Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

AMG.Tzan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 14:29
Gasly would have never got any better i believe...even if he stayed til the end! Don't know if that has to do with the car of his psychology but he was way too slow for this car! Hopefully Albon is a better deal but i don't see him being fast straight out of the box!
Question remains though...why not Kyvat? Same question with Sainz in 2016! Way more experienced than Albon and had more points than Albon! I mean yeah he screwed up a bit in 2016 but it wasn't that bad...i believe it had more to do with RB wanting to give Verstappen a seat at RB rather than Kyvat screwing up so much that he must get demoted...Gasly screwed up way more than Kyvat in 2016...but yeah there is no Verstappen for promotion right now!
Let's see...i am excited when these things happen in the middle of the season!!
Probably (in both cases) rate of development of the drivers.

TAG

I think this move has more to do with Red Bull making a move for 2nd in the WCC than anything specific in the driver's choice. Albon was the right pick, not only is he a better qualifier, something needed in the pointy end of the grid; I believe he's driven better under racing conditions has performed better overall often overtaking the second Red Bull driver and when finishing behind Kyviat, is right behind him.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

That's make or break for Albon, they've given him a chance, if he doesn't perform I doubt they will put him back in the Torro Rosso.

Big Tea

Diesel wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 15:49
That's make or break for Albon, they've given him a chance, if he doesn't perform I doubt they will put him back in the Torro Rosso.
But as long as he does not 'dive' would put him in the sights of other teams, and with a years experience at the sharp end.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Big Tea wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 15:54
Diesel wrote:
But as long as he does not 'dive' would put him in the sights of other teams, and with a years experience at the sharp end.
Possibly, but if he was to go somewhere else he needs to be making that deal now, there aren't likely to be any decent seats left by the end of the season.

I guess it depends who else is ready to move up to F1 in their young driver programme. If there isn't anyone, they could always swap Kyvat in to the RB for next season and put Albon back in the STR with Gasly for 2020. The only problem then is if Kyvat doesn't perform they've run out of options, they can't keep rotating the same 3 drivers. Which is why I think they will bring in fresh blood for 2020, most likely a rookie in to the STR to give them an option to swap out whoever's sitting next to Max. I bet they are wishing they hadn't gifted Sainz to McLaren now...

ringo

AMG.Tzan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 14:29
Gasly would have never got any better i believe...even if he stayed til the end! Don't know if that has to do with the car of his psychology but he was way too slow for this car! Hopefully Albon is a better deal but i don't see him being fast straight out of the box!
Question remains though...why not Kyvat? Same question with Sainz in 2016! Way more experienced than Albon and had more points than Albon! I mean yeah he screwed up a bit in 2016 but it wasn't that bad...i believe it had more to do with RB wanting to give Verstappen a seat at RB rather than Kyvat screwing up so much that he must get demoted...Gasly screwed up way more than Kyvat in 2016...but yeah there is no Verstappen for promotion right now!
Let's see...i am excited when these things happen in the middle of the season!!
suspect Kyvaat is faster than Max if both were on their best days and could give max too much trouble. Kyvaat also doesnt fear Max, anytime the two meet on track Kyvaat will race him hard. So Albon, though not as fast or experienced is the better bet. He can be developed over time to match Max. Kyvaat will just get in and try to go toe to toe with max right off the bat.
Albon is in for now, but i dont think it is a done deal. If he fails to impress they will promote Kyvaat and give him the ground rules regarding how he and Max get along.
For Sure!!

Big Tea

Diesel wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 16:04
Big Tea wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 15:54
Diesel wrote:
Possibly, but if he was to go somewhere else he needs to be making that deal now, there aren't likely to be any decent seats left by the end of the season.

I guess it depends who else is ready to move up to F1 in their young driver programme. If there isn't anyone, they could always swap Kyvat in to the RB for next season and put Albon back in the STR with Gasly for 2020. The only problem then is if Kyvat doesn't perform they've run out of options, they can't keep rotating the same 3 drivers. Which is why I think they will bring in fresh blood for 2020, most likely a rookie in to the STR to give them an option to swap out whoever's sitting next to Max. I bet they are wishing they hadn't gifted Sainz to McLaren now...
If they did swap DK and Albon next year Albon and Gasly would not be that bad a team in an updated STR.
They could easily be strong mid field, and still have stand by drivers for the boss team. They could probably get good prize money and be in a position to help with development too.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Capharol wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 11:32
NathanOlder wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 11:14
GPR -A wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 11:02
You would agree that, Senna would have never gone to Ferrari. He left McLaren for the fact that, McLaren couldn't give him fastest car in 1992 and 1993 (just 2 years!), despite having won 3 championships in that team. Prost and Mansell had resigned from Ferrari as they couldn't do much there. Senna wouldn't have gone there for sure. So Michael was the only option that Ferrari would have left with on that grid! Ferrari would have definitely tried him even if Senna was alive. So, Michael would have certainly driven those 2000s cars.

Even if Michael wouldn't have gone to Ferrari, he would have won another championship with Benetton in 1996. I am not saying this, Brawn himself had admitted that, when Michael left Benetton in 1996, the car was still good for another championship in Michael's hands as Brawn was still in-charge at Benetton in 1996. Would he have beaten Senna in 1996 while driving that Benetton, when that year's Williams was a genuine championship winner? Nobody knows, 36 Years old Senna Vs 26 Years old Michael.
Well a 36yrs old in that Williams scored more than DOUBLE the points of any Benetton driver that year,

So if Senna and Schumacher were in those 2 cars, Its very clear Senna would have come out on top.
and now explain to me what this has to do with the Topic?
Nothing, but a certain Max fan takes every opportunity to down play Hamilton, presumably to make his Max look better. No, I don't understand how that works either. So just answered his query and the rest followed.

I got an official forum warning for calling him a f-b so I don't do that now. But I do point out the error of his position. In a nice way, of course.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

GPR -A wrote:
So Michael was the only option that Ferrari would have left with on that grid! Ferrari would have definitely tried him even if Senna was alive. So, Michael would have certainly driven those 2000s cars.
Would he? Would Ferrari have taken him assuming he hadn't won either the 94 or 95 titles? If they did, would he have got contractual number one status? No one knows. But he wouldn't have 7 titles and 91 wins to his name, that's for sure. That's the way of the game.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I see Max is starting to believe the hype around him now. Thinks he one of the most complete drivers in F1. Also thinks Hamilton hasn't faced any real team mate challenges. Presumably he wasn't old enough to watch 2007 when Hamilton made Alonso's life difficult, or watched him beat two other champions more than they beat him.

Remind us, Max, which champions have you had as team mates in your long and illustrious F1 career?

As the saying goes: pride comes before a fall.

GPR-A

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:31
GPR -A wrote:
So Michael was the only option that Ferrari would have left with on that grid! Ferrari would have definitely tried him even if Senna was alive. So, Michael would have certainly driven those 2000s cars.
Would he? Would Ferrari have taken him assuming he hadn't won either the 94 or 95 titles? If they did, would he have got contractual number one status? No one knows. But he wouldn't have 7 titles and 91 wins to his name, that's for sure. That's the way of the game.
When Ferrari signed him for 1996, he hadn't won the 95 yet!

Do you know if he had, "Contractual No. 1" for 1996 when they signed him? It developed after he delivered what he promised, 3 wins in first season. Irvine never managed to threaten him seriously, doesn't mean because of Contractually No. 2. Irvine managed a podium at the very first race of 1996 and that was his best result of the season. His first win came in 1999, when the car had become a title contender!
Last edited by GPR-A on 12 Aug 2019, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

GPR -A wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:40

Do you know if he had, "Contractual No. 1" for 1996 when they signed him? It developed after he delivered what he promised, 3 wins in first season. Irvine never managed to threaten him seriously, doesn't mean because of Contractually No. 2. Irvine managed a podium at the very first race of 1996 and that was his best result of the season.
Coulthard has confirmed he turned down a seat at Ferrari because he wouldn't accept a contractual number 2 position. Not sure when that was though.

Jolle
Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:31
GPR -A wrote:
if.... Senna somehow won the 94 title (the B194 was the dominant car that year), who knows what would of happend. Good chance Philip Morris stayed with Mclaren and Mercedes got Schumacher back for 97 or something. Or, Philip Morris would have switched to Ferrari like they did, but with Schumacher not being a WC, they had Senna with a "you can not not sign this contract" deal. or... paired up with Schumacher in a new Lauda/Prost/Senna mashup.

Who knows....

The series of events of 1994 changed Formula One forever.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Big Tea wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:23
Diesel wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 16:04

If they did swap DK and Albon next year Albon and Gasly would not be that bad a team in an updated STR.
They could easily be strong mid field, and still have stand by drivers for the boss team. They could probably get good prize money and be in a position to help with development too.
That's not how Helmut Marko sees it, STR is there to evaluate the new talent, there would be little point running two drivers who didn't make the cut for the RB seat. I'd argue the only reason they've got Kyvat is to give them a known quantity to measure Albon against.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
12 Aug 2019, 17:43

Who knows....

The series of events of 1994 changed Formula One forever.
Exactly. It left F1 with no World Champion on the grid (other than Mansell's brief return). Schumacher had an "easy run" compared to the likely season he'd have faced if Imola had been a walk-away off for Senna.

Also, remember that in 1994, Williams were WCC. That suggests that Senna could have taken the driver's title. We'll never know, of course, but that's the way of racing.