Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LM10
LM10

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

seventhsin wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 02:08
The stewards decision focuses nearly entirely on the holes in the spacer and not the holes in the wheel. I think that they're creating a low pressure area inside the wheel hub via the rotation of the holes that pass through the spokes.
This in turn draws air through the small holes in the spacer, which gets its air from the drive lug holes. I'd be willing to bet if we saw behind that spacer we'd see a number of holes there divisible by the number of spokes.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Also noticed that.

I had a little look at the biographies of the stewards. None of them studied any technical or engineering studies. Gerd Ennser, for example, is a lawyer and director of a court. His hobbies are motor sports. All team engineers and also a big amount of users of this forum most probably have a lot more technical knowledge and look at things differently.

Also talking generally: Is it always the case that stewards are people who actually don’t even have the quarter of the technical level team engineers have? If yes, that’s shocking.

Deciding a complex technical question by just having motor sports as hobbies.. makes big sense. =D>
Last edited by LM10 on 26 Oct 2018, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

hurril
hurril

LM10 wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 10:24
seventhsin wrote:
The stewards decision focuses nearly entirely on the holes in the spacer and not the holes in the wheel. I think that they're creating a low pressure area inside the wheel hub via the rotation of the holes that pass through the spokes.
This in turn draws air through the small holes in the spacer, which gets its air from the drive lug holes. I'd be willing to bet if we saw behind that spacer we'd see a number of holes there divisible by the number of spokes.

Also noticed that.

I had a little look at the biographies of the stewards. None of them studied any technical or engineering studies. Gerd Ennser, for example, is a lawyer and director of a court. His hobbies are motor sports. All team engineers and also a big amount of users of this forum most probably have a lot more technical
knowledge and look at things differently.

Also talking generally: Is it always the case that stewards are people who actually don’t even have the quarter of the technical level team engineers have? If yes, that’s shocking.

Deciding a complex technical question by just having motor sports as hobbies.. makes big sense. =D>
You're making a category error here. You are comparing two groups on account of their credibility here but selecting for formal competence in one case and informal in the other. That's clearly not fair. You might just as well speak of the stewards as having "a lot more technical knowledge" than what "the big amount of users of this form" would have - it's just as given. The fact that it is easy for someone to think of me as having the level of, formal or informal, competence most suited for some argument does not make it so. Or right.

So you might know that the stewards don't have some amount of formal competence that you deem necessary for the adequate execution of some task. But since you _don't_ know the formal competence of the group you put them against, you can't assume that it has to be adequate because they appear knowledgable on average.

An unknown does not become a known on account of appearances.

M840TR
M840TR

LM10
LM10

hurril wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 10:40
LM10 wrote:
seventhsin wrote:

Also noticed that.

I had a little look at the biographies of the stewards. None of them studied any technical or engineering studies. Gerd Ennser, for example, is a lawyer and director of a court. His hobbies are motor sports. All team engineers and also a big amount of users of this forum most probably have a lot more technical

You're making a category error here. You are comparing two groups on account of their credibility here but selecting for formal competence in one case and informal in the other. That's clearly not fair. You might just as well speak of the stewards as having "a lot more technical knowledge" than what "the big amount of users of this form" would have - it's just as given. The fact that it is easy for someone to think of me as having the level of, formal or informal, competence most suited for some argument does not make it so. Or right.

So you might know that the stewards don't have some amount of formal competence that you deem necessary for the adequate execution of some task. But since you _don't_ know the formal competence of the group you put them against, you can't assume that it has to be adequate because they appear knowledgable on average.

An unknown does not become a known on account of appearances.
In most sports it’s enough to know the rules to be able to referee. In Formula 1 it’s not enough to know the regulations, you also need to have enough competence to understand every detailed aspect to decide if a technology on a car matches the regulations or not. To decide if a complex aerodynamic detail is legal you need to be on the level of an aerodynamicist, else it just doesn’t make sense. A person who has not studied and been into a particular engineering subject, surely can’t be on the same level of competence. Especially in F1 where the pinnacle of engineers push each other to come up with innovations.

But that’s enough off topic.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:

Also noticed that.

I had a little look at the biographies of the stewards.
And you'd have done that and objected to their apparent lack of expertise if they had thrown Mercedes's wheels out? No? Thought not. :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LM10
LM10

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 13:13
LM10 wrote:

Also noticed that.

I had a little look at the biographies of the stewards.
And you'd have done that and objected to their apparent lack of expertise if they had thrown Mercedes's wheels out? No? Thought not. :wink:
The official statement of he stewards seemed so inaccurate and mostly pointing out the little holes. And because I saw the names of the stewards I was curious and had a look. Now I learnt something which I find stupid in general.

subcritical71

So, you don’t think the stewards have access to FIA or other experts in their field? How many experts do you think would be needed to come to a decision (aero, materials, suspension, thermodynamics, etc). Now think of the whole car plus officiating the race, you’d need 100 experts. How consistent do you think those decisions would be.

dans79

LM10 wrote:

You are drastically overvaluing formal education, some of the dumbest people I've ever worked with have had phds!
197 104 103 7

LM10
LM10

subcritical71 wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 13:46
So, you don’t think the stewards have access to FIA or other experts in their field? How many experts do you think would be needed to come to a decision (aero, materials, suspension, thermodynamics, etc). Now think of the whole car plus officiating the race, you’d need 100 experts. How consistent do you think those decisions would be.
A few experts for aerodynamics, engine, chassis and probably all the regulational questions occurring throughout a season can be answered.

If stewards are being supervised by other FIA experts in such questions, then it’s technically not the decision by the stewards themselves.

LM10
LM10

dans79 wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 14:43
LM10 wrote:

You are drastically overvaluing formal education, some of the dumbest people I've ever worked with have had phds!
I believe you, but those dumb people would then not be working for FIA or Formula 1. :)

subcritical71

LM10 wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 14:45
subcritical71 wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 13:46
A few experts for aerodynamics, engine, chassis and probably all the regulational questions occurring throughout a season can be answered.

If stewards are being supervised by other FIA experts in such questions, then it’s technically not the decision by the stewards themselves.
I don’t believe that are supervised by experts but being advised by an expert. In this way the stewards are still able to collect information, whether it be technical or expert opinion, and decide the applicability of the rules themselves.

Flanker27
Flanker27

gandharva wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 09:35
zibby43 wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 01:07
Mercedes given the all-clear to run the wheels as designed.
So, everyone will run such systems in the near future. Going to be fun next year when 30% of the solutions are then declared illegal because they could have aero importance.
For motorsport.com his decision apply only to this race... in next races different panels may have different opinion

bosyber
bosyber

Though that may just be because these stewards only decide on this race, right (and so only decided on this particular implementation of this idea).

pimpwerx
pimpwerx

ringo wrote:
26 Oct 2018, 00:14
Why i disagree with scarbs is blowing hot air through the wheels cannot keep heat away from them. You are actually putting heat into them. What he is saying would make sense if the wheels were already hot, and fresh cool air is being blown in to drive away that heat.
Cooling of the wheel is better done by having a brake duct that simply diverts air into the rim annuls.
I think the cooling theory makes the most sense, just based on how Merc behave on the grid. They consistently remove the rear tire warmers before the fronts. If they wanted to heat the tires with these wheels, they would keep the warmers on the rears longest. This is not the case, so they're somewhat undercutting the purpose of these wheels, if they're really for heating the tires.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The Mercedes has been good in wet conditions too, a situation where it's easy to cool the tyres too much. Even wets need heat in them, albeit less than slicks. Everything this season points to them needing to prevent heating of the tyres, not designing wheels to make them hotter.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.