McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jackles-UK

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

With the effort they appear to have put into their tri-split turningvanes I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if the snowplough made an appearance. Sure it would improve front DF levels but so would the reintroduction of the FW cascades plus starving the splitter/rear end of good air (the whole reason for the removal of the snowplough in the first place last year) opened up by raising the chassis by blocking off a large part of it seems counter-intuitive!

Javert

Jackles-UK wrote:With the effort they appear to have put into their tri-split turningvanes I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if the snowplough made an appearance. Sure it would improve front DF levels but so would the reintroduction of the FW cascades plus starving the splitter/rear end of good air (the whole reason for the removal of the snowplough in the first place last year) opened up by raising the chassis by blocking off a large part of it seems counter-intuitive!
That little element sticked to the nose seen on RB6 and late season RB8 could be an option

Richard
Richard

We already have a thread bout designing a car for undertseer of oversteer. Posts on that topic have been moved to rejoin their kin in that perpetually circular debate ....

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 31#p410731

chumma
chumma

Javert wrote:
Jackles-UK wrote:With the effort they appear to have put into their tri-split turningvanes I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if the snowplough made an appearance. Sure it would improve front DF levels but so would the reintroduction of the FW cascades plus starving the splitter/rear end of good air (the whole reason for the removal of the snowplough in the first place last year) opened up by raising the chassis by blocking off a large part of it seems counter-intuitive!
That little element sticked to the nose seen on RB6 and late season RB8 could be an option
Which element are you talking about?

raymondu999

Trackside impressions by Gary Anderson, from the latest edition of Autosport:
Gary Anderson wrote:Even though the lap times in isolation don’t look as dramatic as others, overall the McLaren looked very good. It has a secure rear end but, oddly, there was a bit of medium-speed understeer, which is something that the team needs to address. Perhaps it’s because the car appears to have a slightly longer wheelbase. But the signs are that McLaren, which had (on average) the fastest car last year, has built on those foundations.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Javert

chumma wrote:
Javert wrote:
Which element are you talking about?
http://www.f1grandprix.it/download/wall ... %20(1).jpg

That

Thunder

You mean the Cameras?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Javert

Thunders wrote:You mean the Cameras?
:mrgreen: Didn't know they were the cameras :mrgreen: sorry ..
If so, I think (I'm not sure) that Red Bull position is better for front downforce (more air pressure there) don't know if it affects flows to other parts

chumma
chumma

Javert wrote:
Thunders wrote:You mean the Cameras?
:mrgreen: Didn't know they were the cameras :mrgreen: sorry ..
If so, I think (I'm not sure) that Red Bull position is better for front downforce (more air pressure there) don't know if it affects flows to other parts
Red Bull did a lot of experimenting with the camera placements but I think most teams have decided that between the nose pillars seems to be more advantages, sort of, 'extending' the middle of the front wing so airflow stays attached for longer.

(ps those dummy cameras are ballast, correct me if im wrong)

j2004p
j2004p

Just to let anyone interested know, the iPhone/iPad app for the 3D MP4-27 has been updated to include the MP4-28

3D spinnable zoomable pointlessness!

j2004p
j2004p

j2004p wrote:3D spinnable zoomable pointlessness!
Actually I might have been a bit quick with the 'pointless' comment.

Just using the mp4-28 iPhone app and spotted this when zoomed in on the side pods...

Seems like the mp4-28 in the app has a slimmed down flow conditioner on the upper leading edge of the side pod, will be interesting to see if this appears on the real thing before Melbourne!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Lotus style.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

beelsebob
beelsebob

Owen.C93 wrote:Lotus style.
Pardon? Sauber put these on last year, then McLaren added them, then lotus added them after that. You can't really call it "lotus style" when lotus took it from Sauber and then McLaren.

Rikhart
Rikhart

beelsebob wrote:
Pardon? Sauber put these on last year, then McLaren added them, then lotus added them after that. You can't really call it "lotus style" when lotus took it from Sauber and then McLaren.
You can, because mclaren adopted lotus style sidepod lips this year, and their flow conditioners on that model are almost a direct copy of what lotus has on the e21.

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:
To be frank, they remind me more of the MP4-26's flow conditioners
失败者找理由,成功者找方法