when he couldn't pass Sutil in Silverstone 2010, he lined it up in such a way that he could barge through and Sutil would have to yield or risk a major collision. I don't think that, or the Australia overtake were "spur-of-the-moment" overtakes, but well thought out ones
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

More like Hungary for 40 :P But I digress. I get what you're saying.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hangaku

Re: Ferrari 150° Italia

AbbaleRacing77 wrote:And please don't try and convince me that button wasn't gonna get passed by Alonso ... His penalty was his fault and just a lame excuse for you mclaren fans.
Both speculative, and nonsensical.
Yer.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Re: Ferrari 150° Italia

[/quote]

I still believe that Ferrari is at the same level with mclaren if not faster. Alonso clearly admitted that there qualifying setup was conservative... Meaning they probably were planning a 2 stop strategy to beat mclaren and red bull on tire conservation. I'm sure that if they knew they were gonna have to switch to a 3 stop strategy they wouldve put a more aggressive qualifying setup on resulting in a higher qualifying spot ( top 3). Even after falling to 9th and switching strategies Alonso was flying... Do they have more work to do in order to win the title... Absolutely but the car is far from terrible. Was this a huge learning experience in deciding strategy for race and qualifying?.... Absolutely. Tire utilization will be key moving forward. And please don't try and convince me that button wasn't gonna get passed by Alonso ... His penalty was his fault and just a lame excuse for you mclaren fans. Massa is a different issue with clear tire and setup issues. But like I said they learned alot this weekend some got it right and some didn't... Sepang will be a whole new game.

Time to get back to the f150....[/quote]

This is not what I saw but whatever makes you happy. Check out the graph here: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/

Alonso was only quicker than the front two (redbull, mclaren) once they had the race in the bag and eased off. Hamilton in particular really eased off in the final third.

I think the Ferrari is the third best car at the moment, from the look of the times it seems to be by around half a second off the Mclaren.