McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

gilgen wrote:
gray41 wrote:Verizon on the cars once again in Austin.
Naturally! Verzion was set up by Vodafone and is trying now to buy out Vodafone!
The shares Vodafone has in Verizon Wireless* Verizon isn't trying to buy out Vodafone, they are trying to buy back the shares Vodafone has in Verizon Wireless.

It's a slightly different(off topic) detail. So in the future, we might not see Verizon on Vodafone sponsored cars anymore, not that anyone would mind :P
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

stefan_
stefan_

United States 2013 (14.11.2013)

Brazil 2013 - Thursday (21.11.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

MaCa using tyre sensor to gather data on the new tyres, but of course they weren't used. A crude looking sensor if I say so myself.

Also two different config noses

lio007

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:MaCa using tyre sensor to gather data on the new tyres, but of course they weren't used. A crude looking sensor if I say so myself.

I don't think that this are two different configs, because the second/longer black stripe you can see is only some scotch tape to fix the cables for the sensor.

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

lio007 wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:MaCa using tyre sensor to gather data on the new tyres, but of course they weren't used. A crude looking sensor if I say so myself.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/10/qezg.jpg
I don't think that this are two different configs, because the second/longer black stripe you can see is only some scotch tape to fix the cables for the sensor.
He's talking nose and pylons not the FW...
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

lio007

Matt Somers wrote: ...

Oh sorry...now I've got it.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Matt Somers wrote:
Indeed, thanks Matt.

stefan_
stefan_

Brazil 2013 - Saturday (23.11.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

trinidefender
trinidefender

Ok so now surprise or surprises (for me at least), they get fourth and sixth after all season getting quite midfield results.

Does anybody have any insight into the changes they made to the car for Brazil? Aero or suspension or otherwise? From what I can tell in the pictures it looks the same but I am tired so wouldn't be surprised if I missed something.

spin1/2
spin1/2

They gambled on a dry setup, and it worked out during the race. They were running lesser wing than other teams. Jenson pointed this out after qualifying, where they finished Q2 at the bottom.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

For 2013 McLaren followed Ferrari's 2012 lead by introducing pull-rod front suspension. Unlike Ferrari's set-up, however, McLaren's is far easier to work on. The torsion bars (1) can be changed from the front of the chassis, just as with a push-rod layout (Ferrari's can only be accessed from under the chassis). To change all other suspension components, the McLaren mechanics can easily remove the brake fluid cylinders (red arrow). That gives them better access to the two-piece anti-roll bars (2) and the third damper (4). Also visible in this drawing are the steering rack (3) and the front-wheel tethers (5).

McLaren MP4-28 - Pull-Rod Front Suspension